Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 18:50   #1

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35
Advice on Cruising to Cuba - 2011

I have a real bug to cruise to Cuba this coming April...I have about a month and would consider combining it with a little Bahama sailing or spend the whole time in Cuba. I'm wondering if any Americans have made the trip lately? Actual experience/tips would be ideal! I've browsed a lot of forums and I know there are conflicting views...but if it's not "illegal" to go there, and only "illegal" to spend money there...well, I could make myself self sufficient! I've been to many other places where "I wasn't supposed to be" but all worked out fine... What's the best way of going about a trip to Cuba? Thanks for your input!
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 19:23   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
At this time O'bama is allowing USA's to go to Cuba for special reasons only. New US law eases Cuba sanctions - Democratic Underground

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7938737.stm

Do a search in the forum under Cuba. Lots of info there.
Old 30-01-2011, 19:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I think the government saw through that loophole a while ago. US citizen going to Cuba risks fine, boat confiscation and general persecution. Don't know if it really happens but one worry I don't need. I'm waiting until they relax the rules. Hoping that comes soon.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 19:56   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance
Cruising in Cuba 10 things to watch for.

I have been to Cuba about 10 times. Not by boat however, I am a Canadian, and it's perfectly legal for us to go.

Here is the basic things you need to know.

You will not be able to go without spending money. Cruising in Cuba might not be as easy and fun as you might expect.

1) You are not allowed to Anchor where ever you please, actually most places are out of bounds.

2) You have to file a sail plan when you arrive, and will need to list all the places you plan to go, and spend the night. You will need it approved by their Guarda (Coast Guard). They will deny many of the places you plan to anchor.

3) They want you spend money in their Marinas most nights.

4) If you can't make it to an anchorage or Marina, as part of your sail plan, they will look at you suspiciously.

5) Cubans are not allowed to be on a boat or even in the water in some extreme cases. They are always worried about them escaping.

6) You are not allowed to leave your boat unattended at an anchorage, fear of locals stealing the boat to escape. Forget about Dinghying especially if you are alone.

7) If you get stuck on a reef or sand bar, or anything. You will not get any assistance. They want you to leave your boat to look for help. Then they will claim your boat as salvage.

8) If you hit a reef, and manage to get yourself off, if the Guara are aware of it, they will in pound your boat, and demand payment for damage to the reef. The last two points, I am personally aware of Canadians who suffered exactly that. They demanded $50,000 for reef damage. Put the skipper in jail until it was paid. He had a choice of paying it, losing his boat.

9) Cubans, don't care if you are American, Canadian, or European, they just want to make money. THey will not stamp your passport if you ask. It can be done, but be very careful, Make sure you have good charts. I don't think there are any chips available, but I could be wrong.

10) Lastly, if you still want to do this trip I would suggest doing it in a floatilla of cruisers. When we were in Georgetown, Bahamas, there were several cruisers planning to do it together, share charts, and help each other when grounded, and go shopping while others watched their boats.

Otherwise it's a very nice country, beaches, but they make it difficult to enjoy.

My blog: Blogging aboard Black Diamond!
Radonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 20:36   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radonic View Post
Otherwise it's a very nice country, beaches, but they make it difficult to enjoy.
Otherwise?
Old 31-01-2011, 11:23   #6
cruiser

Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501
If I was to sneak into Cuba I sure wouldn't take my vessel there... much too much to lose; too many chances to take.. leave the boat in a safe port and fly there from Mexico. If you think the USCG doesn't follow vessels coming and going to Cuba you're kidding yourself..

biminijimini
biminijimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 11:29   #7

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
aside from the advice given previously, be aware, your own government could end up being your worst nightmare. Even if you fly in from the Bahamas or Mexico, the possible repercussions are just not worth it.
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 11:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Support your local church?

My reading of the situation suggests that if (say) you can get your local church to give you some supplies to take to a related church in Cuba and a letter asking you to do this then you could be able to get approval for your trip.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 11:53   #9

Man, skip Cuba and enjoy the Calle Ocho (March 13, Miami) instead.

I know a fellow who evidently insulted a military officer (he was half-drunk and never knew exactly what offense he committed) and was charged with crimes against the govt. He served 12 years in a dungeon, with only pasta for food. He was allowed weekly conjugal visits, but his wife was routinely forced to service the guards while he watched. His wife arranged for them to escape (small skiff) to Florida once he was released, but his wife and children were detained, and only he made it out of Cuba. Sad story, bro...
vbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:04   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The new regulations proposed may be a bit confusing. The organization itself will be licensed to allow travel and it will issue permits to members. So if your church is approved, your church can approve members to go to Cuba. That will be a bit difficult to justify on a boat. There are currently two bills before congress that have a lot of support to totally lift the travel ban and the embargo. So get you congressman on board to support it if you want to go. Contrary to Radonic's post, we found it to be one of our favorite cruising grounds in the entire Caribbean. A copy of our Soundings article is on our Sea Trek website, http://tinyurl.com/5vwojl4 and you will find some of what he says included in our article. Its all part of the adventure. Although it has been a few years, the information is still pretty accurate. We have been in regular contact with Commodore Escrich at the Havana Yacht Club regarding the ongoing process of getting Cuba ready for the influx of American Boats once the ban is lifted. We do plan a return trip as soon as it is possible and practical. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:07   #11

Well I do not recognize the Cuba that I visited from these posts!
We spent 2 months there, two seasons ago. We found the bureaucracy hefty but easy to deal with, we found no corruption, we felt extremely safe at all times.
Checking in was simple, no worse than any other Central American country. We stayed in one marina, when we left the boat to travel inland, no problems. The Cubans went out of their way to help us.
We had three sets of visitors at different times, again no problem joining or leaving the boat.
Not once were we told that we could not anchor in any of our requested choices.
If there is a marina you are obliged to stay there, but there aren't very many!

We met a total of three boats inn that time flying the USA flag, two of them were on second or subsequent visits.
USA bank cards are not accepted and changing dollars will cost you a 10% premium. Euros or $ Canadian are best.

We loved the place and are heading there next month for a return visit.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada.

For the latest information on U.S. regulations governing travel to Cuba and to view the most accurate and updated travel restrictions information, see the Department of Treasury's OFAC website.
Cuba Sanctions

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 13:22   #13

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35
AnnK...just curious...are you an US flagged boat?
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 14:11   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radonic View Post
I have been to Cuba about 10 times. Not by boat however, I am a Canadian, and it's perfectly legal for us to go.

Here is the basic things you need to know.

You will not be able to go without spending money. Cruising in Cuba might not be as easy and fun as you might expect.

1) You are not allowed to Anchor where ever you please..........
Just curious, but how do you know all these things if you have never experienced being there on yiour own boat?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 21:14   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrent View Post
Man, skip Cuba and enjoy the Calle Ocho (March 13, Miami) instead.

I know a fellow who evidently insulted a military officer (he was half-drunk and never knew exactly what offense he committed) and was charged with crimes against the govt. He served 12 years in a dungeon, with only pasta for food. He was allowed weekly conjugal visits, but his wife was routinely forced to service the guards while he watched. His wife arranged for them to escape (small skiff) to Florida once he was released, but his wife and children were detained, and only he made it out of Cuba. Sad story, bro...

Sorry But I have been around Cuba, and Cuban Officials enough to know, that your story is an urban legend and simply not true...
Radonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, cuba