Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2018, 13:02   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Pantera La Paz Mexico

Not to be offensive to those wanting to help...but adding extra people, calls and voices talking to the Mexican officials now is NOT going to help and will only slow things down. Good people that knew and loved Bob are already talking to the Mexican officials that need to be spoken to. Extra phone calls and then info/stores posted on line isn't what it needed at this point. Also sharing the details here on a public forum is also NOT in the best interest of the family that info is being shared directly to them and then they can decide how much to share and when.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:12   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

family has been chatting in talkbaja. one report says not bob one says is bob. ok.

lectronic latitude also has report on bob.... https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...sing-cat-found
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:19   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
family has been chatting in talkbaja. one report says not bob one says is bob. ok.

lectronic latitude also has report on bob.... https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...sing-cat-found
Dated materials.....
and the problem with the internet. Someone grabs yesterdays news and reposts it as the latest news because to them it was. Meanwhile 3 new developments have happened, some info people in the know can share publicly and others they can't or chose not to out of respect for the family. But in the absence of "news" ideas, guesses, hearsy and rumors start spreading. I was emailed today asking if it was true Bob was kidnapped by drug dealers....you can't make this **** up that gets spread online...expect people do.

Without getting into the details the only way at this point to positively identify the body found is via DNA that isn't going to happen quickly in a small town in Mexico...this isn't CSI Miami.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 16:28   #34

Hi. I’m Bob’s Daughter Natalie. The only thing I can confirm is that Pantera was found demolished and stripped of all contents. Neither his nor his cats bodies were located. I have about 3 people working on helping me from Mexico. They have turned to their Spanish speaking friends and obtained info for me. Some reports are conflicting though which makes it difficult for me to know what the truth is. I am doing everything I can do from Victoria BC via Glibal Affairs who are in touch with Canadian Embassy in Cabo San Lucas. We have also filed a missing persons report at our local police station as per requirements. No, it does not look good, but the truth is we still don’t have an identified body. Until then I will continue looking for him. Thank you very much for all your support and efforts on the ground there, it means a lot to me
Natalie2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 16:43   #35

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie2018 View Post
Hi. I’m Bob’s Daughter Natalie. The only thing I can confirm is that Pantera was found demolished and stripped of all contents. Neither his nor his cats bodies were located. I have about 3 people working on helping me from Mexico. They have turned to their Spanish speaking friends and obtained info for me. Some reports are conflicting though which makes it difficult for me to know what the truth is. I am doing everything I can do from Victoria BC via Glibal Affairs who are in touch with Canadian Embassy in Cabo San Lucas. We have also filed a missing persons report at our local police station as per requirements. No, it does not look good, but the truth is we still don’t have an identified body. Until then I will continue looking for him. Thank you very much for all your support and efforts on the ground there, it means a lot to me
I'm not one to speculate and I wish you all the best, but know that Bob is a respected and well loved member of the sailing community. I will miss seeing the sleek lines of Pantera laying at anchor looking like it's travelling at 20 knots standing still, the oversized mexican flag streaming aft showing his love of his adopted country. I've only met him once or twice, and always associate the boat and the man with La Paz.

Best of luck,

Ken
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 19:36   #36

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Natalie, it gives me a good feeling to see a daughter doing everything she can to locate her dad. Many kids could care less these days.

I keep a boat in Sea of Cortez. I never met your dad because i am new to Sea of Cortez. I am 67 years old. I want to say that us older guys are in dream land to know that we can finally enjoy our waning years doing something so beautiful and soulful. I can see by your dad’s face he was a joyful man. He had a rocket ship of a boat....so sexy and sleek. It is no joke when we tell our wife or girlfriend that we have a mistress. Our boats seduce us. Laying in a small cove late in the afternoon and preparing our meal...such a sweetness. Listening to the sea creatures as we lay half asleep...surreal to the land based denizens. A person who hasn’t watched the sea breeze fill in during a crossing and then lifting sail....retiring the outboard...gliding across the water with just the wind as your engine....it is so special feeling. I never tire of it.

I want you to know that your dad had these thousands of pleasures in his last quarter of his life...or so....if he passed....I know that he wouldn’t have traded his passion for sailing for anything else on this planet. It is a rich and deeply spiritual union we sailors have with the ocean. I think he lived richly and loved deeply...

I wish you and your family the best. Respectfully, alan smith
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 07:28   #37

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

I’m heartbroken, and at a loss for words. I’ve sailed many miles buddy boating with Bob. I’m about a week out from sailing away from San Carlos, heading south. If Bob is still missing by then, I will sail over towards Santa Rosalia, and slowly circle the islands close by.
[emoji22]
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 08:45   #38

Boat: Presently between vessels

It's looking bad for Bob. Someone posted a photo on Facebook of Pantera capsized on the rocks at punta chivato.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 09:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPatterson View Post
It's looking bad for Bob. Someone posted a photo on Facebook of Pantera capsized on the rocks at punta chivato.
thread number 34.
Old 24-12-2018, 13:29   #40

Boat: C&C 38 Mk II

Bob's boat was found wrecked on the rocks south od Santa Rosalia. An unidentified body was found in a wet suit nearby. I assumed all cruisers have heard this by now, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Rhumbline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 13:41   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumbline View Post
Bob's boat was found wrecked on the rocks south od Santa Rosalia. An unidentified body was found in a wet suit nearby. I assumed all cruisers have heard this by now, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
\yes however putting one and one together dont make 2..
dna testing is in progress and police said not a match before that..
so, we are still holding hope for this man to be found snuggled safely with his cats recuperating. bolos were also placed for the cats. the body was found near loreto and boat shards with pantera written were found at punta chivato. nothing else has been found that is related to pantera.
"boat" was on beach 27 days.
dna on the tissue of the recovered body may take a month .. until then there is no proof he is dead., and hope is maintained.
Old 24-12-2018, 14:17   #42

If you want to take it up a notch, have the Coast Guard reach out to their contacts.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 14:28   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
If you want to take it up a notch, have the Coast Guard reach out to their contacts.
not in mexico , no.
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD.
Old 25-12-2018, 11:18   #44

Boat: Cooper 416

Praying for Bob and his family.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 23:26   #45

Thank you so much. He is dearly missed��
Natalie2018 is offline   Reply With Quote