Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 07:45   #1
zds

Cheap Waypoint in Melbourne, Florida

Hello,

I've been searching (with no success) for a place to leave a 34' sailboat for 2-4 weeks in the vicinity of Melbourne, Florida. Money is a factor, and I'd prefer a mooring to a slip. This is a waypoint during a 2-part passage from the Gulf up the East Coast. Anyone familiar with the area and able to give me a tip?

As background, and in case anyone has a better idea, I'm coming through the Okeechobee and then leaving the state for a few weeks. I need to leave the boat within decent vicinity of an airport to facilitate my return for the 2nd leg, and figure the Melbourne airport is the best bet.

Thanks.
zds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 07:59   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Cheap Waypoint in Melbourne, Florida

Connections into and out of Melbourne, Fla airport are not the best and also rather pricey. Orlando International is so close that there is little interest by the airlines in serving Melbourne.
- - You might be better to look at Fort Pierce which has a couple of good marinas or even Vero Beach which has a mooring field at the Muni Marina.
- - Anywhere north from Melbourne to Cocoa to Titusville you would take an Airport shuttle to Orlando International. But rentable moorings are scarce if they even exist. i have never seen any. But there are marinas and "city" marinas all along the ICW in that area that are not totally outrageously priced.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 17:43   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I second osirissail's comment about shuttles to Orlando. I just hauled my boat at the Cape Marina largely for that reason. Another to check out in the area is Harbourtown Marina. Link: Untitled Document
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 22:01   #4
zds

Harbourtown is an interesting looking marina, but I don't understand how Orlando is a deal. Airfares are the same to Orlando and Melbourne for me, and I can't figure out how to get from Orlando to (for example) Canaveral other than a $100 taxi ride. Melbourne is at least closer to the water, and there's public transit that goes up and down the coast (though not all the way to For Pierce, or to Harbourtown).

Any suggestions?

THanks.
Old 20-03-2011, 22:30   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean

Well, I'm pretty sure the gambling boats have buses that will take you to Canaveral. Stands to reason that there are other buses and shuttles, including Supershuttle?

Good luck!
ProtectTheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 04:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zds View Post
Harbourtown is an interesting looking marina, but I don't understand how Orlando is a deal. Airfares are the same to Orlando and Melbourne for me, and I can't figure out how to get from Orlando to (for example) Canaveral other than a $100 taxi ride. Melbourne is at least closer to the water, and there's public transit that goes up and down the coast (though not all the way to For Pierce, or to Harbourtown).
Any suggestions?
THanks.
You have not said where you are flying to? But your information about the cost from Orlando International to Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral is way off by a factor of more than two.
Orlando Airport Shuttle to Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach Airport Shuttle $45/person
- - Only Delta Connection and USAirways operate Commuter airline flights out of MLB airport and they only go to Atlanta and Charlotte. From there you have to get connections to whatever your destination is. General rule is if you have to use a "commuter" airline to connect to a main airline the costs are considerably higher that if you use a "mega-hub" like Orlando International with non-stops to most major cities in the USA and overseas.
- - But that is a general rule, you may be going somewhere closer in which case Trailways buses from Melbourne are probably a better deal - Bus Charter, Charter Bus Rentals, Bus Tickets and Charter
Old 21-03-2011, 06:11   #7

My friend/crew took a shuttle to the Orlando airport from the Cape Marina for $30. The cruise ships drive a demand for affordable shuttle services.

I can't speak to Melbourne - good to price flights, shuttles dockage at both and compare. By the way, according to my rate sheet, non-liveabard in a 40 foot slip at the Cape Marina is $182/week. A 32' slip is $154/week.
Old 21-03-2011, 13:05   #8
zds

All good info. Thanks everyone.

So, are there any dirt cheap moorings in the Cape Canaveral area? I have little interest in a slip when all I really need is a few weeks storage.

Thanks again.
Old 21-03-2011, 13:29   #9

If you are coming through the Okechobee Waterway, I believe the municipal marina in Stuart has moorings available. It's not exactly on your way, but the Miami area has a few places with Moorings available that would have cheap access to the Miami airport.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:23   #10

Quote:
All good info. Thanks everyone.

So, are there any dirt cheap moorings in the Cape Canaveral area? I have little interest in a slip when all I really need is a few weeks storage.

Thanks again.
Simple answer - NO. There are private moorings and areas where you can anchor for free - but - who is going to look after your boat while you are gone?
- - If there is nothing on the boat of value that could be stolen or if you really don't care if a passing thunderstorm/squall line blows your boat up on the shore or down the river, then just anchor it and go. Leaving a boat untended at anchor is purely a gamble. Chances are good that nothing will happen - but - you could be the one unlucky one.
Old 21-03-2011, 21:15   #11

Daytona has shuttles running to the Orlando airport and some cheap marinas.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:07   #12

Just a side note: if you are going to anchor/moor in the Indian River for 3 weeks or so you will have the equivalent of the Miami SeaAquarium's bulk of sea life hanging off your hull. And the propeller will resemble a basketball - perfectly round with growth.
- - So plan accordingly for the means and ability to scrap and clean you hull upon your return. Marinas have the same problem, but at least divers are available to do the work for you.
Old 26-03-2011, 11:14   #13

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Hello,

As background, and in case anyone has a better idea, I'm coming through the Okeechobee and then leaving the state for a few weeks.

Thanks.
How tall is your rig? There is a rail-road bridge on the canal that has 49' clearance (On Active Capitan chart), will you fit?
Old 29-03-2011, 08:46   #14

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime

If you want to go ~15mi. up the St Johns river, you can get to the Green Cove Springs Marina (9042841811).
They probably have a dock you can tie to very reasonably or a mooring.
Call Crystal and tell her DREAMTIME sent you, good luck.
You will need to "hire" someone at the yard to drive you to the airport, Jacksonville International (JAX).
BTW, it is a great DYI & storage yard.

On the Okeechobee waterway, the Indiantown Marina, can provide water barrels to heel your boat over if you need 1-2 ft. of extra clearance.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33   #15

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"

Check with the municipal marina in Titusville. They have just installed a mooring field, I think they are now taking boat. I heard $15/day including a water taxi and pumpouts.
It is the only mooring field in the area.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, florida