Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 01:52   #166

Boat: Hunter 326
Re: Vesper Marine AIS

Ive got my Anchor Alarm and the silence switch installed. Working nicely. Question, would the alarm work for TCPA and CPA?
trantor12020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:40   #167
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
Ive got my Anchor Alarm and the silence switch installed. Working nicely. Question, would the alarm work for TCPA and CPA?
Not yet.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 03:50   #168

Boat: Lagoon 42

I have just ordered the Vesper Marine XB 8000 because of the raving reviews and because I am planning on a plotter / radar upgrade as well for nice integration

Currently many (Raym Lighthouse) plotters have wifi capabilities

If I get a new wifi capable plotter and wifi radar , can the XB-8000 be connected to the plotter through wifi as well ? or do I need to run NMEA2K cables from the XB8000 to the plotter ? , would be great if I can just install 12 volt to the plotter and connect the XB8000 through wifi

maybe this was discussed already but I could not find any info on this
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 16:14   #169
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
If I get a new wifi capable plotter and wifi radar , can the XB-8000 be connected to the plotter through wifi as well ? or do I need to run NMEA2K cables from the XB8000 to the plotter ? , would be great if I can just install 12 volt to the plotter and connect the XB8000 through wifi
First off... thanks for choosing the XB-8000.

It would certainly be good, but unfortunately I don't believe that Ray or the others provide for this. The XB-8000 can join any WiFi network and deliver the data stream but it requires the other side to accept it this way.

So, yes the best thing is to connect them via N2K. That way the XB-8000 will also pick up your instrument data (wind, depth, etc) and send that out over WiFi to any app on a mobile/tablet/etc.
Old 20-10-2016, 17:03   #170

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Hi Jeff,

Would the best way to connect the XB-8000 to a PC chartplotter program be with the USB connection, rather than N2K?
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 19:29   #171
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Hi Jeff,

Would the best way to connect the XB-8000 to a PC chartplotter program be with the USB connection, rather than N2K?
You can use either USB or WiFi which is nice because no cables are needed of course. When using USB you have a serial port created on your computer (eg. COM5) and configure your PC software to use that. In the case of WiFi, your PC software needs to be able to connect via TCP to an IP address/port. If you are using openCPN, it works great in both configs.

Either way, if the XB-8000 is also connected to your N2K network (or other 0183 devices) then you'll also get data fed into your PC software (eg. wind, depth, heading, etc) in addition to GPS and AIS.
Old 25-10-2016, 04:15   #172

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jeff I'd be interested in your thoughts about bdbcat's observations. I thought I'd ask Adrian too.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2242522
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 16:34   #173

Jeff,
I think there was a recent (4-Dec ?) upgrade to firmware (which?). I ran the WatchMate on my Android Tablet and it downloaded a firmware upgrade. So is this firmware upgrade for the XB8000 or WatchMate app? If for XB8000, can I upgrade it just by wifi connection with my Android Tablet?
Old 05-12-2016, 17:19   #174
Marine Service Provider

You're right, you're seeing our latest Android or iOS app in action.

It knows you've got an XB-8000 and so when it's on the internet it finds there is an update for your XB-8000, downloads it and holds onto it for you for when you are next on your boat's WiFi network. It will then prompt you to install the update and the app then performs the update for you. No need to manually download or install it with a PC or Mac anymore.

As for Android and iOS app updates themselves, they take care of that via the Play Store and App Store in the usual way.
Old 05-12-2016, 17:35   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
You're right, you're seeing our latest Android or iOS app in action.

It knows you've got an XB-8000 and so when it's on the internet it finds there is an update for your XB-8000, downloads it and holds onto it for you for when you are next on your boat's WiFi network. It will then prompt you to install the update and the app then performs the update for you. No need to manually download or install it with a PC or Mac anymore.

As for Android and iOS app updates themselves, they take care of that via the Play Store and App Store in the usual way.
FANTASTIC !!! Thank you
Old 06-12-2016, 06:14   #176

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Any way to find out what's new in the latest XB-8000 firmware update?

My big interest is re-broadcast of more NMEA 2000 packets, particularly engine data.

Being able to do a firmware update from the Android app is a nice feature, thanks! Still, mine won't do it until it detects the XB-8000, which I'll try when I'm down at the boat later today.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 14:20   #177
Marine Service Provider

We post update info in the announcements section in our support area at https://support.vespermarine.com/

We also email all registered owners with update notifications. If you aren't getting these, please register at https://www.vespermarine.com/register

And Carl wrote a little article about the new app capabilities for doing firmware updates at: https://support.vespermarine.com/hc/...mware-upgrades

We are indeed interested in further extended the NMEA 2000 translations but can be restricted by what NMEA 0183 supports. We'll take a look.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:49   #178
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

WOW.

Thanks just updated my firmware. First thanks for now supporting firmware updates through the iPhone app. The iPhone-device upload was slower but easier. I was able to download the update and install it without using a Windowz machine.

The app and firmware seem to have added some needed functionality including pushing NMEA 20000 sentences to 0183. Now I can see my NMEA2000 heading on my old 0183 plotter.

Could up-converting autopilot sentences from 0183 to 2000 next? That opens a whole door for 0183 products.

Thanks guys---- well done.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:12   #179

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Love the ability to update the XB-8000 firmware from within WatchMate, thanks!!

It looks like the latest XB-8000 firmware, per the Vesper support page, is 3.1.14135, dated August 20. Is this correct? That would explain why I never heard about a December update.

With the boat out of the water for the season, I'm in no hurry. But there always seems to be something new and exciting with the XB-8000 updates.

Vesper should make chartplotters; those manufacturers never seem to care about updating last year's model.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 17:20   #180
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Love the ability to update the XB-8000 firmware from within WatchMate, thanks!!

It looks like the latest XB-8000 firmware, per the Vesper support page, is 3.1.14135, dated August 20. Is this correct? That would explain why I never heard about a December update.

With the boat out of the water for the season, I'm in no hurry. But there always seems to be something new and exciting with the XB-8000 updates.

Vesper should make chartplotters; those manufacturers never seem to care about updating last year's model.

I am 99% sure I did the August one. The iPhone app and it told me to do an update to this newer release.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, ais