Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 08:24   #1

Boat: Wylie 45' Custom
Custom Wylie 45' Cutter 1983

From the architectural house of Thomas Wylie Design Group, Malaya is an inboard, mast head cutter that is intended to be a fast cruiser/racer to be sailed with a crew as few as 2. This is apparent in both the deck and cockpit layout as well as the unique cabin design. Not tied to a rating rule, Malaya is fast, extremely stable, comfortable and tracks like a locomotive on rails.
This unique vessel is now offered for a discriminating owner with an appreciation of the beauty and sea worthiness of a meticulously crafted cold molded yacht. She has only had two owners, the builder and the current owner who has lavished her with attention and continuous upgrades as well as a thoughtful and regular maintenance program.
John Cunningham, the owner of Cunningham Marine, wanted. He found this in the Wylie 45’ cutter.
Cunningham Marine had access to an amazing selection of materials to construct this unique vessel. Including, Monel for keel bolts, Mil spec stainless steel for super structure; including floors, chain plates, mast step and exterior fittings. John was able to source Old Growth Douglas Fir, Old Growth South Eastern Asian Teak, Philippine Iron Wood and Mahogany and Tangalee. The hull was constructed in Subic Bay as John was then the civil service superintendent at the facility maintaining, refitting, and repairing nuclear submarines. Her hull was built upside down, frames and bulkheads where erected, the massive, laminated keel and shear clamps epoxied (West Systems Epoxies were used exclusively). The first course of Ύ” square cut Douglas Fir planking is edge glued, tabbed to frames and edge nailed with Monel staples. Three layers of 1/8” mahogany is set with epoxy and a fourth layer runs fore and aft. Additional veneers are added to her internal structure between the water line and the keel bringing the skin flush to the keel (the hull is over 10” thick in this location). All external surfaces have fiberglass sheathing, all internal surfaces are sealed with multiple coats of epoxy. The result is a complete monocoque structure and as such Malaya is tight, quiet, and dry; not to mention, incredibly strong.
Asking $109,000
www.malaya4sail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_0842.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	239333  
Old 28-05-2021, 09:09   #2

very nice!!
Old 28-05-2021, 09:10   #3

I'm the second owner. I've had her for the last 18 years
Old 28-05-2021, 15:54   #4

Boat: Adams 40'

May I ask where Malaya is currently ? As I am in the Philippines and would love to inspect her if possible?
Warm Regards!
Old 28-05-2021, 16:16   #5

Malaya is located in Ventura California
Old 28-05-2021, 16:35   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
re: SALE PENDING :Custom Wylie 45' Cutter 1983

Looks a very nice boat, and strong as hell for sure. But it would be nice to have a bit of more objective data, things like displacement, rig details, engine size and age, better view of the keel and rudder/skeg, boat dimensions (LOA, LWL, max beam, waterline beam, drivel line details, views under the sole where available... all the stuff that really defines the boat.

This isn't for me, for I already have my strip planked dream boat, but if I were in the market, I'd sure want all that info.

Hope you can find a new owner who will appreciate the gem that she appears to be!

Jim
Old 28-05-2021, 18:17   #7

Jim,
You have valid points, but I wonder if you looked at either the Yacht World posting or the web site that are part of the ad. I had intended for the ad on Cruisers Forum (there is another on Sailing Anarchy) to steer inquires to these other sites. Too often I see ads with multi pictures of the toilet, a cabinet and a few deck blocks. There is the original sail plan posted with dimensions. Additionally information including displacement (24,5000 #), beam (12'3"), waterline length (36'6") etc. are mostly there. The big issue is finding an interested party without a negative mindset around wood. Here in Southern California, the land of plastic production boats this is the challenge. Once past this, I can share all of her particulars. I have a most complete set of her plans. Again, for the type of sailor that you are the marketing would be different.
Old 28-05-2021, 18:38   #8

Boat: Sabre 34II

She’s a beauty, good luck with the sale.
Old 28-05-2021, 18:38   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^
I did visit the linked site, but didn't find those items well shown. Glad to have the additions that you posted here.

I do understand that you will be fighting the "never buy a wooden boat, they all rot and fall apart and require constant maintenance" myths, especially in SoCal. I'd be sure to include ads directed at the wooden boat community in Pt Townsend, though they tend to be kinda traditionally directed.

Good luck with the sale... I suspect that it will be a bit distressing to eventually see her sailing away with a new skipper. When we arrived to inspect our Insatiable II, the owner/builder's wife, who had been a working partner in the construction, greeted us and t hen burst into tears. Made me feel like a bad guy, but that was 17 years ago and Gary and Sue remain good friends to this day.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-05-2021, 18:43   #10

I too had that type of experience. I bought the boat from John's wife, she cried during the entire sea trials. Her words were "John wants you to own Malaya" John had passed away several years earlier. Some boats are owned some own the caretaker.
Old 29-05-2021, 09:00   #11

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRosenthal View Post
Jim,
You have valid points, but I wonder if you looked at either the Yacht World posting or the web site that are part of the ad. I had intended for the ad on Cruisers Forum (there is another on Sailing Anarchy) to steer inquires to these other sites. Too often I see ads with multi pictures of the toilet, a cabinet and a few deck blocks. There is the original sail plan posted with dimensions. Additionally information including displacement (24,5000 #), beam (12'3"), waterline length (36'6") etc. are mostly there. The big issue is finding an interested party without a negative mindset around wood. Here in Southern California, the land of plastic production boats this is the challenge. Once past this, I can share all of her particulars. I have a most complete set of her plans. Again, for the type of sailor that you are the marketing would be different.
Given that the apex adventure for many sailors in this area is a circumnavigation of Catalina Island, all those Beneteau 35's are about all most people need. So there is not a big market for Transocean cruisers in this area. Now finding a place to keep that Bene is a whole other issue which has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads.
Old 29-05-2021, 09:07   #12

Joel,
There is no question regarding the type of cruising and the vessels to support it here in SoCal. Malaya has cruised out of Ventura and thus the Northern Channel Islands are her playground. Up here, things can and do often get a little sporty. Add to that, Malaya would make for an excellent choice for a cruise to Mexico and beyond.
Old 29-05-2021, 10:17   #13

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRosenthal View Post
From the architectural house of Thomas Wylie Design Group, Malaya is an inboard, mast head cutter that is intended to be a fast cruiser/racer to be sailed with a crew as few as 2. This is apparent in both the deck and cockpit layout as well as the unique cabin design. Not tied to a rating rule, Malaya is fast, extremely stable, comfortable and tracks like a locomotive on rails.
This unique vessel is now offered for a discriminating owner with an appreciation of the beauty and sea worthiness of a meticulously crafted cold molded yacht. She has only had two owners, the builder and the current owner who has lavished her with attention and continuous upgrades as well as a thoughtful and regular maintenance program.
John Cunningham, the owner of Cunningham Marine, wanted. He found this in the Wylie 45’ cutter.
Cunningham Marine had access to an amazing selection of materials to construct this unique vessel. Including, Monel for keel bolts, Mil spec stainless steel for super structure; including floors, chain plates, mast step and exterior fittings. John was able to source Old Growth Douglas Fir, Old Growth South Eastern Asian Teak, Philippine Iron Wood and Mahogany and Tangalee. The hull was constructed in Subic Bay as John was then the civil service superintendent at the facility maintaining, refitting, and repairing nuclear submarines. Her hull was built upside down, frames and bulkheads where erected, the massive, laminated keel and shear clamps epoxied (West Systems Epoxies were used exclusively). The first course of Ύ” square cut Douglas Fir planking is edge glued, tabbed to frames and edge nailed with Monel staples. Three layers of 1/8” mahogany is set with epoxy and a fourth layer runs fore and aft. Additional veneers are added to her internal structure between the water line and the keel bringing the skin flush to the keel (the hull is over 10” thick in this location). All external surfaces have fiberglass sheathing, all internal surfaces are sealed with multiple coats of epoxy. The result is a complete monocoque structure and as such Malaya is tight, quiet, and dry; not to mention, incredibly strong.
Asking $109,000
www.malaya4sail.com
Beautiful and one of the best presentations I have seen. Good Luck!
Old 30-05-2021, 00:10   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Some boats are owned some own the caretaker.
Yes. Definitely agree. A friend of ours built their timber Vertue, and he says he's her "steward." And this includes a very high level of stewarship!

This will be a wonderful boat for someone brave enough to think outside the box, and with enough experience to recognize her virtues.

Ann
Old 02-06-2021, 12:20   #15

Being wood doesn't scare me at all.. My last boat was a 1939 John Alden, so wood and varnish were my twins that I lovingly took care of.. Still need to contact and would love to see sometime soon.. Chat soon.. cheers!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cutter