Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 18:36   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Split Batteries Question

Due to our pen neighbor wiping out our stern and solar panels, we had new panels and controller installed under insurance.

A few months after this, when I had been away from the boat for a couple of weeks I came back to find both House Bank batteries (Lead Acid) both split in multiple places.

The cowboy installer had left our old solar controller connected to the batteries (not to the new solar array though) - It looks like it eventually shorted out and fried the batteries.

My question is: how damaging is the acid from the batteries to the fiberglass of the boat - There are areas that are not accessible where it could have got into?

Thanks In Advance for any answers
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 20:34   #2

Re: Split Batteries Question

This is why every battery goes in a battery box.

Use baking soda to clean up the mess

Leaving a controller connected isn't going to hurt it. Sounds like there were over charged. New panels not connected to a controller and straight to battery?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 00:20   #3
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Split Batteries Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
This is why every battery goes in a battery box.

Use baking soda to clean up the mess

Leaving a controller connected isn't going to hurt it. Sounds like there were over charged. New panels not connected to a controller and straight to battery?

New Panels Via New Controller.

Whilst the old controller was connected I got a reading of over 20V - It was like they were in series rather than parallel
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote