Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2010, 14:19   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
Who do you want to get away from, Don Lucas? Other sailors, or other Americans? Because no matter where you go, you will find both. Even Cuba.
True, and even if out in the middle of the ocean there's still one with me (that would be 100% Americans in the crowd). But hopefully in the travels the mix of American changes for the best.

Can always dream and if this doesn't work ................I heard rum is cheap
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 14:21   #17

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Now I'm just scared, but that makes a true US of Aer.
What does that mean?
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 14:31   #18
CLOD

Boat: none
Americans are paraniod and always scared about something. Haven't you been watching us and our news shows?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be from the USA.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 14:55   #19

I don't want to push this thread away from its initial subject, just want to say that being afraid of something makes people stick together. Whether it was the indians, the Germans, the Russians or whoever, Americans were always united against what they believed to be the enemy. That is why you were, and are, a strong nation.

When I sailed up the Hudson River and saw the Statue of Liberty, I turned on Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" and both my husband and I stood up on deck with our hands over our hearts and tears in our eyes. It is not the politicians, it is the people of this great country and all that it stands for that makes it great.
Old 20-10-2010, 15:08   #20

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
I don't want to push this thread away from its initial subject, just want to say that being afraid of something makes people stick together. Whether it was the indians, the Germans, the Russians or whoever, Americans were always united against what they believed to be the enemy. That is why you were, and are, a strong nation.

When I sailed up the Hudson River and saw the Statue of Liberty, I turned on Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" and both my husband and I stood up on deck with our hands over our hearts and tears in our eyes. It is not the politicians, it is the people of this great country and all that it stands for that makes it great.
Amen to that my Canadian friend, and I look foreward to getting back to your countries warmth and hospitality again real soon,
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 15:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I am glad US even made the list. With all the garbage thrown up by officials trying to protect us, most Americans are happy to have foreign visitors. I love it when friendlies from anywhere are in our marina. Always fun to chat with, or even share a meal or two. Afraid? Perhaps a little, more just sad that it has to be this way.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 03:03   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I'm not surprised the USA made the list. I have always been welcomed as soon as people hear my accent. But I havent taken this boat there cruising, yet. I think a big forign flag and a smile will be the passport to fun there

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think a big forign flag and a smile will be the passport to fun there
As a sign of respect for the country I am visiting, I always fly a Canadian flag that is the same size as the courtesy flag, not bigger.

Also, when my mast was down while going through the locks I had the Canadian flag removed. While docked in Waterford, NY people asked where we were from and why are we not flying our flag. I told them that because our mast was down and we couldn't fly the US courtesy flag, we decided to not fly our flag either as a sign of respect for our hosts. They were speechless. You cannot imagine the number of people that found out about that and subsequently came to meet us during our three day stay and offered to drive us anywhere we needed to go or to take us out for a drink.

I say give the utmost respect and you shall receive tenfold.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:15   #24

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
We love having our friends from the north visit but please stop sending the cold fronts down here in the winter! Isn't there something you can do?
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 09:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschristian38 View Post
We love having our friends from the north visit but please stop sending the cold fronts down here in the winter! Isn't there something you can do?
He, he, he...

It is all a matter of perception. While in the US I noticed that every time there was a cold mass of air moving in, the TV people would refer to it as "a cold air mass from Canada". Which is wrong, because the cold air mass is coming from the arctic, and Canada just happens to be getting it before you do. So, technically, as cold air passes over Canada we warm it up a bit from our homes, cars and whatnot so it gets down to you gentlier.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:48   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Who do you want to get away from, Don Lucas? Other sailors, or other Americans? Because no matter where you go, you will find both. Even Cuba.
We have to get away from ourselves (USA) once in a while so that we can appreciate what we really have. It's the greedy politicians with agendas that mess things up. I think we mostly leave because of the overall co$t$, and the warm weather lasts longer in the southern oceans.

I vote for the Philippines as a friendly place! But don't tell anyone, I want it for myself.
Old 21-10-2010, 17:32   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
I'm not surprised the USA made the list. I have always been welcomed as soon as people hear my accent. But I havent taken this boat there cruising, yet.
I presume you have a proper US VISA mark, and not expecting to get in on a Visa Wavier. That bit annoys me about the US and arriving by boat.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 17:40   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I presume you have a proper US VISA mark, and not expecting to get in on a Visa Wavier. That bit annoys me about the US and arriving by boat.

Dave
Ahh... but once you get past the uncouth, hostile uniforms the sun comes out....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:19   #29

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Thumbs up

Quote:
As a sign of respect for the country I am visiting, I always fly a Canadian flag that is the same size as the courtesy flag, not bigger.

Also, when my mast was down while going through the locks I had the Canadian flag removed. While docked in Waterford, NY people asked where we were from and why are we not flying our flag. I told them that because our mast was down and we couldn't fly the US courtesy flag, we decided to not fly our flag either as a sign of respect for our hosts. They were speechless. You cannot imagine the number of people that found out about that and subsequently came to meet us during our three day stay and offered to drive us anywhere we needed to go or to take us out for a drink.

I say give the utmost respect and you shall receive tenfold.
Welcome to the US. That is a level of respect and courtesy that is uncommon these days. I hope to return it some day. (Actually the times I've visited Canada were very enjoyable, beautifull country and nice friendly people).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 07:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Welcome to the US. That is a level of respect and courtesy that is uncommon these days. I hope to return it some day. (Actually the times I've visited Canada were very enjoyable, beautifull country and nice friendly people).
I hope to be forgiven for the slight thread hijack, but I have to tell you a story. We landed in St Augustine, FL a couple of days before Christmas. While there, we met a toothless, homeless guy who lived on a tiny boat washed ashore by some hurricane, the insurance didn't want anything to do with it, and everybody was just happy to get rid of it. Anyway. So instead of inviting some other cruisers, we decided to invite him to join us for Christmas dinner on our boat. After all, that is what Christmas is supposed to be all about.

This homeless man came to dinner and brought an apple pie as a gift, which he got from the homeless shelter. It was the best apple pie I've ever had, because it came from the heart.

It was an honor knowing him and being able to hear his story.

This is only one of the many great things we experienced while visiting the US. There are so many, maybe I should start a thread called "Wonderful experiences while cruising in the USA".