Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2011, 23:10   #1

Boat: Careel 22
Boat for NE coast & Top End Australia

G'day mates,
Do you think this 36' Gull-wing is a suitable boat for living aboard (most times it would be one man and his small dog with “perhaps” 3 persons occasionally) on the North East Coast and Top End of Australia...With the occasional trip over to our close neighbours in Asia?

Thanking you experienced power boaters in advance for your advice.

Bill
Australia
Old 15-12-2011, 03:47   #2

Boat: Peterson 46
Re: Boat for NE coast & Top End Australia

Well, I dont know powwerboats well. I do know the water you are intending to travel

You have 165 Hp and 500 L. This must limit you to 80+/-20 hours running. Fuel is in Seisia via jerrycan, At Gove - Perkins Fuel wharf and at Darwin. Also the Trinity Bay Can sell fuel , but only has large nozzle, high speed delivery.

100L water is not enough.

PortaPotti is not good for cruising - need holding tanks and macerator for Qld

Usually SE trades are in 24/7 most of the year. May be up to 45kn for weeks at a time. Can you sit through that or plow through that??

ie:need a sailboat..... (couldnt resist)

Saying all this, Great place to cruise. See ya up there.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 18:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Well, I dont know powwerboats well. I do know the water you are intending to travel

You have 165 Hp and 500 L. This must limit you to 80+/-20 hours running. Fuel is in Seisia via jerrycan, At Gove - Perkins Fuel wharf and at Darwin. Also the Trinity Bay Can sell fuel , but only has large nozzle, high speed delivery.

100L water is not enough.

PortaPotti is not good for cruising - need holding tanks and macerator for Qld

Usually SE trades are in 24/7 most of the year. May be up to 45kn for weeks at a time. Can you sit through that or plow through that??

ie:need a sailboat..... (couldnt resist)

Saying all this, Great place to cruise. See ya up there.
G'day Rusky,

Thanks for your opinions, much appreciated mate.
I have also been looking at sailboats, 36 to 45' (Epoxy/Ply Trimarans and Ferro Cement monos) but I can't ignore the fact that I'm getting to be a bit long in the tooth (almost 70) and my sailing experience is not a lot, so if I had any problems with sails that needed someone going up the mast, I could find myself in trouble. That got me thinking a power boat would be best for me and the dog. I do have a lot of experience with power, ships and commercial fishing boats. I like the Gullwing because of her size and as she draws less than 2', thought she would be a good boat for cruising the area of the Qld coast and Top-End, with perhaps the odd trip to Indonesia or Timor, anyway, it looks like the Gullwing is not a suitable boat for my needs, not enough space to add extra tanks, toilet and macerator so...I'll keep searching for a suitable boat. BTW, I can sit for as long as I need to wherever I take a liking to. Thanks again Rusky.

Bill
Australia
Old 12-07-2012, 21:48   #4

A question on another power cruiser for the experienced blue-water power cruisers who may read this.

Do you think this 1977, Twin cabin 40' Marine Trader is a suitable boat to Island hop, via Tahiti, across the Pacific from the States to New Caledonia, New Zealand or Australia in? She carries 800 Gallons of diesel and runs a (Ford?) Leman Engine. Model: 2715E (135HP) with 5,000 hours on the clock.

Cheers,

Bill

Tags
Australia

« Canvas | Kit-Cats »