Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2018, 15:44   #1

Boat: Alerion Express 28
Water proof cell phone?

At 76, I still do a lot of single handing in SF Bay. Of course, I wear a PFD but I would also like a small flip cell phone to call the CG or 911 if necessary. My VHF is waterproof but doesn't comfortably attach to the PFD. Is there a simple waterproof product out there? No smart phones, please.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 16:10   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Water proof cell phone?

Problem with any waterproof phone is that it will sink if it detaches. A floating VHF, imho, is the better choice and can be used to broadcast alert nearby vessels. Small floating VHF handhelds are readily available.

On the phone front, plenty of waterproof (ip68) phones both basic and smart, cheap and expensive. I'd be concerned about just how waterproof and durable some really are when submerged in salt water, though. The best bet would be to grab a good quality used "rugged" phone designed for outdoor use by tradesman if you want to use this option.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 16:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've probably got my Casio water proof phone lying around somewhere. Can't remember what the phone was called but it's near mil spec in rugged construction and definitely water proof to 12' as I inadvertently tested it. If you can wait till I get home next month and find where I stashed it, would make you a deal on it. Assume the battery is probably shot as I haven't charged it since I got my iPhone 5 which I know wasn't water proof. Got smart late and got a waterproof housing on the replacement for the '5' that went swimming. The iPhone 7 is water proof to 6' or so as are many late model Android phones.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 08:20   #4

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Water proof cell phone?

My iPhone 7 seems water resistant as I inadvertently went snorkeling with it. Using it now.
Touch screen doesn’t work wet so that’s a problem.
Old 22-09-2018, 09:38   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Almost all the cell phones are smartphones these days. You can find the Samsung Rugby in various versions, that is a "ruggedized" basic phone. Verizon also sold some of the Casio's or Samsungs.

But with all of them there are limited service options, with 2G, 3G, CDMA, all tombstoned already. Your choice may be limited by your carrier.

A number of phones are IP67 or 68 rated for water resistance now, but that rating is also not forever, typically just a year or two.

A better solution might be an EWA-Marine pouch, or similar. Think of it as a professional grade ziplock bag, easily replaced every few years, compatible with all carriers.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 09:56   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Grand Banks 46

I think a floatable vhf with built in GPS and DSC is by far your best and most reliable way of sending a mayday in an area like SF Bay. Push the red DSC distress button and the USCG Rescue 21 system will know exactly where you are without needing voice communications if you are in real trouble.
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:01   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Not sure I see your problem. Put any cheap phone in a zip lock freezer bag that is big enough to float when closed ( I think a quart bag would probably work). I would not use a flip phone for this.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:43   #8

I use this
ACR 2886 AISLink Personal AIS Man Overboard Beacon

fits inside my PFD, automatically deployed
elittke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 11:34   #9

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothedd View Post
I think a floatable vhf with built in GPS and DSC is by far your best and most reliable way of sending a mayday in an area like SF Bay. Push the red DSC distress button and the USCG Rescue 21 system will know exactly where you are without needing voice communications if you are in real trouble.
^^ BINGO ^^
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 11:43   #10

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

I would suggest a PLB (personal locator beacon).
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 12:08   #11

Boat: Amel 50

I am not saying that a cell phone is a good idea (depends on many things), but if you want a waterproof cell phone with you, Use this:

https://www.amazon.com/JOTO-Universa...ll+phone+pouch

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 10:36   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan j View Post
I would suggest a PLB (personal locator beacon).

If your outside of normal comms range, a PLB is an excellent plan.
However it’s more of an I need help within the next 24 hours thing, than I need help now. EPIRB or PLB initiates SAR actions which starts with phone calls etc., then when it’s decided that it’s a real SAR, assets are launched.
If your within VHF range, a radio can get you help now.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 10:56   #13

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I know you said no smartphones, but Samsung Galaxy 5 can be had for pennies, and they were completely waterproof.... all newer samsungs are more or less water resistant. But I completely second the waterproof VHF, and then take whatever phone you like in a waterproof pouch for 5 bucks. Or a ziplock bag for 5 cents.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 11:25   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Sony xperia has waterproof models too.

And a PLB or VHF cannot post on youtube, instagram, facebook or twitter when you are over board.

Especialy if you want follower, you definitely need a smartphone in MOB situations.
Old 23-09-2018, 11:32   #15

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
And a PLB or VHF cannot post on youtube, instagram, facebook or twitter when you are over board.
Especialy if you want follower, you definitely need a smartphone in MOB situations.
Are you actually serious? You are suggesting that a single handed sailor in an MOB situation should post his plight on Facebook? Sigh.....
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, phone, water