Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26
Advice on where to charter for spring break

My wife and I are starting our bareboat journey in january with a live aboard class for 101/103/104/114. We're planning to charter in March 2019 with a captain and are looking for advice on where to go. If this second trip goes well we'll return in the summer for a true bareboat trip with the family.

For spring it will be my wife and I, our boys 8 and 10, and my dad and step-mom. I sorta want everything and know that's impossible so I'm hoping you guys can steer me where to go for a bunch of people who have never spent multiple nights on a boat.

Ideally warmish water (80F) and air. We've been to Exuma, St Maarten/Anguilla, Jamaica, USVI, Keys before on vacation and I'm nervous Bahamas won't be warm enough. It looks like in March VI temps will be around 80 in the water and I'm leaning towards this destination, though flights are pricey from Indianapolis.

We'll be chartering a catamaran. Goals are to have a live aboard experience, make stops at deserted beaches, eat at some restaurants, fish, snorkel, and have some open water sailing time.

I'd appreciate any advice this board can provide, thanks!
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02   #2

Re: Advice on where to charter for spring break

I would strongly recommend sending Contrail a note here on the Forum. He is based out of the beautiful BVI, and, not to speak for him, but he is very knowledgeable, has a great deal of experience and is an ASA instructor also. For what you have described on your wants, it sounds to me that he would fit your needs perfectly.

From one Hoosier to another - you're welcome!!
piratelooksat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:06   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Advice on where to charter for spring break

BVI sounds like it would be a good destination for you.

If you wanted more open water sailing, St Lucia to Grenada or the reverse or just starting and ending in either would give you more open water sailing. From St. Lucia, you could always go North as well. We moved our both for St. Lucia to the BVI and our first leg was overnight from St. Lucia to Guadeloupe. We stayed at Isle de Saints which was awesome. We'd go back there in a second. With other stops, you could do all that sailing during the day too.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter