Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2015, 12:09   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Carnival Cruises to start going to Cuba

Market Watch headlines today " Carnival Corporation Granted U.S. Approval for Travel to Cuba".
Apparently this will began May 2016.

Just wondering how many of you hate Cruise Ships?

Every time I see one it makes me nauseated.
Now a place that has unparalleled beauty will again be ruined by these beasts.
They have been chewing up the deep reef structure with their anchors on Grand Cayman for years. And apparently it will only get worse.
I try and stay away from cruise ship infested areas but it is getting harder and harder. From what I have witnessed on various islands the taxi drivers, trinket sellers, and tour operators are about the only ones who prosper. Those cruise ship passengers don't eat in the restaurants or stay in the hotels. I guess they do shop in the ubiquitous jewelry stores that every island has and have a shared delusion that they are getting great deals. I realize not everyone has a boat but why not just visit an island and get to experience the culture. I think that every cruise ship dock looks the same with the same type shops and "deals".
Maybe it's time for me to leave the caribbean......are there cruise ships in the Marquesas ?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, Cuba