Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 12:07   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Where to put gas generator when in use

Just google Honda exhaust & you'll get more stuff than you can count. If you can think of something to do to one of these Hondas somebody has already done it & it's for sale online. I think that the amount of people using these for RVs dwarfs the people using them on boats & they have proven to be pretty safe as long as you use your head.

https://www.ebay.com/i/131696163083?chn=ps
https://www.ebay.com/i/141867143981?chn=ps
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/474777985690773154/
https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...=1541706894942
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:57   #17

Boat: Hanse 348

Scout, thanks for the links.

Yes, it seems the RV world centers on this model;-)

I have looked at installing a nextgen 5kw (30A/120V). It is about 6-7k cost, and probably 3-5k? install. I might use it 100hrs a year max. Probably closer to 50. I had originally thought about a generator until I put 600W of solar on the boat, with 420Ah of batteries. During the summer, assuming I can get 4 to 5 sunny days a week, this recharges, so the need for a genset has dropped dramatically. My thought then was to use the Honda for running an AC unit. Further, I don't even need the ac to freeze the boat, I would be happy when on the nights the dew point hits 68+ to just take out the humidity. If I got the temp (inside) to 73, but pulled out the humidity, it would be great.

If I had the boat in FL say, then maybe a genset makes more sense as I would probably want the AC running all night long. I don't the dewpoint ever drops below low 70s for 4 straight months there...
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 13:12   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I started out with Honda’s, two of them. Sold them and installed a Nexgen 3.5 built in, now I have bought another Honda partially as a spare and partially to reduce the number of hours I run the Nexgen.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 14:06   #19

Boat: Riva 48

If I had a gas generator, I would mount it semi permanently on the transom and feed the exhaust in the water. The risk at that point is minimal.

If it takes too much space, I would consider an even smaller, 700W unit which would be sufficient for a small AC or charging, it is so cheap at $250 for an inverter generator that you may consider it a seasonal expense.

If cooling is your primary use, I would also consider a dehumidifier. I recently found an 11 pint/day, compressor unit on Amazon that is less than 200W (draws about 15A from my 12VDC system through the inverter) and very quiet. You can manage such a load through your batteries/solar. It is not small but manageable. I will find the part number next time I am on the boat.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 14:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
If I had a gas generator, I would mount it semi permanently on the transom and feed the exhaust in the water. The risk at that point is minimal.

If it takes too much space, I would consider an even smaller, 700W unit which would be sufficient for a small AC or charging, it is so cheap at $250 for an inverter generator that you may consider it a seasonal expense.

If cooling is your primary use, I would also consider a dehumidifier. I recently found an 11 pint/day, compressor unit on Amazon that is less than 200W (draws about 15A from my 12VDC system through the inverter) and very quiet. You can manage such a load through your batteries/solar. It is not small but manageable. I will find the part number next time I am on the boat.

SV Pizzazz
I think this is an interesting idea but wouldn't the exhaust just bubble up out of the water. One thing about the Honda is that it really shoots the exhaust away from itself but this would result in the CO being emitted very close to the hull. I was thinking that, because CO is slightly lighter than air & because it is being mixed with hot air, having the exhaust emitted as high as possible would be the safest idea. I also think that shooting it away from the transom where a vacuum can develop makes sense.

I have read that refilling portable generators when they are hot is very dangerous. Although the Honda is designed to direct spills away from the motor it would be safer to get the external tank set up. I keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case.
Old 08-11-2018, 14:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Not as much as yours IMO.

He is expressing a valid opinion, just a bit too tersely.

Used to be expressed a lot more here, that these units have no place at all on most boats, that they are just too dangerous, if you need a genset then spend the money on a properly safe one integrated into the design of perhaps a larger boat.

Many people feel the same about gasoline in general, or propane.

Just because so many people hold the opposing view, does not mean it is correct, and

certainly not that it is not valid to express one's opposition.
If you disagree with having gas powered gennys on a boat, speak to the dangers of carrying gasoline which a flame can ignite (vs diesel), speak to how much quieter, convenient, and efficient a fixed unit would be. Speak to the benefits of being an energy miser vs consumer. Speak with facts. This would give people something to think about and perhaps spark discussion. That's why we're all here... to share information, learn, and hopefully have fun doing it.

I strongly disagree with the notion that a binary opinion without context or additional information is of value on these boards. I've tried to learn about all-electric motor power and in-boom furling and it's silly the number of posts that solely consist of "doesn't work and shouldn't be on a boat."

Personally, I think the Honda in particular is remarkable for the power it can provide so quietly, reliably, and relatively safely. Let's be honest... the majority of boat owners are NOT wealthy "money is no object" sailors, but scrappy problem solvers so solutions like a gas genny are intriguing. The majority of cruisers ARE carrying gasoline for their dinghies so the fire risk is already there to some degree. I've seen the Honda 2000i hooked up in series so you have modular 2kw or 4kw power if needed. That's some serious power in a small package that checks a lot of boxes for people.

One last thing for OP, at Burning Man, we used dryer ducting with a usb powered fan at the end to suck exhaust via negative pressure... it could be an interesting idea really get the exhaust further from where you are using the unit.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 14:37   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The little Honda’s fuel tank extends to below the level of the carburetor, as it can’t use gravity to feed the carb, it has a fuel pump.
Because it has a fuel pump all you need to use your dinghy fuel tank as an extended run tank is either modify your cap with a fuel fitting to attach a hose to, or buy one made for the purpose.
I modified mine, but later realized that buying one would have been smarter, the stock Honda cap has a valve that you can turn off the fuel vent.

Anyway as the fuel is used in the stock tank, it forms a vacuum and pulls fuel into it from the dinghy fuel tank, in my unofficial testing it would pull fuel up about two feet if you started with a completely full internal tank
Old 08-11-2018, 14:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks. https://www.ebay.com/i/131698993133?...3D131698993133

I am not sure about why this would not mitigate the CO (not CO2, worried about carbon monoxide, not dioxide) issue. It is on the stern, into the wind, and now all the emissions will be directed into the water with this ?
Well the CO will just bubble up to the surface. All you'd really gain is to have moved the emission point further away by the length of the exhaust extension.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 15:04   #24

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A hose will also increase back pressure, especially if it’s under water, then how do you attach it so it’s easily removable for storage?
Due to temps, I’d think it would have to be a metal tube, not a hose.
Farther down the link there were silicon ones
Old 08-11-2018, 15:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Well the CO will just bubble up to the surface. All you'd really gain is to have moved the emission point further away by the length of the exhaust extension.
Well I learned something today. I assumed CO was heavier than air and that detectors should be placed low for this reason. Upon reading, it appears CO has a molar mass of 28.0, and air has an average molar mass of 28.8. The difference is so slight that CO is found to evenly distribute itself indoors.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 15:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I think it's worse than that. You can stand more than 10' from a Honda & feel the exhaust hitting you. If pointed to the side that should get the exhaust well away from the boat & into the breeze. If you send it straight down into the water it will dissipate right next to the boat. If it's behind the dodger/cabin/transom & there is a vacuum it could conceivably suck the CO into the cockpit.
Old 08-11-2018, 16:36   #27
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

CO can certainly be a problem. I have a lot of customers with these units and properly storing these EU2000's is a practice rarely done with the consideration of gas fumes in areas that are not ignition protected.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 17:03   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where to put gas generator when in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
CO can certainly be a problem. I have a lot of customers with these units and properly storing these EU2000's is a practice rarely done with the consideration of gas fumes in areas that are not ignition protected.

I leave mine in the cockpit, it lives under a cover and just in front of the binnacle.
However the fuel is turned off with the kill switch, the carburetor is very easily drained, and the fuel cap has a closing vent as well.
It shouldn’t be anymore of a fuel vapor risk than a gas can, I know, I won’t store one of those below either.
The little Honda generator is also easy to remove all fuel, which is what I would do if it were going below.
It’s not just generators, I see outboards in lazarettes as well.
Old 08-11-2018, 17:05   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Farther down the link there were silicon ones

I’m not sure silicone can handle exhaust temps, which can run over 1000F.
Old 08-11-2018, 17:24   #30

I'll speak up for the other people in the anchorage. Those portable generators may be inexpensive and convenient for you, but they are a real nuisance for the rest of us in the anchorage who have to listen to them drone on. And now you are talking about running it all night long? It's very inconsiderate of the other people around you.

Tags
generator