Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 18:38   #466

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Loss of KELAERIN Rescue of Crew June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
No property insurance.
Maybe that influenced the CG to tow it in. A little arm twisting by the right person would go a long way also.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 19:14   #467

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
No insurance involved here.
Do you know if the Coasties brought the boat all the way in to dock or did anyone get involved who might claim salvage rights (Im assuming the Coasties would not)?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 19:18   #468

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Do you know if the Coasties brought the boat all the way in to dock or did anyone get involved who might claim salvage rights (Im assuming the Coasties would not)?
Check the pic at #441... looks like a coastguard cutter to me....

If someone took over the tow at the pierheads they would only be entitled to a very small slice of the salvage pie....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 19:32   #469

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Check the pic at #441... looks like a coastguard cutter to me....

If someone took over the tow at the pierheads they would only be entitled to a very small slice of the salvage pie....
Could be, but no Coastie markings visible. Crew look like Coaties.

Good news if thats the case, Im assuming the owners can basically just go claim their boat (?).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 19:43   #470
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

They were apparently at their boat today.

Here's a pic of the cockpit from Lat 38
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kelaerin.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	174352  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:47   #471

Boat: Catalina 470

Belize,
In addition to the crew being US Coasties, as Ping pointed out, it is a USCG boat (47' MLB)...pretty hard to mistake it for anything else....
You can see the top of the big orange stripe (and the white and blue stripes, just aft of it) on the forward hull, just below the gunnale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Could be, but no Coastie markings visible. Crew look like Coaties.

Good news if thats the case, Im assuming the owners can basically just go claim their boat (?).

Also, in addition to all the other stuff still attached/usable, that we saw in the earlier pic... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2682048 ...here in these new pics you can see a "Danforth" anchor/kedge on the stern pulpit, as well as many jerry jugs still along the toerail/lifelines...also most of the windvane self-steering looks good...
And, while the steering pedestal may be broken / leaning, it is still there to some extent...
With the exception of the steering, and the mainsail and some of it's reefing gear, some damage to companionway hatch(es), and whatever the horror show is like below decks....she looks like she's ready to set out again....

And, if you all do a web search there are many news stories posted on-line (although you know the media, sometimes they do get the details wrong....you can look at the pics and videos, and piece together things pretty well..)

Here are some links that have been posted here on CF..
https://kval.com/outdoors/coast-guar...-coast-in-june

https://kval.com/news/local/coast-gu...f-grays-harbor

And, finally...
As I wrote earlier, I'm happy that these sailors are safe....and that their boat has also been saved...

These USCG men/women are really super!
Buy 'em a sandwich next time ya' bump into one....or just shake their hands and say thanks...

fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 21:32   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They are on the inside, not much UV there.
My plastic hull? So it’s scrap too? I’m being sarcastic to try to show that you can’t make generic statements about plastic, some of it unfortunately is extremely UV resistant, some not. Some just ages and loses its plasticizers and just becomes weak and cracks, think car interior for instance, some not.
Depends entirely on what we mean by “Plastic” it’s a very encompassing term,

Mine have no external handles.
If hatches can be opened from the outside, why do we bother to lock our boats?

While I do not stand on mine, I have seen others that do. Assumption is if a 250 lb person can walk on them, the plastic is pretty strong.

Perspex is I believe a trade name and is the same plastic as what if often called Plexiglass.
I’d assume my hatches may be Lexan , just based on how easy they seem to scratch and that people stand on them.
Your cast acrylic "glass" in the hatch at 13mm thick is something I'll bet my life on, even under tons of green water. Those two tiny nubs of ABS that dog the whole works to your boat are NOT.

ABS plastic has a typical sheer modulus of 0.3 to 1.1 GPa. Aluminum is close to 24 GPa. For another $10 or so, your dogs could be maybe 50 TIMES stronger than a plastic dog. Oh, was there carbon fiber in the ABS? Cool, there would probably be magnesium in the aluminum alloy. Those new ratios are similar and still drastically in favor of the alloy.

The whole plastic-dogged design seems to be based upon the idea that a major green water event would occur only at a direct (right) angle to the plane of the hatch. This seems a bad assumption given the Kelaerin story, and a faulty design to me for hardware that is supposed to be "blue water" rated, UV degradation or not.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:00   #473

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If you dog a Lewmar hatch as shown at 1.33 to allow just a bit of air down below and a f****** l*** a**** d******* stands on the hatch there is a fair chance something will break......

Don't ask me how I know this..

Its why I don't dog the hatches like that and also why FLADs aren't allowed on my boat....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:04   #474

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
It is unreasonable to expect 30 years of UV and use not to reduce the effectiveness of plastic dogs and hinges.
Yes, plastic would be a bad choice for the exterior frame of a large hatch.

But there should be 4 strong securing latches on inside of hatch so the strength of the hinges is irrelevant as long as hatch stays closed, and the four latches are tightened from inside the cabin.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:12   #475

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Yes, plastic would be a bad choice for the exterior frame of a large hatch.

But there should be 4 strong securing latches on inside of hatch so the strength of the hinges is irrelevant as long as hatch stays closed, and the four latches are tightened from inside the cabin.
But there isn't on a lewmar ocean hatch of the size involved. There are two plastic hinges and two plastic dogs.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:16   #476

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Is it near here?
Geez, how many fort Bragg's do you mericans have , California and north carolina, where next. Or perhaps wikipedia is as confused as I.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:23   #477

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If I'm understanding the picture correctly in post #470 by mi tiempo, it looks as if the mainsail shredded itself on the timber housing for the steering.

I think we need to look at hypothermia and/or concussion to find the cause of their change in plans. The sea water below decks wouldn't help with the former at all.

Ann
Old 25-07-2018, 22:24   #478
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
But there isn't on a lewmar ocean hatch of the size involved. There are two plastic hinges and two plastic dogs.
The hinges are not plastic, but aluminum. Maybe you are confusing the adjustable stays that hold the hatch open?

The dogs are plastic.
Old 25-07-2018, 22:33   #479

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The hinges are not plastic, but aluminum. Maybe you are confusing the adjustable stays that hold the hatch open?

The dogs are plastic.
Could be, I'm not on the boat now to look, but ours do not have seperate stays to hold them open, just an.adjustable tension on the hinge.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:36   #480
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Could be, I'm not on the boat now to look, but ours do not have seperate stays to hold them open, just an.adjustable tension on the hinge.
My Lewmar hatch has 2 metal hinges and one plastic stay which can be adjusted when needed to keep it open in any position. It is a medium profile hatch.

Tags
crew, rescue