Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2010, 18:02   #1
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Travel From Panama City to Colon

I am flying in to Panama City and will be traveling to Colon, or close by. I have read the threads here, but a bit confused. According to Noonsite...An international yellow fever vaccination certificate is required. If just transiting the Canal, it is not necessary to take anti-malarial precautions, but is recommended outside the Canal Area.

Also...In Colon and Cristobal, muggings are a real threat, even in daylight. One should avoid walking anywhere outside of the port and all shopping should be done by taxi.

The CDC does not say that you must have a Yellow Fever vaccination, but figure it is best to have it anyway. I'm just asking if it is, or is not requred?

Is the threat of muggings a real concern? It does appear so...

If someone has done this little trip, how did you travel? Bus or taxi? What would you recommend?

Is there anything else I should think about other than transportation and immunization? Hey, it's only 50 miles or so, then I'm on the boat hopefully safe
Thanks
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 18:18   #2
fvn

Boat: Manta 42
Life is easy in panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I am flying in to Panama City and will be traveling to Colon, or close by. I have read the threads here, but a bit confused. According to Noonsite...An international yellow fever vaccination certificate is required. If just transiting the Canal, it is not necessary to take anti-malarial precautions, but is recommended outside the Canal Area.

Also...In Colon and Cristobal, muggings are a real threat, even in daylight. One should avoid walking anywhere outside of the port and all shopping should be done by taxi.

The CDC does not say that you must have a Yellow Fever vaccination, but figure it is best to have it anyway. I'm just asking if it is, or is not requred?

Is the threat of muggings a real concern? It does appear so...

If someone has done this little trip, how did you travel? Bus or taxi? What would you recommend?

Is there anything else I should think about other than transportation and immunization? Hey, it's only 50 miles or so, then I'm on the boat hopefully safe

Thanks
No vaccination required, no malaria no yellow fever. This rumor only started on this forum. Never ears in ten years living in Panama. Some cases of dengue in late rainy season, we are now at the beginning.
I own an hotel and receive tourist everyday !!!!
Yes, Colon is the only dangerous town in Panama. Move only with taxi in Town but you don need to go unless for shopping.
From Panama can hire a taxi. Could be around 100 $ (nor sure because I drive) but buses are fine too. I guess you go to Shelter bay marina. Marina is very far from town and offer all services.
Fast ride from Panama, new four lane highway just finished few months ago.
Many boaters just moving to Panama definitely due to Venezuelan political and crimes problems.
fvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 18:25   #3
RTB

Thanks fvn....sounds like a fun way to start off the trip!
Old 16-04-2010, 19:25   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Panama city to Colon by bus is fine.
Its $5 and a great scenic trip!

The bus stations in Panama City are miles away (I think the Government must have planned it).
Get a taxi to the Bus station. Taxis in the city are (negotiable) down to about $8 per hour.
Don't buy tickets from people milling about, or get help when offered. Just go around all the little windows and you will find the right ones. People inside are friendly and helpful. Busses go every 20 minutes or so.
You need a small coin to get onto the departure 'platform'... its funny because you won't have one! They will let you through after it sinks in you don't have a .000001c coin. LOL

In Colon take a taxi from the bus station to wherever you are going. Its just this first step with your luggage you need to be quite careful. Make sure you have checked the location on Google Earth/Maps etc.

General dangers are vastly exaggerated: We heard a story of a guy who was stabbed 40 times. It was bull. He was only stabbed 6 times... but nearly died. He walked in an area between the bus station and the old (now removed) yacht club, he did this stupid thing at night, whilst drunk. It was a location hoods wait for idiots at night, drunk, going to the yacht club!

The biggest crime is all the lies about crime! Taxi drivers will 'order' you into theiur cabs: "You can't be here!" One lying cheat of a Panama agent/taxi driver found us at an admin office, I needed to go to the bank and he exclaimed it was so unsafe he couldnt let us walk. He offered us a lift so we thought it was free.... we only went 200 meters to the bank! LOLOL Then he charged us $2.

Colon is a beautiful, dilapidated city with a bad rep. But if you keep to the main shopping streets, and areas its safe to walk, be with the locals, go shopping etc.

It is the true shopping paradise of the world.

Nicolle found dresses for $1.49 each. I bought shorts for $2.50 each, exactly the same factory as in Malaysia for $5. Dress shirts $2.99, casual shirts cheaper. All great quality. I shill have the shorts and shirts 2 years later getting worn all the time.
Fine Chilean wine $1 per litre. Cheap beer etc.

Its a wonderful provisioning place for the Pacific and cheaper, by far, than Panama City.

So some hightened security concerns keep many cruisers hunkered down in Shelter Bay Marina a 30 minute drive away.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 19:44   #5
RTB

Wow, Mark! Thanks for the great reply....I think I'm looking forward to this. Sounds like a crazy time for a Texas boy that doesn't speak much Spanish. Shame on me.

On the other hand, cheap wine and beer!
Old 17-04-2010, 14:46   #6

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Although I haven't been to Colon since '97, I agree with most of what has been said. I did get malaria there, but that was in the 70's when I was assigned to 8th Special Forces Group at Fort Gulick and spent considerable time in the jungle (lots of mosquitoes there). I wouldn't advise walking around at night (even though I did) unless you are something of a martial artist. Expect to be stopped by the Guardia Nacional if you do. There's really no place to stay in Colon overnight unless you like cracked plaster and musty beds ... everything has gone downhill -- the Washington Hotel - which used to be a five star hotel in the sixties and seventies - is a ghost of its former self. I've heard that there is a new hotel in the area where Fort Gulick used to be called the Melia Panama Canal Hotel.

Hope that helps.
Old 17-04-2010, 16:42   #7
RTB

Thanks UWOA. And welcome to CF.

Ralph
Old 17-04-2010, 18:14   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
The above info is good. If you go to the bus staion in Panama City it does require a 5 cent coin (a US Nickel) to go through the turnstil. Then just go to a Colon Express Bus, it's one of the nice air conditioned buses -- ignore all the guys who try to get you on other buses. You can just take a seat in the Express bus and they will come by later for you money.
When you arrive in Colon then you can take another taxi to the marina. About $US15 - 20. We did it a couple of times and there were always others going to the marina so we could split the taxt cost. The big shopping center near the Colon bus station is safe and has almost everything.
No shots were required in Panama, but we decided to get Yellow Fever shots in Panama City in case they were required in the Galapagos or French Polynesia. Really easy for $5.
If you are in Shelter Bay marina for any time, take the nice walks through the jungle. You will see lots on monkeys and maybe sloths & anteaters. Others saw a Black Panther. And so mnay birds. It's a really nice place for a few days of exploring.
Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 18:47   #9
RTB

Thanks for making things a bit clearer Jim. I'm not sure where we'll be meeting up yet, nor how long we will stay but the walk in the jungle sounds pretty cool. I'll remember to take some change along. Great info everyone. Thanks.
Old 17-04-2010, 23:16   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The most important thing... while waiting for transit or whatever you are doing, take the boat to the Chargass river. Its only 8nm north of Colon and just another world!

We spend a week there drifting up and down river with our friends the Howler Monkeys, crocs, huge fish etc. Just delightful.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 15:43   #11

Re: Travel From Panama City to Colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
The above info is good. If you go to the bus staion in Panama City it does require a 5 cent coin (a US Nickel) to go through the turnstil. Then just go to a Colon Express Bus, it's one of the nice air conditioned buses -- ignore all the guys who try to get you on other buses. You can just take a seat in the Express bus and they will come by later for you money. {snip}
As of February 2012, they required a stored value card to pass through the turnstiles, and the card cost (IIRC) $0.25 at a small window, but they will NOT tell you that purchasing the card isn't enough, that you also have to add money to it. The system was new then, and there was a certain amount of chaos attendant on its purchase and use. The lines were long, English wasn't all that common, and voices got raised.

I trust there will be someone along shortly who'll tell us what is required in the way of $$ to get through the turnstiles. Other than what I've added, the advice is spot-on.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 00:00   #12

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
The cab ride from Cangrejo area to Albrook Mall/Bus Terminal is $3 - $3.50
Here is the schedule:
Bus schedule Panama
Misiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 07:31   #13
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
There used to be a really fabulous old style rattly clattery train ride across the isthmus that was cheap, fast and beautiful. The new 4 lane road sounds wonderful. It replaces a 2 lane snaky twisty goat path of a road!

If you go the rented car route the drive up to isla grande from colon is worth it for beach lounging and snorkling or diving. There is a sweet place to stay if you want to make it an over night.

El Valle is a spot worth considering as well!

HAve fun, Panama is a wonderful place!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 09:18   #14
RTB

Thanks Sara. I don't anticipate having time for sightseeing, but it's nice to know there is much to see in Panama if we get delayed.
Old 22-04-2010, 20:15   #15
RTB

Thanks again for all the great advice about Panama.

I just returned from a doctor visit today. I decided to get the Yellow Fever shot even though it is not requred to enter Panama. It is however highly recommended by the CDC. My doctor agreed that it would not be foolish to get it. I also got a Tetanus shot as well, as it's been quite some time since my last.

The doctor mentioned that I might consider Hepatitus A and B, as well as Typhoid. These are listed as possible problems in Panama as well, but not a major concern. Hepatitus B is contracted through blood, so no big deal if you aren't in the medical field. Hepatitus A and Typhoid can be contracted through prepared foods as in a restaurant. I just thought I'd pass this information on while it was fresh in my mind.

BTW, if a "INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATE OF VACCINATION OR PROPHYLAXIE" for Yellow Fever is required for your destination, it will not become valid until 10 days after the shot. It is good for 10 years.

Thanks again, and happy cruising!
Ralph

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama