Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 08:18   #1

Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

I just received and installed a new Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor after the first was deemed defective by someone on their 1-800 support line whose knowledge I deeply question. I know they run scripts and do not employ a room full of electrical engineers, of course.

My suspicion is that I have done something wrong both times, but I cannot figure out what it may be. I am not any sort of electrical genius, but I do all my own work, I can keep runs clean and make good connections. I would be that guy who is at the "competent" end of the "regular guy" spectrum.

I have two batteries in my main house bank and one cranking battery. The monitor tells me that it is getting 13.08v between either the brown-and-grey wires or the grey-and-white wires, but the monitor has NO DISPLAY. No flashing, per the instruction manual.

I have checked and rechecked the fuses and the wiring diagram. I did discover that I had to (I think!) move my main negative line that feeds my 12v bus to the system side of the shunt, which I had not realized on the first monitor and attempt, where it still fed to the bus straight from the battery. But alas, still no display after that relo.

I am hopeful that some wise soul may be able to help me out. I don't really want to play swap-a-monitor with Hodges Marine again. I am attaching a link to the installation and wiring guide PDFs.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Acc...-01_rev-B).pdf

Thank you all in advance.
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 09:22   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Xantrex LinkLite Installation Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hood View Post
I just received and installed a new Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor after the first was deemed defective by someone on their 1-800 support line whose knowledge I deeply question. I know they run scripts and do not employ a room full of electrical engineers, of course.

My suspicion is that I have done something wrong both times, but I cannot figure out what it may be. I am not any sort of electrical genius, but I do all my own work, I can keep runs clean and make good connections. I would be that guy who is at the "competent" end of the "regular guy" spectrum.

I have two batteries in my main house bank and one cranking battery. The monitor tells me that it is getting 13.08v between either the brown-and-grey wires or the grey-and-white wires, but the monitor has NO DISPLAY. No flashing, per the instruction manual.

I have checked and rechecked the fuses and the wiring diagram. I did discover that I had to (I think!) move my main negative line that feeds my 12v bus to the system side of the shunt, which I had not realized on the first monitor and attempt, where it still fed to the bus straight from the battery. But alas, still no display after that relo.

I am hopeful that some wise soul may be able to help me out. I don't really want to play swap-a-monitor with Hodges Marine again. I am attaching a link to the installation and wiring guide PDFs.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Acc...-01_rev-B).pdf

Thank you all in advance.
I would double check that I put the right wires in to the terminal strip on the back of the monitor/display unit. For the meter to turn on all it really needs is battery positive and negative. I would put my voltmeter on the wires coming from battery and fuses at the end that goes in to the meter. There are two positives and one negative. Check for 12v on both positives to the negative. One of the positives should be the "power" side and the other should be the voltage sensor side. But they should read the same with your meter. Other than that it would seem to be the either the meter or the cable. If you get voltage at the correct wires at the end of the cables that go in to the meter, then you have isolated the problem to the meter.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 10:52   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
I just received and installed a new Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor after the first was deemed defective by someone on their 1-800 support line...
The monitor tells me that it is getting 13.08v between either the brown-and-grey wires or the grey-and-white wires, but the monitor has NO DISPLAY. No flashing, per the instruction manual.

I have checked and rechecked the fuses and the wiring diagram. I did discover that I had to (I think!) move my main negative line that feeds my 12v bus to the system side of the shunt, which I had not realized on the first monitor and attempt, where it still fed to the bus straight from the battery. ...
1--A man has to know his limitations. If you've already blown up 2 brand new meters, STOP! And hire someone competent and experienced to install the next one.

2--The manufacturer is your source for installation manual and technical help. And you will need them again to continue to supply you with replacement meters if you ignore #1. So write to them, email them and call them back, asking to speak with technical support.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 12:27   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

At the risk of insult, are you sure the polarity of the battery connections are correct?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 13:14   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Could be installer error, but Xantrex of the last decade is nothing close to quailty that it once was. I wont put their products in my boat. had too many issues with their chargers and battery monitors. I now use the Victron BMV-700 units much better products and much easier to install.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 13:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Could be installer error, but Xantrex of the last decade is nothing close to quailty that it once was. I wont put their products in my boat. had too many issues with their chargers and battery monitors. I now use the Victron BMV-700 units much better products and much easier to install.
Good point.

If you can return the Xantrex, get a Victron. A BVM 600 would do it for you.

Like this:

How to Wire a Battery Monitor by Maine Sail: Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 18:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
1--A man has to know his limitations. If you've already blown up 2 brand new meters, STOP! And hire someone competent and experienced to install the next one.

2--The manufacturer is your source for installation manual and technical help. And you will need them again to continue to supply you with replacement meters if you ignore #1. So write to them, email them and call them back, asking to speak with technical support.
Goodness.

(A) I am competent, which is why (B) I have a professional coming tomorrow to check my install, and (C) I have reached out to the manufacturer for technical assistance but (D) they are unavailable until Monday. So, as a man secure enough to know that I can learn from others I thought I might (E) inquire to see if anyone happened to have firsthand experience with this model and this problem.

In absence of you having the specific experience that might benefit me, I will just thank you for the advice
Old 17-10-2015, 18:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
We'll see where we end up. If Xantrex and I end up failing, I will look into the Victron. Thanks!
Old 17-10-2015, 18:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
At the risk of insult, are you sure the polarity of the battery connections are correct?
Not insulting at all. I have checked and re-checked and am quite confident of the polarity. I am also confident that the unit is not "blown," and also confident that I have probably failed to do something correctly. It is ultimately a logic puzzle, and I will figure it out.
Old 17-10-2015, 18:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I would double check that I put the right wires in to the terminal strip on the back of the monitor/display unit. For the meter to turn on all it really needs is battery positive and negative. I would put my voltmeter on the wires coming from battery and fuses at the end that goes in to the meter. There are two positives and one negative. Check for 12v on both positives to the negative. One of the positives should be the "power" side and the other should be the voltage sensor side. But they should read the same with your meter. Other than that it would seem to be the either the meter or the cable. If you get voltage at the correct wires at the end of the cables that go in to the meter, then you have isolated the problem to the meter.
All excellent advice. The wiring is good, all is in the correct inputs in the back of the monitor. I got 13.08v on my meter at the batteries, from the in-line fuses, and from each of the two positives to the negative at the monitor. The phone support tech ran me through a number of checks, and he was as puzzled as I am.

Again, I am humble enough to know there is probably some very-small error on my part preventing success. Thanks for the help. I'll eventually get it.
Old 17-10-2015, 18:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
All excellent advice. The wiring is good, all is in the correct inputs in the back of the monitor. I got 13.08v on my meter at the batteries, from the in-line fuses, and from each of the two positives to the negative at the monitor. The phone support tech ran me through a number of checks, and he was as puzzled as I am.

Again, I am humble enough to know there is probably some very-small error on my part preventing success. Thanks for the help. I'll eventually get it.
On the back of the Link-Lite touch your DVM leads to the + terminal screw and the - terminal screw. If you read battery voltage this is good. If not investigate.

Now test for voltage using the VM (voltage main bank) screw and the - screw. If you have voltage here and at + & - then the display should power up..
Old 17-10-2015, 18:59   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...I have a professional coming tomorrow to check my install, and (C) I have reached out to the manufacturer for technical assistance but (D) they are unavailable until Monday...
Good that you saw the light. But why the rush? Your boat has been just fine without a meter for 48 years.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Good that you saw the light. But why the rush? Your boat has been just fine without a meter for 48 years.
I don't happen to think the light ever evaded me; I do accept that you seem to think it did, and that's fine.

There is not rush at all, and if I set sail south without the new meter the old gal won't know the difference. The pro is dropping by tomorrow because he's a friend of mine and agreed to come take a look.
Old 17-10-2015, 19:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
On the back of the Link-Lite touch your DVM leads to the + terminal screw and the - terminal screw. If you read battery voltage this is good. If not investigate.

Now test for voltage using the VM (voltage main bank) screw and the - screw. If you have voltage here and at + & - then the display should power up..
I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks for the input!
Old 17-10-2015, 19:20   #15

Boat: Roberts 53, Love of Gaia

I would suggest systematic fault diagnosis. The first step is to connect the power to the unit. No other connections. They should light up. If not, it is unequivocably a fault in the unit. Make sure to have the power supplied fused to avoid blowing your power cables!

If the unit is working the displays may show rubbish since there are no sensor signals, but you should be able to enter the configuration menu and set the various parameters. You may also get an alarm going off, if the unit thinks your batteries are under voltage.

Once you are sure the unit is functioning you can connect the voltage sensors for each bank, and the amperage sensor on the shunt (which of course is actually a voltage sensor).

I have a pair of e-xpert lite units which look exactly the same as a Xantrex and I think are a cheap copy thereof (or the same unit rebranded). They've both been working flawlessly for 7 years.
yttrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation