Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 08:17   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Carti Parts Delivery

I've heard of boats having parts delivered into Carti (San Blas) from elsewhere in Panama. Does anyone have experience with this? Contacts?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:44   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Carti Parts Delivery

Roger, in Panama City, has often helped cruisers by obtaining parts and putting them on either the jeeps to Carti or the airplane to Porvenier/Nargana. This has mostly worked out well, however, I know of one instance where an outboard was "lost" on the airplane an another instance where the Kuna's held up the stuff shipped by jeep for "duty" - which was an outrageous amount.

Probably a safer option is to take the jeep or plane into PC yourself and have Roger meet you with the parts and bring them back on you.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:21   #3

Thanks. Is this the same Roger associated w Cruisers Casa? If so, someome gave me his number today.
Old 28-04-2014, 21:04   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, that is him. A really fortunate and rare resource in cruiser-land. He has carved out a unique niche of being knowledgeable of cruiser-type issues, learning the ropes in solving them, acting as an advocate for cruisers within the Panamanian system, and charging extremely reasonable prices for his services.

Because of these simple things, he is in constant demand, fully (over)employed, and nobody else seems to have caught on to how easy it would be to cut into his business.

Everyone else just sees cruisers as prey and take what part-time random pickings they can.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 06:34   #5

Yes, folks like him do make cruising life easier (somewhat like Raul on the Rio...who could expand into Roger like services).

In my case, I bought some solar panels that I planned to install during our off season in Bocas. But, plans change, and we are now strongly considering spending our off season in Colombia while getting some work done in a yard there. Sure would work out better to get those panels aboard before we leave. Hopefully Roger can make that happen for me and the Kuna (who now have solar + lights on most populated islands) don't get too interested in those panels (3 x 130W Kyoceras).
Old 17-05-2014, 13:34   #6

Well...put the panels on Air Panama at Roger's suggestion. Got to PC right away, but they've now been sitting in PC for a few days waiting for a flight/space to Porvenir. Of course, we have very nice weather now for moving East...hopefully they sort this out soon.

Tags
delivery, parts