Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 13:54   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Leopard 39 Weight

How does the weight of the Leopard 39 compare to the Leopard 38?

They are both very similiar, but I know the 39 has a hard top bimini for the helm and at least in the Charter versions (sunsail 384 vs Moorings 3900), the 39 is the owners version and has A/C and genset where there 38 does not.

When my wife and I are ready to cruise, this is top on our list based on what we've seen and used. The Leopard 46 is probably number one on mine, but its more than we need and significantly more expensive.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 16:29   #17

Boat: between boats

[QUOTE=muskoka;825147]Drunknsailor,

Add a ton+ of cruising gear to your load and you'd sink 25cm and be lucky to make 5+ knots in that 15 knot breeze. At which point, I do believe the same amount of cash would buy you a monohull which could take the load and manage 7+ knots.

Thanks again muskoka really appreciate the insight.

Per the builder the sinkage rate on this boat is 1cm per 250kg so 1 ton only drops it 4cm. Thats what im getting at is while the boat isnt the greatest sailor per drunkensailors feedback it does seem to carry alot for its lengthso wopnt suffer as much for the load and as catmando points out its cos its so wide in the hulls.

Like you say its physics so if its wide in the hulls its gonna have more drag for sure but if you compensate for that with more sail area where do you wind up? ie can a good cruiser be shorter but wider(in the hull) if it has the power to cope?

Friends who have circumnavigated tell me dont underestimate load carrying on extended cruising or you do end up with a cat as slow as a mono (or worse to windward)

If im after a cat to carry 3 tonnes then im either looking at something over 45 feet and narrower hulls or maybe the shorter wider hulls of the L39. (Im looking at both) What got me interested in this boat(besides the Mrs' big tick on layout) is its load carrying for length. ie on paper it does the job of a much bigger boat it seems.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 16:33   #18

Maytrix the L39 is about 150kg more than the 38 but its due to a few things like aircon etc as you say.

I would be planning to option them out so much of a muchness i think. Agree the L46 looks the business for cruising but also cant justify the spend for jusyt 2 people.
Old 25-11-2011, 16:48   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Like you say its physics so if its wide in the hulls its gonna have more drag for sure but if you compensate for that with more sail area where do you wind up? ie can a good cruiser be shorter but wider(in the hull) if it has the power to cope?
More HP means bigger and stronger rig and sails (more expensive) and stronger boat to attach it to (more expensive and heavy)
plus, you cant just put a 45 ft boats rig on an over endowed 37 ft cat hoping it will make it sail better.
Thats that trying to get a silk purse from a sows ear I mentioned before
More likely what will happen is something will break or it will end up on its roof.

As has been mentioned before, look for good unrestrained second hand instead of new but compromised.
Get your 37 footer, but get in on 45 ft hulls.

All just one mans opinion of course.

Again, how much does this cat cost compared to a good second hand cat that has all the bugs ironed out of.

Add: Something like this, how does it compare
Bahia 46 Fountaine-Pajot Catamaran

I'm not saying this is "the" boat, but to my way of thinking and a cursory glance it would have to stack up better than a 50ft shoehorned into 37 ft.
Old 25-11-2011, 20:36   #20

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

The big difference between a 38/40 ft and 45/46 ft cat is load carrying and that comes back to what you are going to do with your vessel.

If you are likely to provision for long periods without resupply/refuel and are setting up with heavier equiptment such as dive compressor/dive gear you ar starting to look at 3 tonnes plus added and greater waterline will be better.

If only a couple with lighter load then 38/40 foot makes good economics.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 14:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Add: Something like this, how does it compare
Bahia 46 Fountaine-Pajot Catamaran

I'm not saying this is "the" boat, but to my way of thinking and a cursory glance it would have to stack up better than a 50ft shoehorned into 37 ft.
Ive been on a bahia 46 but not sailed one. the ergonomics look pretty dated to me (eg top loading fridge where you bench space is, uncomfortable cockpit etc etc) on paper it looks like it sails well but I always go back to the old crusiing addage 70% on the hook, 20% motoring, 10% sailing and so ergonomics matter and they have come along way in the last 5 or so years!

(im hoping with a half decent performing cat to switch the 10 and 20% though...)

What do you think of the catana 43 or 47? - has the length, not too heavy at 7tonnes but also got some creature comforts and can carry 3 tonnes apparently. The hull shape worries me a bit witht the square protrusions though... would be over 100k more than the new leopard for a 7 or 8 year old boat

no boat has it all though frustrating eh?
Old 27-11-2011, 15:21   #22

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

barra,

The kelsall 46 I believe is a scalled up 40 and this vessel almost brand new would be better value.
2011 CORPORACIÓN BALLOTA SAC Custom 46 Sail New and Used Boats for

Can have one built for no more than that. Perhaps berrer value than the FP Bahia for similar price.

Catamarans - Kelsall Catamarans - Sail Design Range Over 46 Foot

food for thought.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 15:31   #23

thanks downunder - just had a quick look - weight and length look great - first roadblock for me at least is the 68cm bridgedeck clearance on a 46 footer..

damn!
Old 27-11-2011, 15:42   #24

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull View Post
Forgive my inexperience but an Otremer 49 lists:

- Displacement: 9,5 T
- Main sail: 92.50 m2

Is this the light weight or the max/total weight or is displacement something different?
If it doesn't say then it's light ship weight and that's metric tonnes or 1000 KG. But it's still a really light boat. The Lagoon 500 and the older Catana 50 are both 50% heavier. FWIW I've seen Lagoon 500s at almost 45,500 pounds heavy ship. I wonder how fast that would be? Not very. Check out this one. BOB
http://multihullcompany.com/Catamara...goon_500/Jewel
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 15:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
barra,

The kelsall 46 I believe is a scalled up 40 and this vessel almost brand new would be better value.
2011 CORPORACIÓN BALLOTA SAC Custom 46 Sail New and Used Boats for

Can have one built for no more than that. Perhaps berrer value than the FP Bahia for similar price.

Catamarans - Kelsall Catamarans - Sail Design Range Over 46 Foot

food for thought.
There used to be one of these Ballotas on Yachtworld and it was a disaster for an almost new boat. One hull sat lower than the other and water was up over the bottom landing on the sugar scoop. I think it's the one that is now offered but fixed up. Everything had to be redone. I would be very careful about these. BOB
Old 27-11-2011, 15:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
first roadblock for me at least is the 68cm bridgedeck clearance
I suspect its more than the leopard 37 has

Old 27-11-2011, 15:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
What do you think of the catana 43 or 47? -
Exposed helm is an issue, a big one in my opinion.

Quote:
The hull shape worries me a bit
I can guarantee you that it is a far superior hullshape to the leopard 37 wishing it was 50

Quote:
with the square protrusions though
What square protrusions?
Old 27-11-2011, 16:10   #28

These square protrusions in a Catana 471. But these boats are known to be absolutely fantastic and one of Catanas best. I want one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	471.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	34151  
Old 27-11-2011, 16:15   #29

the L39 is 1 cm better bridgedeck (not much but its a much smaller boat so relativeley massive diff) and with flared hulls and good sinkage i would back it over kelsall on this front at least

catana "squares"

Old 27-11-2011, 16:23   #30

yeah i quite like em too sabdcrab but i would want to sail one in some rough water before i parted with my hardearned - they look like they would go well on the flat but why oh why didnt they at least flare the hull if they wanted room???

Tags
leopard