Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11   #1

Thumbs up Suggestions on Mixing Cruising & Chartering in Caribbean

Hello All....Terryc Here.....My First Post....I am exploring mixing a cruising and crewed charter lifestyle. As a US citizen I assume I can operate out of US Virgins but have no idea about other island countries. For example could I pick up clients in St. Lucia or BVI without special permit. Would like to hear from anyone that has done any type of crewed charters. I am thinking about offering charter in Jan-April timeframe and cruising the rest of the year.
Should I focus on day charters, 3 day 2 night, 7 day 6 night, captain only or offer gourmet meals w/ chef, appreciate any an all feedback.
Anyone have or know of established business for sale??

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sailaway from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
terryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:27   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 - RUSH
You didn't mention your certifications. Offering crewed charters in the BVIs requires at least an RYA Yachtmaster cert. and a work permit from the local govt. USCG Captains license would be a requisite for the USVI.
You can check the "for sale" columns in most Sailing Mags for crewed charter operations that may be available. You may also want to check the on-line Caribbean magazine at All At Sea August 2007 Issue for businesses for sale.
Ehumpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23   #3

Ehumpal,

Just curious...when did the RYA requirement come into the BVI? In 99/2000 you could take up to 20 people out without a license. I'm pretty sure 20 was the number.

Is that a BVI government requirement or a broker preference? I do know brokers, at the above time frame, liked to list that you had USCG or RYA, but it wasn't a law as far as I know. No big deal, just interesting to me.

Terry,

At those above mentioned dates I did get my own BVI Trade License for Luxury Crewed Charter on my own....didn't pay any agents. Took maybe 30 days tops. Other people were still waiting after forking over 2,000usd for the local 'connected' person to push it through. I don't remember what the Trade License cost, but wasn't much.

Things change, of course...all I'm saying is take what others say into consideration yet see what you can do on your own.

You might want to check into flagging your boat in the BVI and picking people up if needed on the US side. One did need a BVI lawyer to do that back then and it took forever and it is more expensive, but then your're a BVI boat and don't have to pay higher fees everytime you clear in and out. Again, back then, it cost nothing to clear in and out of the US side to pick people up.

I met many crews that had been there for years and they were saying the US side wasn't as welcoming.....more regs, petty USCG stuff, etc. I wouldn't be surprised though if the BVI side has adopted these things.

Just suggestions to check out....might very well be totally different now. You might try asking Josh or Bob Carson at !! Southern Trades Yacht Sales in the BVI !! I think they have or work with a crewed charter brokerage. Nice people. They've been there a long time and are an American family.

I can email a husband/wife cat team that are crewing right now if you like to see if they can provide any insight for you. They're Brits and have been there at least two years on two different cats. PM me if you like.

best - Jay
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 19:29   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When we were in Bequia, we met people who doing the chartering and cruising thing based there. They didn't have any trouble with the government in running their charter operation. So you might want to check out Bequia in St Vincent and the Grenadines.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehumpal
You didn't mention your certifications. Offering crewed charters in the BVIs requires at least an RYA Yachtmaster cert. and a work permit from the local govt. USCG Captains license would be a requisite for the USVI.
You can check the "for sale" columns in most Sailing Mags for crewed charter operations that may be available. You may also want to check the on-line Caribbean magazine at All At Sea August 2007 Issue for businesses for sale.
Thanks Ehumpal.....I have 6 pack license in US ....What does a RYA Cert require? Thanks Terry I wil check out All At Sea August Issue...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:14   #6

Thanks Ehumpal.....I have 6 pack license in US ....What does a RYA Cert require? Thanks Terry I wil check out All At Sea August Issue...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:22   #7

Jay...Thanks for all your information.....I will definetly call Josh and Bob Carson and would really appreciated getting hooked up with the husband wife team you mentioned...
Cheers Terry
Old 05-08-2007, 07:24   #8

Thanks Dave...I will put Bequia on the list..Did the folks you met do mostly day sails or extended overnight trips? This is a great site ...already have lots of TO Do's on my list
Cheers Terry

Tags
Caribbean