Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2024, 13:11   #16

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Best cruising East Coast of North America

We have circumnavigated and been to many fabulous spots from Easter Island to southern Indonesia to St. Helena and the most interesting cruising ground I have ever visited is the south coast of Newfoundland. Forget about swimming, but for example we anchored (deep!) at the head of one fiord and had a 1200' cliff on one side and and an 1100' cliff on the other (with a waterfall). At the head of the fiord you could see for miles into the interior. In three weeks we saw one other cruising boat moving and perhaps eight in a few harbours. For a bonus, you can go to St Pierre which is part of France.
Old 18-04-2024, 02:42   #17

Agree with 99% of OP's list. Except one fly in the ointment - lobster bouys. But since I have learned to sail in New England I feel like they part of the program. Like noseeums in Florida or a big swell on the Left Coast.

My 1% departure from the list would be to put Maine at the top and So. N.E. 2nd.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 03:34   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Southern NE has a lot less lobster buoys than Maine!
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 03:36   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Canada has a lobster season without bouys.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 04:04   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I love all these places mentioned above, but my childhood home was Florida. Fortunately, my Florida is not the tourist glitz and tiki bars, but the edges of the Everglades, the upper St. Johns south of Jacksonville and the west coast from Cape Sable up to Tarpon Springs as well as the panhandle...'Destin, Carabelle, Shell Point, Panacea.... I love to anchor in Little Shark River where the mangroves are 50 foot high trees with a day anchorage the 12 miles of beach attached to no roads and no people. 'probably what Miami Beach looked like in the early 19th century. Most people don't know that this florida exists as a gunkholers paradise.
Old 18-04-2024, 04:24   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The Chesapeake is right up there too: thousands of interesting destinations, great for supplies, fuel, repairs, lots of other sailors, but it is too hot and humid in the summer, swimming is iffy because of stinging nettles, many anchorages feature iffy holding in stinky ooze, thunderstorms every afternoon, and lack of interesting terrain features.

How about you?
Sailing up North near Cape Cod etc., has been known to be a great place for cruising, but the Chesapeake Bay is quite nice as well.

To avoid what we locals call "Sea Nettles," stay in the Southern Bay. The Sea Nettles today are nothing like they used to be when the Bay would be nearly white in spots due to so many.

Swimming is great in places like Kiptopeke and Smith's Beach and I haven't seen a Sea Nettle there in years. Anchoring depends on the wind direction in these spots. You can get beat up at both spots if the wind is wrong.

I used an old CQR anchor for the first 10 years I owned this boat and had no problems with holding.

I'm talking the area from Norfolk North about 100 miles both sides.

As teens we used our power boats from Pungoteague Creek on the Eastern Shore North to Deep Creek and out to Watts and Tangier Islands.

Onancock Creek is the only one up that way on the East Side where there is civilization or a place to go after you get there. Onancock has a Restaurant right there at the Wharf. Onancock Creek is about 5 miles long with 8' depth all the way in.

Down South, Cape Charles has a restaurant in easy walking distance of the Harbor. Kiptopeke has great hiking and there is a shower in the park's rest room and a little store during the season a mile or so from the beach. (or they were building one)

Occohannock Creek is nice, but shallow at low tide with one spot around 4' deep in mid channel.

MobJack Bay on the Western Side has several very nice, protected anchorages on its various creeks.

Most times there will be very few boats in these areas if any.

I have sailed and anchor overnight most weekends and vacations all Spring, Summer and Fall since 2011 and have only been caught in 3-5 squalls/thunderstorms.

Many nights you can hear them but only get a bit of winds.

Photos from Kiptopeke a few years back. You can see one 2 masted sailboat behind the cement ships shore side in one photo as I approach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00331.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	288992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00336.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	288993  

Name:	DSC00337.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	288994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00339.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	288995  

Name:	DSC00340.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	288996  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 04:33   #22

Quote:
Fortunately, my Florida is not the tourist glitz and tiki bars, but the edges of the Everglades, the upper St. Johns south of Jacksonville and the west coast from Cape Sable up to Tarpon Springs as well as the panhandle...'Destin, Carabelle, Shell Point, Panacea.... I love to anchor in Little Shark River where the mangroves are 50 foot high trees with a day anchorage the 12 miles of beach attached to no roads and no people. 'probably what Miami Beach looked like in the early 19th century. Most people don't know that this florida exists as a gunkholers paradise.
Yes, there is some wonderful gunkholing available in Florida! But, I would argue you don't have the wonderful sailing from harbor to harbor, with your pick of interesting anchorages almost no matter what the wind is doing. And, unfortunately, many communities no longer allow anchoring, or are downright unfriendly to boaters. But, I bet you know the secret spots where you can still gunkhole and get away from it all...
Old 18-04-2024, 04:44   #23

There are good anchoring spots where folks don't bother you in Florida, and they are along the Florida Gulf Coast.

I have seen lots of boats in good anchorages when sailing from Ft Walton Beach as far West as Biloxi, MS.

If you like crowds, lots of folks sail from Pensacola over by the Pass to Ft Mcree every weekend anchor and party all weekend. You can hike up to the old Fort there also.

On the outside, there are passes every 50 miles or so.

I never had an anchor the 12 years I sailed there though but do know the spots where I'll anchor if I sail down there now.

Back then we'd just pulled our beach cats up on the beach and faced them into the wing with mainsail up to go hiking etc.
Old 18-04-2024, 04:47   #24

There are good anchoring spots where folks don't bother you in Florida, and they are along the Florida Gulf Coast.

I have seen lots of boats in good anchorages when sailing from Panama City as far West as Biloxi, MS.

If you like crowds, lots of folks sail from Pensacola over by the Pass to Ft Mcree, anchor and party all weekend every weekend. You can hike up to the old Fort there also.

On the outside, there are passes every 50 miles or so.

I never had an anchor the 12 years I sailed there though but do know the spots where I'll anchor if I sail down there now. Back then I just pulled my beach cats up on the beach and faced them into the wing with mainsail up to go hiking etc.
Old 18-04-2024, 04:50   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Yes, there is some wonderful gunkholing available in Florida! But, I would argue you don't have the wonderful sailing from harbor to harbor, with your pick of interesting anchorages almost no matter what the wind is doing. And, unfortunately, many communities no longer allow anchoring, or are downright unfriendly to boaters. But, I bet you know the secret spots where you can still gunkhole and get away from it all...
Sure, you're right! This is probably why we spent so many summers cruising up to Maine and sailing in the Newport/Block Island area. We particularly liked that anchorage behind Napatree Beach at Watch Hill. The winds, mosquitos and general weather are so much better in Florida's Winter! This is why cruising means moving!
Old 18-04-2024, 05:46   #26

Quote:
The winds, mosquitos and general weather are so much better in Florida's Winter! This is why cruising means moving!
And, no hurricanes in the winter! Plus, the Bahamas is nearby, where you could spend a lifetime cruising. Like they say, 700 islands in 700 miles. https://www.mywanderlustylife.com/70...f-the-bahamas/
Old 18-04-2024, 07:04   #27

By the way, I started this thread not to disparage other areas, but instead to point out what I see as the advantages of Southern New England. I've really enjoyed cruising everywhere between Canada and the Caribbean, and each area has its own unique features and also some negatives. You can find interesting cruising almost anywhere. Photo of Tarpaulin Cove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0256.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	289000  
Old 18-04-2024, 13:38   #28

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
By the way, I started this thread not to disparage other areas, but instead to point out what I see as the advantages of Southern New England. I've really enjoyed cruising everywhere between Canada and the Caribbean, and each area has its own unique features and also some negatives. You can find interesting cruising almost anywhere. Photo of Tarpaulin Cove.

Great pic of Tarpaulin Cove. I have only stopped there to wait out a current change/lunch/swim after coming through Quick's Hole from Buzzards Bay. Always wondered if it was ok overnight, will have to give it a try. We usually tuck in a bit further behind the lighthouse to get out of the southwesterly and wakes from Vineyard Sound, but it looks like you had a north wind. I imagine it is perfect in those conditions. Sorry about the sideways pic!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	289009  
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 13:50   #29

Quote:
I have only stopped there to wait out a current change/lunch/swim after coming through Quick's Hole from Buzzards Bay. Always wondered if it was ok overnight, will have to give it a try.
It's a great place to overnight with a typical summer southwest breeze, and you're right, tuck in down in the corner near the house ashore. Believe it or not a few years ago I was the only boat in there overnight in July. During the day it is busier, but most boats leave before nightfall. Walk up to the lighthouse for a great view of Vineyard Sound.
Old 18-04-2024, 15:01   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeve21 View Post
Great pic of Tarpaulin Cove. I have only stopped there to wait out a current change/lunch/swim after coming through Quick's Hole from Buzzards Bay. Always wondered if it was ok overnight, will have to give it a try. We usually tuck in a bit further behind the lighthouse to get out of the southwesterly and wakes from Vineyard Sound, but it looks like you had a north wind. I imagine it is perfect in those conditions. Sorry about the sideways pic!
Nice pic!

Rotated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	289017  

Tags
cruising, east coast