Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 08:17   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: Anchoring in Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In my experience, the anchoring on the Turkish Aegean coast is excellent. There are rarely any crowds anywhere, and the holding has been good everywhere I have been -- quite a contrast to Croatia.
You're quite right, of course. I intended to refer more to the technique of using lines ashore. The deep coves I encountered were mainly around the islands and peninsulas near Marmara, in the sea of Marmara. Sloppy writing, eh. Sorry.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45   #32

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Turkey and Croatia both are among my very favorite cruising areas. The Turkish Aegean coast is simply spectacularly beautiful, and besides that you have great infrastructure, reasonable prices, fabulous food, and extremely friendly people.
I am interested on that information. I have been there last year and maybe I go there this year but the places I have been were more crowded than the Cyclades or some Dodecanese Islands. Yes I sailed out of touristic parts to the North, the sailboats disappeared, appeared the fish farms but then the friendly people disappeared too.

Specifically of what areas are you talking about? I would like very much to find areas not so crowded and with friendly people.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:45   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

I am interested on that information. I have been there last year and maybe I go there this year but the places I have been were more crowded than the Cyclades or some Dodecanese Islands. Yes I sailed out of touristic parts to the North, the sailboats disappeared, appeared the fish farms but then the friendly people disappeared too.

Specifically of what areas are you talking about? I would like very much to find areas not so crowded and with friendly people.
Once you get 50 miles from the big charter bases in Bodrum/Yalikavik or Marmaris you will lose the crowds. I especially loved the Dacha peninsula. Just ask any Turkish sailor and you'll get lots of tips.

As to friendly people - never encountered unfriendly people anywhere in Turkey in the course of at least 30 visits over the last 20 years. It's an extremely polite, orderly, and pleasant country - with such extraordinary things to offer the visitor. A top destination.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 15:36   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:

The main sailing area of Turkey is the coast between Bodrum and Finike. In this area and in high season (Mid June through mid September) I agree that most of the bays are crowded. The term "crowded" is of course relative but in my view not more crowded than many popular Dodocanese islands such as Simi, Rhodes, Khalki,etc. (Göçek bays are probably an exception and they are very crowded mostly with local boaters and daily tour boats)

You are right on yr remarks about fish farms, it was much worse until couple of years ago. With increasing environmental pressures, some of them have been moved further north or totally removed.

As to yr psychodemographic observation stating that the people are less friendly towards north, I tend to disagree. For almost every counry in Europe , the norther you go you find people not unfriendly but a bit cooler, distant, less talkative. In Turkey, the behaviour in the coastal area starting from Georgia down to Syria is very similar; friendly , warmer, talkative, a bit lazy too in southern coasts because of hot climate.. People living inland on the harsher climate and geography are a bit tougher, particularly towards east of country. But traditional hospitality has always been there as well.. These regions are poorer in income but they can share everything they have with their guests.

You must have fallen on some people which are statiscally irrelevant..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 17:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
You must have fallen on some people which are statistically irrelevant..
Cheers
Yeloya
That's funny!!!

No what I am saying is that while the touristic and urban areas are kind of western in culture the ones on the coast to the North are kind of strong rural Muslim culture where you fell that westerners are not welcomed. Kind of being on an anchorage with a beach where all women are taking bath fully clothed and when I swim to land I am being looked by all with distrust as asking me what the hell I am doing there, that kind of feeling. I was looking for a restaurant but the only one that I found out had been burned...and piles of garbage everywhere. Nice place though, I mean without the garbage.

I kind of like other cultural flavors but I don't feel well when I feel I am not welcomed.

To know of what I am talking about go to my forum and look in September 2014 the post about Turkey (I cannot post a link).
Old 12-01-2015, 01:51   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
That's funny!!!

No what I am saying is that while the touristic and urban areas are kind of western in culture the ones on the coast to the North are kind of strong rural Muslim culture where you fell that westerners are not welcomed. Kind of being on an anchorage with a beach where all women are taking bath fully clothed and when I swim to land I am being looked by all with distrust as asking me what the hell I am doing there, that kind of feeling. I was looking for a restaurant but the only one that I found out had been burned...and piles of garbage everywhere. Nice place though, I mean without the garbage.

I kind of like other cultural flavors but I don't feel well when I feel I am not welcomed.

To know of what I am talking about go to my forum and look in September 2014 the post about Turkey (I cannot post a link).
I never had that feeling anywhere in Turkey, even in the Eastern parts. Of course you need to show respect for local ways, and you need to take the time to learn some words of Turkish language, and you need some patience to overcome the natural shyness of people who live in remote areas, but the hospitality in these places is indescribable. It's really important to feel the accepted tones of voice and manner of conversation -- it's really different in Turkey from Europe -- you have to speak softly and politely always showing respect -- you can't just walk up to strangers and jabber away and gesticulate like we do in Europe. In Istanbul and Bodrum and Antalya people are used to European ways, but once you get out into more remote areas, these will seem rude to people, and they may recoil. I have been in exactly the same position -- looking for a restaurant in a village where there was none -- and ended up being invited to have dinner at home with complete strangers to share a splendid repast and a bottle of raki.

And yes, there are piles of garbage in some places, and fields which people use as open-air toilets, too. It's a paradox of Turkey that the country is highly developed and advanced in many places and aspects (seemingly more civilized, sometimes, than some Southern European countries) and somewhat medieval in some other places.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:32   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
I never had that feeling anywhere in Turkey, even in the Eastern parts. Of course you need to show respect for local ways, and you need to take the time to learn some words of Turkish language, and you need some patience to overcome the natural shyness of people who live in remote areas, but the hospitality in these places is indescribable. It's really important to feel the accepted tones of voice and manner of conversation -- it's really different in Turkey from Europe -- you have to speak softly and politely always showing respect -- you can't just walk up to strangers and jabber away and gesticulate like we do in Europe. In Istanbul and Bodrum and Antalya people are used to European ways, but once you get out into more remote areas, these will seem rude to people, and they may recoil. I have been in exactly the same position -- looking for a restaurant in a village where there was none -- and ended up being invited to have dinner at home with complete strangers to share a splendid repast and a bottle of raki.

And yes, there are piles of garbage in some places, and fields which people use as open-air toilets, too. It's a paradox of Turkey that the country is highly developed and advanced in many places and aspects (seemingly more civilized, sometimes, than some Southern European countries) and somewhat medieval in some other places.
Thank you.. Very well put, nothing to add..

By the way, are we on the "anchoring in Crotia" thread or "psycodemographic analysis of Turkish coasts"?

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:34   #38

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Thank you.. Very well put, nothing to add..

By the way, are we on the "anchoring in Crotia" thread or "psycodemographic analysis of Turkish coasts"?
We seem to have drifted ...
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:20   #39

Quote:
Once you get 50 miles from the big charter bases in Bodrum/Yalikavik or Marmaris you will lose the crowds. I especially loved the Dacha peninsula. Just ask any Turkish sailor and you'll get lots of tips.

As to friendly people - never encountered unfriendly people anywhere in Turkey in the course of at least 30 visits over the last 20 years. It's an extremely polite, orderly, and pleasant country - with such extraordinary things to offer the visitor. A top destination.
Last year I cruised Turkey and yes the Datça Peninsula is less crowded than than around Bodrun or Marmaris but even so lot's of sailboats on anchorage. I like less crowded anchorages as you can find on some of the Cyclades or on the South of Crete.

I went also cruising way North of Bodrun one the West coast and there you can find deserted anchorages but it is kind of all or nothing. Lots of infrastructures on the Touristic zone but nothing on the lonely anchorages of that coast except fish farms. In Greece in similar places most of the times you can find a "shack" with a restaurant on these ones really nothing and the people is really different from the more urban or touristic zones: Rural Turkish is strongly Muslim and I really could feel the difference in what concerns the form I was welcomed (or not).

As you know Turkish has been on the change towards a Muslim state, the times of Ataturk seems to be disappearing and today the Islamists have a growing power on government and are on the rise. A really divided country I would say.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:57   #40

Boat: Oyster 55

Much of this discussion is about the anchoring techniques needed with Bruce anchors. Don't assume you will have a Bruce anchor on all charter boats in Croatia. Most that I saw had Delta anchors which has more of a point than Bruce anchors. Still you need to use good technique and many places in Croatia are just too deep to anchor with the length of chain that is typical on a charter boat.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 20:59   #41
DtM

We had more than 100 metres of chain on our charter boat. Sunsail.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote