Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 10:32   #16

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"
Re: Miami - Strategy for Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Concern is being strapped to low ground during storm surge. Is there any estimate for surge height?
Katrina was a cat5 before landfall and pushed a 35ft surge on us. we were up a river 5 miles and secured to anchors and trees but it overwhelmed all we had and sank.

So I would expect at least a 35ft surge and 175 mph + winds at this point. the farther inland you can get the better.

Lake Okeechobee canal maybe?

I wish you all well!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:05   #17

Cat 5 - screenshot from highly recommended free Red Cross app. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5349.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	155425
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 14:12   #18

Everyone here in Tampa hopes it goes somewhere else!!!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 14:58   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I believe I read that if Irma reaches US shores at this strength it will be the first time in records that two such high level hurricanes have done it in one year.

Another interesting thing....reading comments attributed to this article I read it was dismaying to see how many people made note of how happy they would be to see President Trumps digs destroyed. How stupid can people be? Millions of lives will be affected or ruined...and you wish ill will on a select property because of your political agendas? I never wish ill will on anyone...Life has it's own ways of educating people.

May God bless all the souls in the Caribbean and U.S.A. who will have this super storm as a nightmare...be safe...move as far out of it's path as you can...get to high ground...don't become a statistic...material things can be replaced in time. Scary scary storm. Hope many people saw the effects of Harvey and what mother nature can unleash. Be smart...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 15:25   #20

Miami - Strategy for Sailboat

Lots of cooperation from people on the docks today.

Offshore headed north. Need estimate on gulfstream center - miles off the coast - from Port Everglades and also from WPB?
Old 05-09-2017, 15:40   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I wouldn't head north at all. I'd head south and fast. This one is more than a little dangerous. Florida has tens of thousands of boats all looking to do the same right now.You're at the mercy of the weakest anchored boat in the area you pick. What ever area you find you won't be alone, anywhere, down here. Choose wisely, tie down as much as you can, leave, and hope for the best. Good Luck to all.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 16:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
My hurricane plan.

1- make sure insurance is paid.
2- try to arrange haul out, but only if the screw the boat down.
3- if hauled remove sails and deck canvas, nothing should be on deck.
3a- if 2 does not happen, double lines, remove sails and all deck canvas. Close seacocks, remove bottle of Jack from fridge. Some put a plug in their exhaust ( I don't).

4- make sure insurance is paid.

Insurance is paid but liability only. Insurer will split haul out costs. May be too late to arrange.

Will follow steps 3 and 3a as part of plan.
Old 05-09-2017, 16:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
If you have not made other plans already in Miami (my boat was there for 7 years), I don't want to discourage you but you're in a hell of a situation. Running north is not an option with this storm, many of the predictive tracks run right up the east coast and it WILL overtake you, probably at the worst possible location (Hatteras). The mangroves are an option (note: tying directly to the mangroves is illegal...), but you won't be the only one with that idea, and you can't go any further than the first tied-off boat you come to. You could also try to go up the Miami River, which is probably the best hurricane hole in Miami, no storm surge, wind severely broken by buildings, etc. However, it will be you and several thousand of your best friends all looking for somewhere to tie up. Ft Lauderdale has some nice backwaters as well, but it will be the same problem. I'm not trying to lecture you (really), but the time for making this plan was 6 months ago.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to try to find a haul out / strap down facility that can accommodate you. It won't be easy now. Otherwise, I don't know where you are, but if you're at a dock, lots of lines and spare tires, strip everything from the deck and rigging, and hope for the best. I wish you the best. Pete

No lecture taken. I appreciate you direct comments. I'm looking for best path current situation. Heading north. Getting into the edge of the gulfstream now.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5359.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	155441
Old 05-09-2017, 16:43   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

N to where?

Playing doge ball with a hurricane is not a good strategy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 17:02   #25

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
N to where?

Playing doge ball with a hurricane is not a good strategy.
I would head Northeast if you can't get south of it. Better be in a well found boat because heading out into the Atlantic with this monster out there would be scary indeed.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 17:13   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Since your heading North, I'd go to Jax and go way up river, far as I can.
Once you get in the middle of the stream, head due North to stay in it, I rode the Stream from Stuart to Brunswick Ga last week and averaged 10+ kts the whole time.
I would not head to Sea myself
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 17:43   #27

a64 - roger. How many miles offshore would you estimate the stream for FLL and WPB? Is there a site for that? I can't find that critical info. Kinda need some help on routing.

I'm 5 miles offshore right now but not getting the boost yet. Definitely looking for it !!!
Old 05-09-2017, 17:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
a64 - roger. How many miles offshore would you estimate the stream for FLL and WPB? Is there a site for that? I can't find that critical info. Kinda need some help on routing.

I'm 5 miles offshore right now but not getting the boost yet. Definitely looking for it !!!

EDIT: 8:47 pm local - 7 miles off of pompano and just started getting some stream lift.
Old 05-09-2017, 17:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
EVERYTHING is ALREADY gone!!! You can't even buy a bottle of water!

CarlF and Pete - thanks for your excellent comments. Have 100 gallons water in tanks and food for 7 days onboard.
Old 05-09-2017, 18:04   #30

Boat: Boatless

If you head north you only need to be out 10 miles, the Stream is close in.

I have taken two boats through two hurricanes in Miami unless you can find a guaranteed berth up the river, Coral Gables water way in the mangroves is the best place I have used. Do not stay on the boat!

Just inside the waterway you turn left past the water police and just before the right turn to the bridge you can get nose first into the mangroves with two stern anchors. The police will not let you run anchors or lines across the channel.

I saw 100 boats destroyed and two deaths caused by Katrina and Wilma which were barely Cat 2's in a 5 survival chances are poor.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, miami, sail, sailboat