Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 08:28   #31

Re: Which Honda Generator?

Ran an entire Blues Band including lights at an outdoor night time show where there was no power on a Honda 2000. No glitches. I dont know if it was screaming or not, but between songs you couldnt even tell it was on.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 08:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I would chose a Honda over the Yamaha and here is why.
The Yamaha has problems starting larger motors, where the Honda does it no problem.

We have seen 6 different Yamana 2000 generators that could not start our 1.0Hp motor on our water makers. While we have hundreds of Honda 2000 generators running the same motor. After hours and hours and hours trying to pry answers out of the Yamaha tech support, the end results was that the Yahama electronics either see's the motor starting capacitor as a dead short and cuts power or it can't handle the start-up draw of a 1.0Hp motor either reason if enough for me to buy the Honda over the Yamaha.

Maybe for that specific use, but for an all around unit, the Yamaha works very well.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 08:50   #33

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Which Honda Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Ran an entire Blues Band including lights at an outdoor night time show where there was no power on a Honda 2000. No glitches. I dont know if it was screaming or not, but between songs you couldnt even tell it was on.
I could. I was there that night and heard the screaming, but assumed you had AC/DC playing with you. It was a dark and smoky night.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 09:04   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I could. I was there that night and heard the screaming, but assumed you had AC/DC playing with you. It was a dark and smoky night.
The screaming you heard were the groupies....

Old 27-03-2014, 15:19   #35

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I guess if there was room, you guys would have retro-fitted a shut off from tank.
no, no fuel shut off needed. years of experience have shown me that when i need to charge the batteries with the honda (not enough solar) it needs a couple of hours run time. one quart of gas does the job.

that usually brings the batteries up to maybe 90% to 95% soc which is about as much as i can hope for....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 13:51   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 50

For what it's worth, I bought the Briggs & Stratton 2000 watt about 4 years ago. Not that I didn't want the Honda but the Briggs was $500 at Sears with a warranty. I don't remember all the details but I think it'll handle a spike of 2400 watts then 2200 continuous?

At any rate it will run a 5000 btu AC, our battery charger, phones&computers, and other odds and ends with no prob. I have to start the AC on fan then bring it up. But it works. The unit is slightly louder and bigger than the Honda. Ours has been used heavily since we bought it, all on the aft deck, and it still starts on the first pull everytime.

I use a cord adapter to plug the 30amp boat cord right in to one of its 120v outlets and it runs the whole boat. No complaints. I bought it in a pinch as a disposable generator and it just keeps on going. Left it out in the rain numerous times and haven't babied it by any means. It just takes the abuse. 3/4 gallon tank will run about 6 to 8 hours at near full RPM.

Anyway, if someone was looking for a budget-minded genny the Briggs is a great choice.
Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 15:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Totally disagree here with you we have to owned several gennys and the honda is awesome. It would power up to a 12k btu ac system, more w smart start capacitor and still run 5-6 hours on one gallon of gas. A 40 amp 3 bank charger only draws 5-7 amps of 110 so yes it runs those too even larger chargers are fine on the honda. A 50 amp charger does not need 50 amps of ac its providing up to 50 amps dc .
And yes we ran ours dry all the time an interest and have never had a carb issue.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
My ac system is a 15K BTU, and my charger is a 75 amp that draws about 18 amps @ 110v. Like I said, I don't have anything that a Honda 2000 will run. A friend of mine did get his 13.5K BTU ac started after he installed the hard start caps, but the poor generator was running so hard it sounded like it was going to blow up at any moment. It was much louder than anyone liked, so he bought a 3000 and linked them up. He can leave them both in eco mode and they will easily start and run his ac and other random loads.

I did have a 3000 with remote start that I loved, it ran my ac or my charger, but it got stolen last Easter.

The problem with running an engine until the carb runs dry isn't with the carb, the carb stores better empty. The problem is with running an engine lean just before it shuts off. It won't kill an engine right away, but it's not the best thing to do to it if you want the longest life from the engine. The Eu2000 is advertised at 4 hrs on one tank at rated load, a 12.5 or 13K BTU ac would be at rated load. Not exactly 5 hrs, definitely not 6 hrs.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 15:58   #38

Yeah... they ain't your daddy's Briggs and Stratton anymore! I've got a riding mower with a 20hp briggs that is 12 years old. I mow almost 1.5 rough acres with it. Still going strong.

Old 01-04-2014, 18:14   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If you are worried about run time get an external tank and Amazon.com: EXTENDED RUN FUEL GAS CAP FITS HONDA Eu2000i GENERATOR: Patio, Lawn & Garden .

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 19:22   #40

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Actually socaldmax on our prior two cats the ac compressor would not have to be engaged the entire time so the running load varied. Its 4.7 hours rated and more than double that at 1/4 load so yes 5+ to over 6 hours of use with a 12k btu ac w smart start still annoying because if we started it at 10pm it ran out about 4 am. but thanks for believing you know our experience from us actually using them for over 2000 hours over the last 6 years in multiple business, agricultural and recreational applications .........

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 19:57   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Actually socaldmax on our prior two cats the ac compressor would not have to be engaged the entire time so the running load varied. Its 4.7 hours rated and more than double that at 1/4 load so yes 5+ to over 6 hours of use with a 12k btu ac w smart start still annoying because if we started it at 10pm it ran out about 4 am. but thanks for believing you know our experience from us actually using them for over 2000 hours over the last 6 years in multiple business, agricultural and recreational applications .........

I never said anything about your experience. I merely, clearly stated the advertised running time, straight from the Honda website. I do recall in a previous post, you tried to tell me what my electrical loads were.

Engine Honda GX100
Displacement 98.5cc
AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex
DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
Starting System Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity .95 gal
Run Time per Tankful 4hrs. @ rated load, 9.6 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H) 20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7"
Noise Level 59 dB(A) @ rated load 53dB(A) @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 46.3 lbs.
Residential Warranty 3 Years
Commercial Warranty 3 Years

I do agree, if you're not drawing full load continuously, then the tank will last a bit longer. They make a lot more racket at full load, none of my friends or myself liked hearing them running like that. It wasn't just louder, it was a straining at redline type of sound that grated on our nerves rather quickly.

Several ways to solve the running out of gas at 4am issue. Either install the external siphon gas cap hooked to an outboard tank, or parallel 2 of them, which drastically cuts engine rpm and noise, or switch over to an Eu3000 which will run for 20 hrs @1/4 load, realistically probably 12 or 14 hrs with a small ac.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:41   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
... They make a lot more racket at full load, none of my friends or myself liked hearing them running like that. It wasn't just louder, it was a straining at redline type of sound that grated on our nerves rather quickly...
Doesn't bother me one iota up in the V berth chillin' in the cool dry conditioned air, 46' away. The gen is back on the sugar scoop under the double AirXes. It's almost a megaphone effect toward the rest of the anchorage!

I sleep a blissfully unconcerned sleep, exhausted in the afterglow of cheap, casual coitus with the slender, gorgeously fit deck candy of the day.

It's a hard-knock life.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:07   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

[QUOTE=Blue Crab;1507579]Doesn't bother me one iota up in the V berth chillin' in the cool dry conditioned air, 46' away. The gen is back on the sugar scoop under the double AirXes. It's almost a megaphone effect toward the rest of the anchorage!

I sleep a blissfully unconcerned sleep, exhausted in the afterglow of cheap, casual coitus with the slender, gorgeously fit deck candy of the day.

It's a hard-knock life.[/QUOTE

Your hilarious, trying to stir things up by hitting ALL the offensive buttons but you left race and religion out, you can really get em stirred up with those, oh and guns too, don't forget guns
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:27   #44

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Wow. The only thing I found offensive was that he didnt say "two" deck hands....I mean if you have choices go big !!!

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:17   #45

If yer goin' big, why stop at two?

Disclaimer: While this is a global forum, these are most assuredly American women. It's how we roll.

And waddle. Needless to add, animals were slaughtered to produce this effect.

Sweetdreams Cap!

Tags
generator, honda