Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 12:46   #1

Boat: TBD
Prout Manta 39 SCAM

Beware the 1997 Prout Manta 39 on Craigslist... I had a feeling it was fake but emailed anyways. Email is aby.roman1974@gmail.com Abigail Roman or Aby

100% fake! Thought I'd post in case I could help anyone else avoid it.

Details-
Craigslist -- "Sailboat for sale MANTA by PROUT 39 FT - $35000"

*I emailed asking for details and location for possible showing*

Email reply says it all--
"Hi again, I'm Aby, glad to see you are interested in my 1997 Prout Manta boat. It has a twin 3GM30FC Yanmars around 4800hrs with Yanmar sail drives w/2 blade fixed props. Fuel 124 gallons, Fresh Water Tanks (2) 85 gal tanks 170 gal total,Siemens Solar array, AeroGens 4 and 6, Link 2000 System monitor, Inverter to AC power, radar, SSB with auto tuner, VHFS, Yeoman Navigation and much more.
The boat is in excellent condition inside and out,no mechanical issues. The title is clear. The price is $35,000. I know the price is a bit way under market's value, I have tried to sell it at a higher price but we are in a bit of a rush since my husband got a new job and signed a contract for 3 years in Edmonton, Canada. He is already there and we will leave in a week. We don't have the conditions to keep it there and we've decided to pay a down payment for a house there. If you have any other questions, or need more info, please feel free to ask. Thank you Aby"

*No boat location, no showing details... It's a trap!*
*I poked the bear some more... Asking again for a showing*

Reply-
"I am glad to see you have a high interest in my boat. As I told you in my first email, I will leave in a week to Edmonton, where my husband got a new job. Because of the short time that I have left and so many things to deal with concerning our departure I have signed a contract with eBay to take care of the selling on my behalf. The boat is already at the shipping company in Galveston, TX sealed and ready for the shipping.The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 7-9 days, depending on the exact location. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense. If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask eBay to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. eBay will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the confirmation that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from eBay with all the transaction information please reply with your full name, shipping address and phone # and they will contact you right away.
Thank you"

*Sure! I'll have a 39ft Cat shipped to where in 7-9 days?! (I never gave a location though the listing was in Los Angeles, Marina Del Rey)*
*Kept poking asking for the eBay link, no info emailed over yet.*

Hope this helps someone! Fair winds
Sailingsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 13:07   #2

Boat: TBD
Re: Prout Manta 39 SCAM

Looks like "Aby" tried this scam on the forum already! Just found it. The scam is still going on Craigslist!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-203362.html
Sailingsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 08:59   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Aby put this boat on Sailboatlistings. I contacted SL and told them it was a scam and they pulled the listing. That boat is advertised all over CL btw.
Old 19-10-2018, 20:10   #4

Careful. People do this the other way around, too. Give you a fake check for too much and ask for it back... makes me wonder how often it really works.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:52   #5

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Careful. People do this the other way around, too. Give you a fake check for too much and ask for it back... makes me wonder how often it really works.

Yep, If you have the time it is fun to mess with them. What they do is send you a cashiers check that is a legit cashiers check but it has been whitewashed and the amount altered. I've done this about three times just to make them spend a little money on the check and waste their time. I'm not sure what the minimum amount is for a cashiers check but I think its at least a couple of bucks for the bank to issue it. Just think if we all did this. It might make them look for another line of work.
P.S. Call the bank first. They wont tell you the amount the check was written for but they will tell you if the amount on it is was NOT what it should be.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 10:23   #6

Boat: Scout 30

We ran into this exact same scam when we were looking for an RV earlier this year. I'm surprised that Craigslist hasn't figured this one out yet.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 11:32   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Oh, yea... this was attempted on me, too.... I have my Catalina 30 for sale, and some guy calls on the listing and offers full price. Never seen the boat, doesn't care to see the boat... but the "check's in the mail." And it arrives. Looks legit. Until you take it to your banker and they call the bank and find out it is a total scam.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 12:52   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We ran into this exact same scam when we were looking for an RV earlier this year. I'm surprised that Craigslist hasn't figured this one out yet.
I had the same thing happen on an RV from Craig's list too. All ready packed up and at the shippers. It had scam written all over it.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 17:06   #9

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I ran into very similar wording on a Cragslist posting for a motorcycle a few years ago. Totally bogus of course.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 08:00   #10

I would like to wire the funds as soon as possible. Preferably to a foreign bank account. Nigeria is my first choice. I am moving to Kansas and my name is Dorothy.
passthetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 04:55   #11

Aby is persistent. The ad is back up on Sailboat Listings but this time with more pics and details. They are the exact same pics as before. There is even a phone number.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/76491
Old 27-10-2018, 18:08   #12

Deleted from SL again and this time is wasn't me. The word must have gotten out.
Old 30-10-2018, 08:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
Yep, If you have the time it is fun to mess with them. What they do is send you a cashiers check that is a legit cashiers check but it has been whitewashed and the amount altered. I've done this about three times just to make them spend a little money on the check and waste their time. I'm not sure what the minimum amount is for a cashiers check but I think its at least a couple of bucks for the bank to issue it. Just think if we all did this. It might make them look for another line of work.
P.S. Call the bank first. They wont tell you the amount the check was written for but they will tell you if the amount on it is was NOT what it should be.
I'm collecting those checks for fun. So far I have about $20,000 worth of them!
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 19:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Deleted from SL again and this time is wasn't me. The word must have gotten out.
Was me, I thought it looked too good to be true, and did not want some newbie youtuber catamaran wannabe starting a crying jag thread here. Nipping those type of ads asap on any public site is a hobby I enjoy!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 20:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
CRAIGSLIST, manta, PROUT, SCAM