Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-12-2015, 19:38   #1

SSB reciever

Hello All!

I have now been cruising south for three months, and feeling like an SSB receiver would be good to have on board. I am hoping to get one which will be able to get the weather fax (onto laptop via aux cable and such) and listen in on weather nets. The plan is to leave Mexico, head west, and maybe some south. Tahiti, then maybe New Zealand etc. I was hoping to get one which would be able to pick up the nets for those distance from land, to know about the weather. I have read good thing about some portables, but then others I have talked to say complete useless, and its worth spending a little more and get an Icom receiver or something. Im on a budget, and cannot spend 500 just to receive messages, but willing to spend 200-350 on something which will actually work. Suggestions? Portable or not...

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 09-12-2015, 19:48   #2

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: SSB reciever

Degen 1103 has worked well for me around the Atlantic, using both a laptop and Android tablet to receive weatherfax. . The operating system is a bit clunky but for the price it's a great radio.

Old 09-12-2015, 19:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop

Your best bet is to forget "receiver" and get a good used ham transceiver with a built-in wide coverage receiver. Most modern ham rigs have such receivers, and virtually all of them are far superior to the small receivers you see for $100 or so..

You can find good used rigs for $200-$300. In addition to providing the receive capability you want, you can later on decide to get a ham license and hook up the rig for full two-way communications.

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 09-12-2015, 20:52   #4

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Portable with SSB?
My short list.

Sony 7600GR. Sony quality, tuning by up down buttons, wire ant clips on to radio ant.
Sangean 909X. Good radio with 'line out'.
Tecsun 660/680 Good radios but no 'line out'
Tecsun 880. Very nice...has 'line out'.

I have four of them but sold the 660 to buy the 680 and my Sangean is the earlier 909 without the 'X'.

My 'go to' radios are the Sangean and the 880.

However like Bill says something like an Icom 718 is superior to all of them.

Reviews of them can be found here http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8 and here Reviews | The SWLing Post

Anon-co are good to deal with if buying on Ebay.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 20:55   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Your best bet is to forget "receiver" and get a good used ham transceiver with a built-in wide coverage receiver. Most modern ham rigs have such receivers, and virtually all of them are far superior to the small receivers you see for $100 or so..

You can find good used rigs for $200-$300. In addition to providing the receive capability you want, you can later on decide to get a ham license and hook up the rig for full two-way communications.

Bill
WA6CCA
If you follow the above plan, then, in an emergency, you would be able to talk to the hams--they always accept emergency traffic.

Ann
Old 09-12-2015, 22:09   #6

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

I've just sucked this out of the sky... VMC Charleville, Queensland on 13918.1 USB
Radios were an Icom 718 and my Tecsun 880.
Both hooked up to a Stridsberg multicoupler so I could switch betwen aerials.

I had taken the 718 off the dipole and ran it first... initially using a longwire, then an AOR sa7000 and then a Wellbrook loop.

The hash is where I changed the 'line out' wire to the Tecsun where I did the same thing with it, equal time more or less on the three different ants.

Feature I failed to mention on the 880 is that when you dial in that frequency the display actually shows the freq to two decimal places of a kHz... ie 13918.10.... the others only display to the whole kHz and you have to fine tune by ear or using the display on your fax program.

and also.... I compressed that file quite a bit.... actual screen was a lot sharper than that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faxoo.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	114628  
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 19:31   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Andrew,
Although, Bill makes an excellent point and his suggestion is VERY good!
If you look, you can find a clean / working Icom IC-735 (which was one of the best "12vdc mobile" HF rigs made by Icom, in the past 25 years), for about $250....
This would be a great solution for you...

But, should you be on a real tight budget, and a receiver is all that you want....well, read on...

And, while I'm partial to the Sangean 909 series radios (or the Sony SW-7600 series), many also like the DE 1103...

Have you looked at the thread above???
looking for help with ssb receiver only
Because there is a great deal of info there for you...especially the links there....

And in the "sticky" at the top of the Marine Electronics page...
Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use / proeprly-install SSB, & troubleshoot RFI, etc.)

Please have a look at those threads, and the links...and I think they might help you out...

Fair winds...

John

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: