Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57   #1

Caribbean Islands - Suggestions?

hi everybody,
i'm new one,writin' from italy and i'm looking for some suggestions in order to plan (as possible...)my next voyage;next winter i'm going to cross the atlantic from canarias with some friends and sailing around caribean.

now the big issues:
i'd like to spend some months around caribbeans-probably 'till spring 2010-and i've heard bad news about fees,entry taxes and so on;i'd like to visist as much as possible,looking for quite (and safe where possible...) places and beaches where anchoring,avoiding troubles,and spending few time in marinas.

It's my first time in caribean-i've just been in brazil as first crossing-so any suggestion will be welcome

thanks in advance

giuseppe
fedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:02   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, guiseppe, and welcome aboard!

The fees associated with visiting the various islands here in the eastern Caribbean are the least of your worries, compared to the costs of owning and cruising a boat. For example, you can come to Nevis and stay for a month for about US$12, plus the cost of a government-owned mooring at US$20 per week. Dutch St. Maarten and the BVI are probably the most expensive islands to cruise, but their fees will not break the bank.

Take a look at the "Countries" section of www.noonsite.com for specific information about clearing in to the various islands, including fees. Chris Doyle's cruising guides are a great source of all sorts of information, as well.
Old 08-06-2009, 20:46   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I just returned south from the BVI's and the cost for my 50ft boat and 2 people was US$24.55 for one month. Yes, the Dutch St Maarten is probably the most expensive while the French St Martin is supposed to match the cost, but recent reports have the French adopting a "don't tell, we won't ask" about where you are anchored so the fees are reasonable. Other islands range from free for Guadeloupe and Martinique to about as high as US$30 +/- a little, for the rest of the islands.
Marinas are not cheap, but anchoring is generally free. There are some national parks/zones that charge fees but they are rare and there are alternatively places that are just as nice.
The big consideration in my humble opinion is to research and review the security reports for each island and avoid isolated anchorages in favor of "staying in the herd" with other cruisers when picking a place to stop. That along with an up to date Cruising Guide or two can help you select the "wonderful" places and avoid the "not-wonderful" places. Security is a growing concern in the Caribbean but with some research and common sense, you can have a significantly glorious time without unpleasant incidents. It just takes a little time to research and plan just like visiting any major European city or region. Common sense and a bit of preparation can result in a wonderful time.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:57   #4

thanks a lot,
i'm gonna look for noonsite and make some researchs about islands.
ehar you soon

giù
fedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 16:00   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Giuseppe,
Over the past year we have sailed the west coast of Italy from France to Sicily and then the Caribbean from Barbados to the BVI. While the food was better in Italy and good wine much cheaper, the Caribbean is much less expensive. In Italy most anchorages have no charges and some Caribbean places do have charges, but marinas in the Caribbean are much less expensive (even cheaper with the current value of the Euro).
As far as safety, the above suggestions are right. But those ideas apply to many places in the world. We had no problems staying in Naples and no issues in the Caribbean.
Have a great trip!
Enjoy
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean