Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2018, 11:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Water proof cell phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Sony xperia has waterproof models too.

And a PLB or VHF cannot post on youtube, instagram, facebook or twitter when you are over board.

Especialy if you want follower, you definitely need a smartphone in MOB situations.

Ha, ha, ha!

Good one
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 12:00   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The picture boom posted is basically what EWA-Marine has sold since the 80's or earlier. EWA has a good reputation, some of the handy no-name stuff is better at keeping out beach sand than really being waterproof.

And there are a number of "SOS" apps for smartphones, including some SOS feature that Samsung has added to their new phones. The (not waterproof but inexpensive and easily pouched) flip phones from Consumer Cellular also have an SOS button on the outside of the case. Click it three times and it puts through an emergency call to a monitoring station.

All sort of mainly unpublicized ways to get a simple emergency call from a cell phone these days.

Although I understand that if you post an SOS to Facebook, you'll great all sorts of great discount offers on life vests, life rafts, and other gear targeted for your advertising. (sigh)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 23:40   #18

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

And Amazon express shipping may save your life, also you can order pizza delivery to your liferaft while waiting for help. just saying...
Old 24-09-2018, 14:05   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
At 76, I still do a lot of single handing in SF Bay. Of course, I wear a PFD but I would also like a small flip cell phone to call the CG or 911 if necessary. My VHF is waterproof but doesn't comfortably attach to the PFD. Is there a simple waterproof product out there? No smart phones, please.
Hello, Dean,

I also think ParrotHead hit the nail on the head, that for you a floating hand held VHF would be the way to go. It's not cheap, but it would do exactly what you want, if you're in trouble on the boat or in the water, and imho, would be a lot quicker than calling 911, especially if it were a Mayday situation, rather than a Panne panne. The reason is that it may not go to a station near to you, whereas the Coast Guard are right there on 16, and will take you off to a working channel, and you're talking to the guys with the assets who can help you the most quickly. Maybe you can work out a pocket with a velcro flap to keep the VHF in on your PFD.

Ann
Old 26-09-2018, 03:49   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Dean,

I also think ParrotHead hit the nail on the head, that for you a floating hand held VHF would be the way to go. It's not cheap, but it would do exactly what you want, if you're in trouble on the boat or in the water, and imho, would be a lot quicker than calling 911, especially if it were a Mayday situation, rather than a Panne panne. The reason is that it may not go to a station near to you, whereas the Coast Guard are right there on 16, and will take you off to a working channel, and you're talking to the guys with the assets who can help you the most quickly. Maybe you can work out a pocket with a velcro flap to keep the VHF in on your PFD.

Ann

A waterproof VHF with DSC distress button would be even much better.

But I think all mobile phones used on boats should be waterproof. If I had a dollar for every mobile phone I killed on board a yacht before I started buying waterproof ones . . .

And if you fall overboard, how likely are you to have the VHF on you? You never plan to fall overboard. It's much more likely that you'll have a phone in your pocket.

More and more smartphones are waterproof these days. Sony started it with their Xperias (and I was an early adopter of these), but now Samsung and I think even Fapple make waterproof phones.

The later generations seem to have better and better waterproofing. The early Xperias had flaps covering the ports which were pretty flimsy, and once worn or if not properly put back in place, the phone is not waterproof. The latest ones have proper waterproof ports that don't you require you to seal anything after charging or disconnecting headphones, etc., and with much more robust sealing of the SIM card and other ports.

Nowadays I really wouldn't consider a non-waterproof phone. Even off the boat, a lot of non-waterproof phones get ruined by getting splashed or dunked in something.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 05:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I lost my iPhone 6 to salt water after a surf unintentional dunking, even though it was in the “best you can buy” waterproof case.

My company issued iPhone 6 got a few rain drops on it, and I mean a few, which didn’t ruin the phone, but clearly got inside the case and ran down the screen. Water magnet.

I keep my iPhone in the best waterproof case I can find and still put it in a dry bag whenever I get in the dingy. I use the damn thing a lot for navigation.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 06:48   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 27

CAT S61, very waterproof and has a built in FLIR camera.
mathiasben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 09:06   #23

Boat: 43 Mikelson

Two days ago my iPhone fell in the water(actually it was in my pocket when I fell in at the dinghy dock...rum) I dried it off and it is still working 4 days later.
The main thing is don’t try to charge the phone if there is any moisture in the charging port. It corrodes the small contacts from the salt water and 12 volt power.
I tossed my charging cord and used a new one and it seems fine
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 14:53   #24

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Many of the high end phones released in the last few years, including iPhone and Samsung's are water resistant. Not necessarily waterproof in the strictest sense but some claim ip68 ratings. I'd still prefer a ruggedised phone for impact resistance and salt water exposure for use on a sailboat.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 16:53   #25

Boat: Alerion Express 28
Smile Re: Water proof cell phone?

Thanks for all the thoughtful and informative suggestions. I have decided to go with a waterproof VHF (which is already in my toolkit). I stopped by a canvas maker today and he stitched a horizontal web across one of the PFD arms to accommodate the clip on the back of the VHF. I also attached a lanyard from the VHF to a ring on the PFD. Total cost: $20 It is a mystery why West Marine or someone else doesn't make this product.

I tried a waterproof bag for my cell telephone but it might be difficult opening the bag and connecting in the water while not getting the phone wet. Also, the response would not be as prompt and effective as a MAYDAY on 16.

If I ever need to use it (and it works) I will let the forum know. Hope not!
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, phone, water