Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 12:08   #496

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

If you are a non eu boat you still have to checkin every time you enter a marina and moor up you are suppose to check in even if you anchor in a bay where port authorities are prime example is Amorgos island there they tend to hunt you down from time to time. If you are an eu boat only every 30 days and you still have to pay marina fees where they ask
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:10   #497
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Well, the tax doesn't seem to be effecting the marinas this year. Here is a response e-mail I received today for a berth reservation in Kos. Gotta love them adding 3 meters onto my boat due to being busy.

Dear Mr. ,
Thank you for the contact.
Due to the high demand we would like to inform you that currently we could offer you a berth afloat for a s/y with the category for loa of 20m on the alongside pier of KOS MARINA.
Please find following the offer for your boat S/Y PALARRAN, Loa 17m.
Old 28-04-2014, 13:34   #498
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
If you are an eu boat only every 30 days and you still have to pay marina fees where they ask
jeepers I never bothered with that

dave
Old 29-04-2014, 01:11   #499
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
So, no need to do paper work anymore at each port? If water and electricity are not needed there is nothing to pay? It seem too good to be true.
Not quite.

PP paperwork visits every 30 days, or when called for, will no longer be required.

It is not yet clear if/how the "old style" harbour dues will be collected.
Quote:
Beneteau-500.
If you are a non eu boat you still have to checkin every time you enter a marina and moor up you are suppose to check in even if you anchor in a bay
No longer.

That was the "old style" system. As far as I know at the moment, non-EU boats will be treated the same way as EU boats once the TPP starts being collected.
Quote:
If you are an eu boat only every 30 days and you still have to pay marina fees where they ask
30 day visits to PP are cancelled.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 02:07   #500

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Thank you Jim.

I still wonder if they will be capable of collecting the tax in May, or June, or anytime this year! Things just don't move that fast in Greece... Well accept for a few Greek bus drivers!
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 02:16   #501

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Just one last thought...

This is NOT a wealth tax. Because boat size is no indication of wealth.
There are boats way smaller than mine that cost many times more... There are people that live on large, oldish boats, and this is their only possession having sold everything they own ashore to follow a dream... Very few of these people are rich people.

This is nothing more than a tax and a badly conceived one at that. But Greece is not unique in this respect when it comes to introducing ill conceived and badly thought out taxes.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 07:06   #502

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Not quite.

PP paperwork visits every 30 days, or when called for, will no longer be required.

It is not yet clear if/how the "old style" harbour dues will be collected.
No longer.

That was the "old style" system. As far as I know at the moment, non-EU boats will be treated the same way as EU boats once the TPP starts being collected.

30 day visits to PP are cancelled.

JimB
If that works it would be a major improvement. It was a pain in the ass to have to go looking for the PP, some times miles away (Mykonos for instance) and to be subjected to their timetables and sometimes considerable delays, even for a EC boat.

I have a boat slightly bigger than 12m so I am not very worried but it is stupid not to be able to pay for a monthly stay on boats with less than 12 m.

If the town quays are included on the new tax (out of electricity and water) I would find it fair (with the above exception).
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:40   #503
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
Just one last thought...

This is NOT a wealth tax. Because boat size is no indication of wealth.
There are boats way smaller than mine that cost many times more... There are people that live on large, oldish boats, and this is their only possession having sold everything they own ashore to follow a dream... Very few of these people are rich people.

This is nothing more than a tax and a badly conceived one at that. But Greece is not unique in this respect when it comes to introducing ill conceived and badly thought out taxes.
Well I read that the troika persistently has pointed out to Greece, the disparity between reported income and trophy asset ownership. For tax collection, boat length has been historically used as a measure of the value of the boat, and in general its a reasonable metric.

Irrespective of its purposes, wealth or otherwise, its of course a tax. I don't see it as ill-conceived. ( unless you think all taxes are ill-conceived). why would you see it as ill-conceived. ( and don't use the , "no-one will visit greece, thats not yet proven at all").

Quote:
There are people that live on large, oldish boats, and this is their only possession having sold everything they own ashore to follow a dream
Then in their case its a property tax, and as property taxes go, quite reasonable.

Dave
Old 29-04-2014, 12:59   #504

It doesn't matter whether it is called a cruising tax, wealth tax, property tax or a clown tax

Regardless, Greece is still a reasonably cheap place to to cruise and good value for money with so many locations to go, whether you like to anchor or tie up at a town quay (even if the facilities are run down or non-existant).

Greece has also been a cheap/free place for people to dump piles of junk on town quays and if the tax drives these tight-arses away then fantastic

For anyone who keeps their yachts there full time, paying the tax will not be fun (but what tax is) but it s not a disaster
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:14   #505

This thread sometimes feels very much like this....

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:57   #506
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

We checked in from Turkey to Rhodes late April this year, and just checkout out from Corfu, bound for Croatia.

We are on a Canadian flagged boat with Canadian passports. This was our experience:

The transit log is the same. However, we were specifically told that we only needed to get the stamp every 30 days unless, of course, you are actually tied up at a town quay in which case you are supposed to go and check in and pay your harbour dues.

As Canadians with a Canadian boat we were given a 6-month permit. This is, of course, not in line with the rest of the EU where we (at least the boat) are allowed 18 months before we have to pay VAT. Had we checked in with our EU passports we would have been given only 1 month (again, at variance with the rest of the EU). None of this has changed since we were here the year before.

We were given a new form - essentially a crew list - which we were to hand in at our final port (ie Corfu) before departing the country.

All the rest was the same as previously. No sign of any new tax.

The Greeks continue to be helpful and friendly, and said that they are trying to cut down the bureaucracy associated with cruising.

So, that is the very latest.

Get down here and go cruising before they do actually implement the new tax :-)

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 17:26   #507
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Did they charge you the transit log tax? I've been in Greek waters for a while and they still haven't charged me anything.
Old 10-05-2014, 18:37   #508

i dont understand how it works at all
Tsofli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 19:31   #509
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
As Canadians with a Canadian boat we were given a 6-month permit.

what 6 month permit , there is no permit associated with Temporary Import Relief.

dave
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23   #510
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
what 6 month permit , there is no permit associated with Temporary Import Relief.
In Greece, more commonly known as a "transit log". Given to non-EU boats instead of a DEKPA. Extendable up to 18 months on payments every 3 months.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, water, yacht