Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 14:10   #61

Boat: Moana 33
Re: Sydney to Perth over top end of Australia

... and yet those 'plastic' seacocks are ABYC approved, while brass ones are not. Think about it some more - they are not actually plastic, they are glass-reinforced-nylon (and they will likely outlast most everything else aboard).
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 15:59   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
Plastic seacocks mostly have plastic exterior flanges......I have actually seen monohulls lean over......and expose plastic flanges to UV...….
Let's us be serious here... I doubt that ANY cruiser spends enough time at such heel angles as to expose the outer flange of a through hull fitting to cause severe UV degradation.

And the "plastics" used are selected for both strength and UV resistance, enough so that ABYC and others approve of their use.

You are worrying about a non-issue.

Jim
Old 15-06-2018, 17:53   #63

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, no doubt, lots of UV radiation below decks and below the waterline. A real worry...

Jim
But if you install the pink ones then they are not subject to the underwater and below decks radiation. Not easy to find but worth the hunt.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 19:15   #64

Boat: Beneteau First42

Obviously will keep if in good condition. I’ve spent way to much money on this boat already...
nzldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 01:38   #65

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzldude View Post
........ I’ve spent way to much money on this boat already...
Don't we all?
Old 16-06-2018, 01:54   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
But if you install the pink ones then they are not subject to the underwater and below decks radiation...
Okay, but are the pink ones safe from solar maxima and cosmic rays??
Old 16-06-2018, 15:59   #67

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

Oh dear me......chatter......nil facts.... but here is a few

My original post does not show any reference to FRP which should indeed give a long life.

I refer to plastics, such as polypropylene which are sold widely in Australia as 'polypropylene skin fittings'.

Most vessels have flanges above the waterline, some marginally above the waterline, some at the waterline, or below the waterline.

All polypropylene flanges above the waterline. and at the waterline will be subjected to UV. As may some below or at the waterline when the vessel is heeling whilst sailing or due to tide/wind pressure at a mooring, or berth, or exposed by wave action.

UV degradation is accumulative, and irreversible.

An internet search using...'polypropylene and UV' will yield phrases such as.....not for use in sunlight...… not for use outdoors...… breaks down...… becomes chalky and brittle and easy to break...… not recommended…..

Cannot find a site that said ok.

Each site contains something similar. Also degradation over time graphs are available. Have a look.

The ABYC standards, in particular Section H27, applies in America, and has nil authority in Australia to an Australian marine retailer. Cannot find products in Australia using 'Marelon, or 'Delrin' that may be suitable.

Should an insurance claim be lodged as a result of a failed polypropylene
skin fitting the outcome could be considered capable of rejection.

These polypropylene skin fittings may also have been used for deck drains, or cockpit drains. Some of the above also applies to acetate fittings.

I now give up.
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 17:27   #68

Thanks Grahamb,

Agreed, any polypropylene fitting exposed to any UV in Australia wont last long.

New question:
Im currently making high resolution satellite imagery of most of my trip route, using SasPlanet and GE2KAP to generate with the option of Bing and Google satellite imagery.

Had issues with quilting so working around it by making maps of smaller areas at higher resolution.

Is there any consensus as to which satellite imagery is better for us sailors?

Obviously the most up-to-date images will show current state of sand bars and coral locations (which do grow or move over time)... But there is quite a difference between the two.
From what i have observed, in cities google maps is best, but away from cities in more regional areas, Bing maps is very detailed.
Thoughts?

Example attached:
Thursday Island route

Cheers
Gareth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	google maps.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	171884   Click image for larger version

Name:	bing maps.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	171885  

Old 17-06-2018, 06:23   #69

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
Oh dear me......chatter......nil facts.... but here is a few

My original post does not show any reference to FRP which should indeed give a long life.

I refer to plastics, such as polypropylene which are sold widely in Australia as 'polypropylene skin fittings'.

Most vessels have flanges above the waterline, some marginally above the waterline, some at the waterline, or below the waterline.

All polypropylene flanges above the waterline. and at the waterline will be subjected to UV. As may some below or at the waterline when the vessel is heeling whilst sailing or due to tide/wind pressure at a mooring, or berth, or exposed by wave action.

UV degradation is accumulative, and irreversible.

An internet search using...'polypropylene and UV' will yield phrases such as.....not for use in sunlight...… not for use outdoors...… breaks down...… becomes chalky and brittle and easy to break...… not recommended…..

Cannot find a site that said ok.

Each site contains something similar. Also degradation over time graphs are available. Have a look.

The ABYC standards, in particular Section H27, applies in America, and has nil authority in Australia to an Australian marine retailer. Cannot find products in Australia using 'Marelon, or 'Delrin' that may be suitable.

Should an insurance claim be lodged as a result of a failed polypropylene
skin fitting the outcome could be considered capable of rejection.

These polypropylene skin fittings may also have been used for deck drains, or cockpit drains. Some of the above also applies to acetate fittings.

I now give up.
The OP asked about seacocks, not through hulls. I agree that the white plastic through hulls are garbage & would not have them on my boat. However, a plastic seacock would normally be fiberglass reinforced Marelon which is very strong & would normally not need to be replaced. The benefit of this type of seacock is that they don't corrode.
Regarding the OP's question about the seacocks I recommend taking a picture of every seacock & posting them in this thread. There are several types & maintenance differs depending on what you have. If they are tapered cone seacocks they should be taken apart, lapped if necessary & then greased with a proper waterproof grease, not Vaseline. Ball valves should be checked for corrosion of the ball which is often a dissimilar metal. Pictures will also help us tell if you have improper seacocks such as gate valves or tapered thread ball valves which are usually brass instead of bronze. A proper seacock will have a flange at the bottom & straight threads to maximize contact with the through hull.
Here's a link to a great website with valuable information on a whole host of maintenance issues: https://marinehowto.com/category/plumbing/
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 06:59   #70

Another note, PVC below the waterline is a bad mistake and PVC fittings should never be attached to seacocks. If you have a bronze seacock it should have a bronze straight or 90% nipple attached with a barbed end that is long enough for 2 marine grade non-perforated hose clamps. If you have Marelon seacocks the nipples should also be made of Marelon.
Old 17-06-2018, 07:09   #71

Regarding keel bolts, from what I've read some Beneteau keel failures have been the result of soft groundings. An indication of soft groundings would be a smile or gap in the front of the keel that may have been filled. If there is evidence of this it is recommended that the pan on the inside be checked for damage. If there is damage to the pan repair is difficult.
Old 17-06-2018, 16:42   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
...Here's a link to a great website with valuable information on a whole host of maintenance issues: https://marinehowto.com/category/plumbing/
Wow! What a great source of info. That backing plate idea requiring no extra holes when installing a 'proper' seacock is just what I needed to find.
Old 18-06-2018, 04:48   #73

re; Query in regard to best satellite images...….. I think they are all splendid...… go for the most detailed.....and latest date.....I would not think there is consensus among sailors as to the best one.....I always like.....plotters with the biggest screen.....cruising guides....and I love paper charts for 'the big picture'( and the sheer romance of them) ….and the ability to pencil in notes before and during the voyage......and of course a hand held GPS...…

For your voyage water will always be needed.....recommend a rain catching system for use at anchor.....beats all the fetch and carry of containers.....especially in that heat ....I have a deck water catching capability. …..straight to the tanks....wonderful.

Shade in the Kimberleys is so important.....as many awnings and side curtains as possible.....it is not only for heat......but the light is piercing....and some respite is nice...…

See if you can obtain an itinerary of 'True North' adventure cruise vessel...
they know lots of good spots.....we followed them into Berkley River....their draft was more than ours......so we knew we were OK...………..
Old 18-06-2018, 19:05   #74

Thanks for the response Graham,

Yeah I agree with the water capturing system. It’s the dry season up north, I work in the Pilbara which typically has extremely low rainfall over winter however its undoubtedly different towards to coast.

I will device a system with a tarp/bimini for collection if it does rain fill up jerrycans.

I intend on installing a water maker before I head offshore as having a sustainable source of water is part of the plan.

Speaking of track logs, where do I obtain these? Google search doesn’t provide much.
Old 20-06-2018, 15:26   #75

Hi.....track log.....Raymarine is the plotter that I am most familiar with …… and a track log is one their features...… and I have seen on other brands too.....but don't remember the brands...… and a tracklog is on my Magellan hand held GPS too.

If it was a free standing track log that you are seeking...… I've not seen it ...not to say there isn't one.

AIS receivers do not have a track log to my knowledge...… but AIS transceivers ….. Raymarine is one … do.

Watermaker …. I have one for sale.....less than half price.....

Tags
Australia, sydney