Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 13:35   #61

Re: Leopard 39 Weight

Have you looked at the Tomcat 9.7? My wife and I saw one at the Annapolis show awhile back and found it felt more open than the Gemini inside.

TomCat Boats Designer & Manufacturer of Exceptional Catamarans
Old 09-08-2012, 13:36   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknsailor View Post
I own a sunsail 384.(L38)

I have no idea what she weighs but here is how she sails.

On a charter in Greece this October we averaged 7+ knots with 15 knots true on the beam and about 8 knots with 20(1 reef in main)

As a guide, I plan on half the true wind speed.This is without folding props. I also plan on passing monohulls in the 38-42 range as long as I have at least 12 knots apparent wind, up to about 40 degrees apparent.

Overall, this boat sails quite nice as long as you are not smashing directly into the seas. She doesn't like that at all!

On that Greece trip I would figure that we had a load of about 2 tons, including fuel and water.
Thank you for your comments that are based upon personal experience instead of conjecture of what the sailing ability of the L39 should be based upon specs! Your observation has been repeated since your post by other objective evaluators.
bobamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19   #63

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

FWIW Canibul purchased a Catalac 12M and you can see that under his name. When you update it goes all the way back to every one of your posts. I think cost was a big factor. Lots of boat for not a lot of bucks.
Old 10-08-2012, 19:07   #64

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamis View Post
Thank you for your comments that are based upon personal experience instead of conjecture of what the sailing ability of the L39 should be based upon specs! Your observation has been repeated since your post by other objective evaluators.

Join date Mar 2007 - posts 1

thanks to you for posting after 5 years on sidelines bobamis (just tongue in cheek mate)

the point of my original post was to try and understand why the spces of the boat were what they were and i think we got there with some pretty good insight from both actual experience and more removed experts using just the specs. Both were valuable IMHO
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:34   #65

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamis View Post
You don't need to sail every boat to know what's fast or slow. The ones I sail past are slower - the ones that sail past me must be running their engines.....
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:52   #66

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
You don't need to sail every boat to know what's fast or slow. The ones I sail past are slower - the ones that sail past me must be running their engines.....
Or they are just better sailors.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:00   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Well, that is an informed response. Why bother making such a posting with such little fact? The actual measurements can seen easiliy enough on line but the balance is pure conjecture and not borne out in reality. What the heck does it matter what it weighs if there is load capacity and performance? Sea keeping abilities - already well proven. Yet another posting that is ill informed and adds no meaningful content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
You mean Leopard 37ft 6

More than my 50fters loaded displacement

Read fat and slow hullform

I suspect they are not being built for those that have any interest in performance or sea keeping abilities.

Did you really expect one?
If they told you the truth they would probably have no customers
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard