Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 14:16   #16

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Wing nut stuck on battery terminal

I think a64pilot is referring to a nut splitter, which uses a screw action to drive a wedge against the side of the nut; as soon as the nut starts to split it becomes loose. No sparks will be created. You do have to hold the splitter to prevent torque from breaking the whole thing off the battery.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 14:24   #17

Boat: Gemini 3000

I vote PB Blaster as best at loosening siezed parts but try not to get it on your hands or you will be tasting it for a week everytime you get your hands near your nose, be very careful using open flame, power of hydrogen gas can not be understated particularly in enclosed environs, I also put a tiny dab of NeverSieze on steel threads of lug when going back together, another great "better living through chemistry" item but it also has exceptional "trackability".
You will find it everywhere if you get sloppy with it, on the dog, turtles swimming by, on the moon etc.
Kayoko Monk 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 15:32   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This thing
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-nut-c...p-00904772000P
Sears calls it a "Nut Cracker" apparently, us Rednecks down south call them nut busters, but whatever if you have an excessively corroded nut, it's about the only way to get it off, even using a "smoke wrench" doesn't always work, but the nut spitter, buster or whatever does.
Smoke wrench is an acetylene torch if anyone was wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:52   #19

Whenever a fastener is stuck in place. Soak with penetrating oil then try actually tightening it a little, then loosen. If you get any movement at all just keep repeating this method, tighten then loosen. It should eventually come off. The risk of just getting a bigger set of vise grips is that you can possibly turn the battery post itself, causing an acid leak where it goes into the batter case.
billhill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 19:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement. It's designed to displace water in flooded electrical equipment. It has very little lube quality. It got it's start after a hurricane in Texas.
There are a number of products designed to penetrate stuck threads. Any of them will do a better job than WD-40.
But I go with a64pilot... A nut buster works every time.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 19:58   #21

Boat: PDQ 44i

Don't put another wing nut on when you repair this circuit. Wing nuts no longer comply with ABYC standards.
see No wing nuts on batteries!
Best of luck.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 20:12   #22

Hydrogen gas got a bad rap with the Hindenburg. Hydrogen burns colorless. It was the flammable fabric dope that actually caught fire. I'd be much more worried about propane and other heavy gases in your bilge, and possibly the propellant in the PB Blaster or WD40. Hydrogen is light, and finds its way up and out fairly quickly.

Stop charging, ventilate, and go to work on it.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 22:42   #23
Marine Service Provider

pirate Re: Wing nut stuck on battery terminal

A nut buster will not work on Stainless Steel, just as it won't work on any copper alloys.
You will find yourself in a worse position after trying.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This thing
Sears.com
Sears calls it a "Nut Cracker" apparently, us Rednecks down south call them nut busters, but whatever if you have an excessively corroded nut, it's about the only way to get it off, even using a "smoke wrench" doesn't always work, but the nut spitter, buster or whatever does.
Smoke wrench is an acetylene torch if anyone was wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 03:40   #24

Boat: Beneteau 343

I appreciate all the replies. My situation is that the post's connection to the battery has been compromised due to too much man-handling, even after lube attempts. I wasn't that in love with the battery anyway as it is many years old and I almost considered replacing it before I crossed the GOM a few months ago. I can get it out of its compartment but not very far as I don't want to mess with battery cable; I will be going medieval on it with my dremel's grinding wheel and then buying a new one.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 03:50   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement. It's designed to displace water in flooded electrical equipment ...
FWIW:

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40® to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion.

A few years following WD-40®'s first industrial use, Rocket Chemical Company founder Norm Larsen experimented with putting WD-40® into aerosol cans, reasoning that consumers might find a use for the product at home as some of the employees had. The product made its first appearance on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.

In 1961 the first full truckload order for WD-40® was filled when employees came in on a Saturday to produce additional concentrate to meet the disaster needs of the victims of Hurricane Carla along the U.S. Gulf coast. WD-40® was used to recondition flood and rain damaged vehicles and equipment.

WD-40 History | History and Timeline of WD-40 Company

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:31   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
A nut buster will not work on Stainless Steel, just as it won't work on any copper alloys.

Lloyd

I didn't know that, I assume the SS is just too soft, so it crushes as opposed to cracking?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 05:17   #27

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post

Lloyd

I wish I knew this before I recently successfully removed a SS nut using a nut buster.

Worked a charm - why wouldn't it?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery