Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2022, 14:27   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Melbourne Solo Sailor Survives Falling in Water

In warm waters, perhaps. At 5 or six knots you'll never be able to grab it, though; and after 3 min at very high latitudes, hypothermia will get you before you can get to it. Don't kid yourself, it is way, way better to not go in the water unintended.

Ann
Old 20-07-2022, 19:05   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramotorgreg View Post
Tethers sound like a good idea, but unless the tether is short enough to prevent you falling in the water it’s useless. Trying to pull yourself back on board whilst being dragged through the water at 5 knots would be impossible.

If the tether is short enough to prevent you falling overboard then it’s also short enough to make moving around the boat really difficult, you generally have to unclip and clip on again - you need a double-ended tether.
I use a double ended tether, one shorter & one longer. No question moving about tethered is difficult - navigating my jack lines, over/under jib sheets, around preventer, inside of standing rigging, etc...multiple times i have been brought up short, having forgotten to move my tether with me. But staying ON the boat is sooo critical that the hassle is worth it....Off-shore in 3-4 ft seas we lost, at separate times, a towel and a bucket....performed our man overboard routine and were unable to retrieve either...so, yes...we need more practice but also highlites the difficulty in retrieval.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 19:32   #18

Boat: Northwind 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
not sure if you are noting tethers, or criticizing them.
I don’t sail single-handed and I don’t use a tether. During the daytime I would rely on my Crew to recover me if I fell overboard. At night, if I have to leave the cockpit for any reason I wake my Crew so they can monitor me.

At all times, because I have no tether I am very cautious…. I crawl around the boat and I hold on!
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 00:39   #19

Melbourne Solo Sailor Survives Falling in Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by giliganthegreat View Post
I always thought I was taking crazy pills trailing a dingy with a trail line and buoy. Gives you 100’ to grab the line crawl up it and hit the ladder. Probably not feasible in places with big traffic but a longer tether would make the same sense.

Single handing is dangerous.

Try it - with some crew and warm waters. Jump overboard and grab the line ( hint wear gloves). Even at 2 or 3 knots you will struggle and even if you do manage to get back to the boat, your muscles will feel like jelly and climbing a ladder will be almost impossible.

Boat needs to be almost stationary for this to work.

I singlehand maybe 90% of the time. On deck I wear a harness unless a flat calm and boat not moving as I never want to end up in the water.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 07:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by giliganthegreat View Post
I always thought I was taking crazy pills trailing a dingy with a trail line and buoy. Gives you 100’ to grab the line crawl up it and hit the ladder. Probably not feasible in places with big traffic but a longer tether would make the same sense.

Single handing is dangerous.
While this is a healthy discussion and some helpful opinions are provided …. Sadly this one is not.

You’re definitely taking crazy pills dragging 100’ of line around behind a dinghy. Do you genuinely sail or are you just imaging this is something you might do if one day you actually might go for a sail? Living is dangerous …. not just single handing.
Timlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 08:01   #21

I mounted a sail track on the both sides of our cabin top and slides. Because the way it was mounted the slides could move freely forwards and back. No clipping or unclipping. It also kept them short enough that you couldn't go over the side.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 09:33   #22

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramotorgreg View Post
Tethers sound like a good idea, but unless the tether is short enough to prevent you falling in the water it’s useless. Trying to pull yourself back on board whilst being dragged through the water at 5 knots would be impossible.

If the tether is short enough to prevent you falling overboard then it’s also short enough to make moving around the boat really difficult, you generally have to unclip and clip on again - you need a double-ended tether.
Let's see moving around the boat really difficult, watching you boat sail away.....ummmm watching your beautiful boat sailing away, I am would still choose really difficult as a singlehander.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 18:43   #23

Boat: Still building

Saw this bloke interviewed on Oz TV News, and realised immediately he had not been tethered....while fishing....off the back of his boat....solo sailing....

Just crazy risk level.

And as he found to his cost, one slip and it was *almost* curtains - for him, not just for his boat.

But, given the tech we have available these days - specifically things like MOB alarms worn on harness or clothing, could not such a system be designed to send a wifi sugnal to both engine controls and autopilot to have the vessel either heave to, or circle...??

I'm seeing an opportunity for a code developer to write something that would enable such a function(s).....

Might even make sense to add it to all autopilots as an option...???
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 19:11   #24

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Saw this bloke interviewed on Oz TV News, and realised immediately he had not been tethered....while fishing....off the back of his boat....solo sailing....

Just crazy risk level.

And as he found to his cost, one slip and it was *almost* curtains - for him, not just for his boat.

But, given the tech we have available these days - specifically things like MOB alarms worn on harness or clothing, could not such a system be designed to send a wifi sugnal to both engine controls and autopilot to have the vessel either heave to, or circle...??

I'm seeing an opportunity for a code developer to write something that would enable such a function(s).....

Might even make sense to add it to all autopilots as an option...???
An electronic signal from a personal control device to stop a boat.... That's as crazy as putting water in small bottles and thinking people will buy it..... No wait that guy got rich.... LOL your idea sounds feasible. Should be able to make the boat come back to you as well.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 19:44   #25

Boat: Lightwave 45

One would HAVE to think that this is a no-brainer. In fact, the technology is already available. Smart-watches are already able to Bluetooth to control MFD/plotter/autopilots.
It would be a simple software exercise to tell the autopilot that if Bluetooth connection lost (ie MOB), then automatically mark spot (for crew to return to) and if under sail then turn up into wind or if under motor then turn in circles until further instructions.
Simple?

I have no other use for smart-watches (or any watch, as a liveaboard). But if such a feature became available, I would definitely purchase and wear a watch again (groan...)
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 19:47   #26

ACR makes a man overboard alert system with personal watch style, or clip on units. Olas Guardian system.
They can link to a engine kill and alarm unit. Wouldn't be hard to at least cut power to autohelm, but somehow setting it to turn would be great!
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 20:17   #27

I’m 6’3 200 pounds and could walk through a wall. I once retrieved a dingy at night by swimming it in. I’m good.
giliganthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 22:36   #28

Boat: Still building

Yeah, well, I'd read about MOB alarms that wake the crew if the device goes out of range and mark the chart with a MOB plot.

So it seemed a logical conclusion to extend that to the A/P.

Even if it engaged a 'heave to' sequence might be enough for the poor MOB to get aboard.

Theoretically, you could program it to 'hunt' for the 'lost' signal, by quartering back in a SAR search pattern.

That way if the MOB was unconscious they'd wake up to their boat standing by, patiently, like a horse beside a fallen rider.

Beats watching the masthead light disappear over the horizon...!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 22:41   #29

Boat: Jarkan 12.5 42 feet

I have read the whole story, He slipped and fell while fishing standing on the stern of his boat 17 miles offshore. The stern had steps down to the water. He appeared to be standing near the bottom in the reenactment when he slipped after catching a fish.
presumably the boat had removable lifelines at the top of the steps.
Fishing without life jacket or safety harness or staying behind the lifelines in this situation can only be described as incompetent.
He was extremely lucky that he had a favorable strong current assisting him. He did not swim 17 kms. I am pleased he survived and he should be admired for swiimming for the coast for 10 hours but not for his carelessness
girdasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 01:30   #30

Story here from 60 minutes Australia
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, water