Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 14:36   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
, maybe I should start a thread called "Wonderful experiences while cruising in the USA".

Maybe, because all we normally hear from our own news is how everyone hates us. Maybe why I like listening to the BBC when driving; to find out what's really going on!

PS - I hope this doesn't become a USA thread as I would much prefer to heard about other places.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 11:39   #32

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Back to Indonesia.......this thread started with the dramas of Blue Water Rally yacht having dificulties trying to enter Indonesia. I've just read a good one now of one yacht trying to leave Bali. Apparently the marina was out of diesel, so what would any yachtie do.....they got out the jerry cans and wandered down to the local roadside garage where they could buy diesel. After buying it they were arrested because road diesel is subsidised and not allowed for use in yachts. That carries a penalty of 2 years in jail, errr, unless of course you can come up with about $2000 and then we can fix your problem. Of course the retailer wasn't in trouble for selling the stuff.

Why don't we just all give this place a big miss and go to a place that wants our trade?

Greg
Old 16-11-2010, 13:05   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Western Europe has been the biggest, most wonderful surprise for me. It much cheaper than I expected, there is wonderful sights to see and from someone DownUnder its really exotic!

To EU I say Hasta la vista, baby - I'll be back!

+1

I have been sailing to France quite a bit this year. What a nice, friendly country to cruisers! Inexpensive, charming, welcoming, wonderful. And the best provisions in the world.

I love the officials there -- I brought our crew's passports to clear in and they just chased me away. The next two times I didn't even ask.

Walk ashore berthing in Cherbourg less than 50 euros for a 54 foot (in reality 60 feet with davits) boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 13:50   #34

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I found it quite ironic that yacht agents said it was not a problem as long as you worked thru an agent or paid to join a controlled rally.

Then another super yacht agency said we have our own secret recipe to solve the problem and that the other agencies quite often are the ones setting the inflated price to put out the imaginary fire.

Bottom line… boycott Indonesia until they get their act together and stop allowing these middlemen parasites to operate.

The Indo's wont care if they are boycotted by a few yachties. There just isnt the money in it for them. Besides, they have enough going on at the moment not to realy care. The only way to get the Indo's to be nice is to be nice to them. Basic rule of humanity really.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 15:02   #35

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Back to Indonesia.......this thread started with the dramas of Blue Water Rally yacht having dificulties trying to enter Indonesia. I've just read a good one now of one yacht trying to leave Bali. Apparently the marina was out of diesel, so what would any yachtie do.....they got out the jerry cans and wandered down to the local roadside garage where they could buy diesel. After buying it they were arrested because road diesel is subsidised and not allowed for use in yachts. That carries a penalty of 2 years in jail, errr, unless of course you can come up with about $2000 and then we can fix your problem. Of course the retailer wasn't in trouble for selling the stuff.

Why don't we just all give this place a big miss and go to a place that wants our trade?

Greg
Its the opposite here in the US,you wont get in trouble using road diesel in your boat but you will get fined if you use offroad diesel in your road vehicle,in fact they dye the offroad stuff red so they can tell the difference,its all about road tax.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote