Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2019, 07:57   #31

Re: How to get weather forecasts whilst offshore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Many of those of us who count ourselves as Lee's friends have told him how important his countributions have been to cruisers. He knows. I'll tell him there is yet another holding up their hand. ...
I attended a couple of Lee's classes/sessions years ago at a boat show. Thankfully, I had some knowledge of weather and weather charts before walking into that room because Lee can pack HUGE amounts of weather knowledge in a minimal number of words! Listening to Lee talk weather was like trying to sip water from a fire house. I bought his 500MB chart book and it reads just like Lee talks. I have read that book at least three times and need to reread it again. Not a thick book but it just has sooooo much information...

My impression from Lee was that he and his fellow forecaster knew the importance of their work and that they tried to do their best since lives could be at risk. Even the minimal amount of time I had in Lee's lecture and reading his book, greatly expanded my weather knowledge. Many a light bulb came on when he was teaching...

I heard Lee had gotten sick and I sure hope he can get better.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:17   #32

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
Our most used weather product is SiriusXM Weather.
I've used this quite a bit myself for the mostly coastal cruising I've done thus far. You can suspend it when not needed which makes the $50/mo. 'Master Mariner' package more reasonable. You need the hardware, of course, which in my case is a black box and separate antenna which displays it on my Garmin plotters. I've heard you can get it well beyond the 'official' coverage area. Possibly as far out as Bermuda and the S. Carib. I've had no problems receiving it in the Bahamas.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 12:00   #33

Ask me next month and each month after that !!! LOL
Imagineou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 14:54   #34

Learn what the different skies mean, and read the sky. It will tell you better than any mechanical device.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 06:20   #35

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Learn what the different skies mean, and read the sky. It will tell you better than any mechanical device.
Looking out the window is very important. It can certainly tell you that the cold front predicted to pass "today" will be this morning, or this afternoon, or has stalled. It is not a substitute for longer term forecasts.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 02:23   #36

Boat: Patagonie 39

Hi everybody, I found an alternative to get weather info at lower cost no matter where you are on our planet, see please Mikeno - Weather forecast via SMS - v2 for more!
Mikeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forecast, offshore, weather