Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 00:15   #1
Tri

Grib files via multiband radio

Hi,

does anybody have any experience in receiving Grib files via a multi band radio like the SANGEAN ATS-909X PLL or PL880 DSP SSB or the like. On the ipad I have a program called HF FAX from blackcatsystems.

Before buying an expensive multi band radio I would like to get some first hand info if it really works and is reliable.

Any recommendation on hardware would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks already for your input.

Cheers,
Achim
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:41   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Grib files via multiband radio

Will work for fax..not for gribs.

Lookee here.... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-157628.html and if you simply enter Tecsun into the 'search' facility, third from the right up the top you will find lots of stuff.

I would buy the Tecsun 880 ahead of the Sangean but both are good.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:47   #3
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I bought the Sony from Amazon for $ 130. Set the receiver next to an iPad running the app, and get weather faxes from the USCG down here in the Turks and Caicos Islands, no problem after some practice I do have to stretch the antenna out.

Would be nice to have a hardwired audio link from the Sony output into the iPad, but it works okay with the sony speaker near the iPad mic. Ambient noise makes the files noisy, too.

There's a photo of it on this blog post.

5th photo from the top.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:45   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I bought the Sony from Amazon for $ 130. Set the receiver next to an iPad running the app, and get weather faxes from the USCG down here in the Turks and Caicos Islands, no problem after some practice I do have to stretch the antenna out.

Would be nice to have a hardwired audio link from the Sony output into the iPad, but it works okay with the sony speaker near the iPad mic. Ambient noise makes the files noisy, too.

5th photo from the top.
I'm guessing then, that trying it onboard, while under sail is a non starter? Given all of the noise onboard a boat.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

5th photo from the top.
I think you are getting wefax rather than gribs....

Life is getting more difficult in the Mac world... Macbooks used to have separate sound in and sound out...my present one has one plughole and you have to choose between in or out and I believe all the new stuff only has sound out so you would need a sound card of some sort - Griffin make them .. https://griffintechnology.com/us/products/audio/imic - plugged into a USB port.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:00   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'm guessing then, that trying it onboard, while under sail is a non starter? Given all of the noise onboard a boat.
I thought the same about the android Hfax app, but it actually somehow worked very well indeed across Biscay on a delivery just sitting next to a degen 1103. Definitely usable images.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:01   #7
Tri

Here is your hardware link. I gave the drawing to a friend a lot smarter than myself and it cost me a beer and 3 Euro. I heve not tested it yet though because I don't have a world-band radio yet.

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/ipad/...ne_Wiring.html

Cheers,
Achim

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-12-2015, 07:55   #8

Check out this SAIL magazine article
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:35   #9
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Well, my boat is a lot quieter than sitting on my patio with trade wind noise. And sitting outside is a lot noiser than being in the cabin. I think it would work quite well on the boat. I had the antenna stretched horizontally on the patio. I'd run it up a flag halyard on the boat, and through a hatch into the salon. Very quiet.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27   #10

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post
Hi,

does anybody have any experience in receiving Grib files via a multi band radio like the SANGEAN ATS-909X PLL or PL880 DSP SSB or the like. On the ipad I have a program called HF FAX from blackcatsystems.

Before buying an expensive multi band radio I would like to get some first hand info if it really works and is reliable.

Any recommendation on hardware would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks already for your input.

Cheers,
Achim
===

You'll need SSB transmit/receive capability to get GRIB files, otherwise you are limited to Weather FAX reception.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 14:33   #11
Tri

Thanks to all for the replies so far. Yes, sorry I meant weather FAX, not grib. Does anybody have experience using this setup far offshore? Is it reliable?
Cheers,
Achim
Old 13-12-2015, 15:07   #12

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Thanks to all for the replies so far. Yes, sorry I meant weather FAX, not grib. Does anybody have experience using this setup far offshore? Is it reliable?
Cheers,
Achim
===

With a good receiver and antenna, weather fax can be quite reliable. The shore stations are powerful, automated, and adhere closely to their schedules. Your first challenge will be to determine the right frequencies to monitor based on your location and time of day. That takes some study and experience. Your other challenge is learning to interpret the received fax reports. Some knowledge of weather maps and weather systems is needed, as well as how weather systems change and interact over time. That takes some study and experience also.

There's a book available on Amazon that you might find helpful:

Understanding Weatherfax: A Guide to Forecasting the Weather from Radio and Internet Fax Charts: Mike Harris: 9781574092158: Amazon.com: Books
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 17:16   #13

Quote:
Cheers,
Achim
Yes and Yes.

As stated directly above the hard bit is working out which frequency at what time for your location.

And pick a quiet location while doing it. I was sitting outside under a tree last night listening to one of my small radios on HF... when it got dark I turned on the fancy new led downlight I had just bought to hang in said tree... quite literally wiped out everything on hf.
Old 13-12-2015, 22:48   #14

In the old days I have used it in remote places in Turkey far from Wi-Fi and civilisation.

I doubt that the program ( Forgot witch one ) I used will work with the newer OS systems.

I had a Kenwood Ts 430 -s connected via the phones out to the mic in from my laptop.

Remember I had to run the laptop from its own battery to avoid interference. Switch off the refrigerator for same reason.

Does anyone know if newer app´s exist for Win 8.1 or win 7 ?
OldBawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 22:55   #15

JVcomm32 works OK on W7 on a pc....don't know about newer OSs.
Ping

Tags
radio, rib