Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 12:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Lightbulb Spade Anchor

Spade Anchor is fairly new to CruisersForum.com and would like its members to know that we offer anchors in 316 Polished Stainless Steel. Galvanized Steel, and Aluminum.
Our Anchors fit a boat from under 21 ft 2200 lbs up to 98 ft 330900 lbs. We can custom make larger anchors if needed.
CruisersForum.com receive a 10% discount when they call 321-409-5714 or email the order to Alex@SpadeAnchorUSA.com

https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/about-spade-anchor
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 17:20   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Spade ANchor

Just an observation guys, you're pricing is not very competitive. $1000 for a 55lb anchor means that I can buy 2 Mantus or Rocna anchors for 1 or yours...

not connected with Mantus or Rocna in any way just a quick google search will tell you that your pricing is off.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Just an observation guys, you're pricing is not very competitive. $1000 for a 55lb anchor means that I can buy 2 Mantus or Rocna anchors for 1 or yours...

not connected with Mantus or Rocna in any way just a quick google search will tell you that your pricing is off.
I completely understand.

Our anchor is designed around safety not cost. There are no corners cut in production. The Spade Anchor is the only anchor in the world that was created for safety not profit. Alain Poiraud created the Spade Anchor for his personal use, he wanted a safety device not a product to profit from.

You can sleep on your boat during bad weather with the Spade Anchor. So when you consider the cost of replacing your boat or the savings on hotel/shelter during bad weather, the Spade Anchor saves money in the long run. As your dragging around the harbor, the last thing you want, is to be thinking about how much money you saved on a poor performing anchor.

The Spade Anchor is backed by a lifetime warranty, as one of the oldest anchor companies, that warranty has merit. Spade Anchor also offers a 6 month full satisfaction guarantee. For the first 6 months if your unhappy with the Spade Anchor for any reason Spade Anchor will replace or refund your purchase hassle free.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
I completely understand.

Our anchor is designed around safety not cost. There are no corners cut in production. The Spade Anchor is the only anchor in the world that was created for safety not profit. Alain Poiraud created the Spade Anchor for his personal use, he wanted a safety device not a product to profit from.
I think you could argue the same for both the Rocna and the Mantus. The Mantus was created by a Cruiser for cruisers. I think that for the 100% price premium there needs to be some compelling data about how much better the spade is than the others. I personally like the spade design, ever since it came out as one of the first of the new generation of anchors. I was disappointed in its results in the big westmarine Chesapeake test ( but it was biased to make the "fortress brand" excel)

Not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out the pricing issue that you have.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:46   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

With the strength of the US dollar you would think there would be some price reduction of these imported items.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I think you could argue the same for both the Rocna and the Mantus. The Mantus was created by a Cruiser for cruisers. I think that for the 100% price premium there needs to be some compelling data about how much better the spade is than the others. I personally like the spade design, ever since it came out as one of the first of the new generation of anchors. I was disappointed in its results in the big westmarine Chesapeake test ( but it was biased to make the "fortress brand" excel)

Not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out the pricing issue that you have.
Unlike some companies we do not pay for testing results. Below are some links to independent testing. Some testing results from competitors as well. We are the best anchor in the world and the feedback from testing and customers confirm it.
Most things in life come at a premium. If 100-500 eurs/usd will save $100,000++++ then its easy math. Why risk a hundred thousand dollar plus yacht, with a discounted anchor? Your sailing on a major investment and want to leave the safety up to what was on sale? Did you buy the cheapest boat on the market? I bet not. You did your research and bought the best you could. Why not do the same with your ground tackle and protect your investment?

https://www.morganscloud.com/2015/03...-right-anchor/

http://www.rocna.com/sites/default/f...ym_testing.pdf

New Generation Anchors: Explained and Compared

Testing the new generation of anchors

http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/Ancho...st%20Nov09.pdf

http://content.westmarine.com/docume...chor-Tests.pdf

Why I Love My Spade Anchor!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html
Old 24-01-2016, 15:30   #7

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I used a 20kg (44#) Spade anchor while in the Med; it was the original forged one. And boy did it set and hold! I loved it. I lost it in Croatia and was very unhappy (no fault of the anchor). I replaced it in France with a new one for about $1000 (VAT is a bitch). I continued to like its performance, and still have it today. That said, the newer design has a hollow welded shank and formed sheet steel palm. While I have had no problem with mine, I believe it will not be as robust as the forged model if it ever gets caught in rock or coral. If the design change was meant to save manufacturing costs it would have been nice to see that reflected in the price.

As others have stated, there is a lot of good competition out there for less than half the price of the Spade. If it were still the original forged design then a substantial premium price would be well justified, but as it is the copies look stronger in the shank than the model of Spade that I own now. I prefer to do business with the original designer of a product, and not those who copy, but at 2:1 price differential and current shank design that would be difficult for me.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
That said, the newer design has a hollow welded shank and formed sheet steel palm. While I have had no problem with mine, I believe it will not be as robust as the forged model if it ever gets caught in rock or coral. If the design change was meant to save manufacturing costs it would have been nice to see that reflected in the price.

As others have stated, there is a lot of good competition out there for less than half the price of the Spade. If it were still the original forged design then a substantial premium price would be well justified, but as it is the copies look stronger in the shank than the model of Spade that I own now. I prefer to do business with the original designer of a product, and not those who copy, but at 2:1 price differential and current shank design that would be difficult for me.

Greg
The Shank has always been a 3 piece design welded together for the 80 models and higher. The 3 piece design is considerably stronger then one piece of metal. Its the same design used in high rise construction. The 3 piece design will bend before it breaks, a single piece will snap when it breaks . Its the same theory behind BBB chain. The simplest analogy that I can think of, is take one stick bend it, then take 3 sticks and bend them, what is stronger?

I am not really sure what you mean by "formed steel palm" all of our steel is 316 marine grade. So its all been forged.

Why buy a copy that is inferior? Our anchors are not at 2:1 price difference when compared to anchors that actually perform at a high level. Would you buy a Toyota Corolla to race a Lamborghini?
Old 27-01-2016, 06:20   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

A quick question. A friend has a spade he had regalvanized. After galvanising he said it did t work anymore and continually dragged. He also weighed it and noticed its considerably lighter. What are his options for having it fixed? I assume the lead from the tip has melted and disappeared.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
A quick question. A friend has a spade he had regalvanized. After galvanising he said it did t work anymore and continually dragged. He also weighed it and noticed its considerably lighter. What are his options for having it fixed? I assume the lead from the tip has melted and disappeared.
Pretty obvious. Pour the lead back into the tip. Not sure how they could not know this at the galvanizing plant.
Old 27-01-2016, 06:26   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok I haven't seen the anchor, is the whole tip hollow to allow for easy pouring? He did mention filling it with cement but melting some lead seems like the obvious choice
Old 27-01-2016, 06:30   #12

Quote:
Ok I haven't seen the anchor, is the whole tip hollow to allow for easy pouring? He did mention filling it with cement but melting some lead seems like the obvious choice
Yes, there is an open pocket where lead can be poured in. Cemet will just ruin the anchor. The weight keeps the tip down and driving into the bottom, without it the anchor can land in any orientation.
Old 27-01-2016, 07:06   #13
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Spade Anchor

So I guess the shape is like a pyramid. What stops the lead from falling out? Friction or is there a mechanical bond inside, or the lip protrudes somehow?
Old 27-01-2016, 07:43   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So I guess the shape is like a pyramid. What stops the lead from falling out? Friction or is there a mechanical bond inside, or the lip protrudes somehow?
There is a protrusion that once the lead is melted and poured in stops it from ever coming out. Lead is the only material that will perform for decades, if cement or any other material is used it will not perform or last as expected.

This is a common issue when using Hot Galvanization to refurbish a Spade Anchor. We have a "cold" kit that does not void the warranty and we give it free to Spade Anchor owners as part of the Lifetime Warranty. Its a simple process that only requires about 2 hours of labor.

If you can send me some pictures or if the owner of the Spade Anchor your referring to knows the model number or some details, I can help with getting his anchor back to performing up to par.
Old 27-01-2016, 07:47   #15
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheers. It sounds like a beach fire, saucepan and a bag of fishing sinkers could be a quick fix then. I'll let him know your offer regarding the fix as well.

Tags
anchor