Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 07:49   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Recommendations for AC/DC voltmeter purchase

What brand or model would you recommend for general trouble shooting?

From the little I know at this point, investing in a digital clamp-on type
meter makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 07:57   #2

Re: Recommendations for AC/DC voltmeter purchase

For 95%+ of any work a cheapo $10 digital one will do just fine. They will only read up to 10 amps DC, which is not near enough to test starting or charging functions however.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:03   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Sailon1,

In multimeters, Fluke is the 900-pound gorilla, to which everyone else compares .

I'm not sure you would find a clamp-on meter useful unless you intend to maintain a lot of 120V AC stuff. Most clamp-on meters measure only AC amps, so they don't help much with DC issues, which are the most common on boats. [yes, they do make DC clamp-on meters, but they are very spendy and not as useful as they seem]

My personal recommendation is to buy two regular multimeters, one nice one with a couple good sets of leads (including clips along with pointed probes) and a cheap one to loan out when folks find out you have a meter.
If troubleshooting AC stuff (like in your house) is a need, then by all means get a clamp-on.

For the good one, a Fluke 175 or 177 is really nice, they also make smaller ones that are cheaper like the 115/117 - but I have found that the models that don't have a positive clip to the 9v battery powering them tend to be intermittent on the boat. For the cheap one, the $8 one Harbor Freight sells (sometimes free with a coupon) is good - keep both of them in plastic bags.
There are, of course, other good brands besides Fluke - just remember you get what you pay for.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The cheap one to loan out is a good idea, cause I don’t like lending tools, I’ll help, but I don’t like lending tools.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:45   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I love this one and I have three different ones. This is the one I always grab first . . . .
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180614_124321.jpeg
Views:	460
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	171707

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:45   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

While I love my various Fluke meters, I also have this inexpensive meter with the DC current clamp. It tracks the Fluke meters reasonably well on DCV and DCA. I have no problem using it for general work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1Q2HOQ/

Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:08   #7

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
While I love my various Fluke meters, I also have this inexpensive meter with the DC current clamp. It tracks the Fluke meters reasonably well on DCV and DCA. I have no problem using it for general work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1Q2HOQ/

I have one as well I keep in my electronics bag. I have tested it against the really pricey flukes at work (re calibrated regularly), for most things it's close enough to work well. I actually find the DC clamp meter to be fairly useful.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:59   #8

I bought one of these a year ago and I'm quite happy with it.

It's built quite well and has most of the multimeter features I like, including autoranging.

Note that inexpensive clamp-on meters usually only measure AC current. I chose this one because it also measures DC current with its clamp - a 60A range and a 600A range.

(btw, I have like 5 or 6 multimeters around . This one's my "marine" meter)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:35   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I love this one and I have three different ones. This is the one I always grab first . . . .
Attachment 171707
Totally, emphatically agree. Go with a reasonably priced, clamp-on, autoranging meter. Blue Sea Systems sells a nice one, and they are very common on Amazon. If you have to give anything up, I'd give up AC amps, but I would not give up DC amps (with the clamp.)

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:49   #10

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If you're going to spend money on a clamp meter, I'd strongly suggest you get one that measures DC current as well as AC. They cost a little more but since most boats have significant DC circuits, you'll find you're using the DC side of the meter more often than you can imagine right now. I like meters that have a fairly small clamp size since it makes them easier to get into tight wiring bundles, breaker boxes, etc. I like Extech, but they're a little pricey. Here's one from Uni-T that will serve most needs and the price is very reasonable:
https://www.amazon.com/UT210E-Digita...p+dc+amp+meter
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:02   #11

Boat: ODAY 28

I have a fluke meter that I have been using over 30 years, very good tool, in this case you get what you pay for,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:25   #12

Boat: KP 46

Fluke is a good meter, but at $150 for a low end, $550 for a high end they are pricey.

90% of your use will be measuring DC voltage, AC voltage and continuity.

For 20 bucks you can buy a fairly good meter from harbor freight. You can buy two in case you lose one, lend it out or soak it in seawater. For a couple of bucks more you can get an extra set of leads with alligator clips on them that are handy. Yes, they may not be accurate to .00001 volts but that is not what people on boats use meters for.

I keep a couple on board and use them more than my Fluke.

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa met.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	171776  
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:27   #13

I have been in electronics, computers and general electrical support for the past 55 years and probably have used most electrical analysis equipment.

IMO I would purchase a middle range model from FLUKE, they were once a major company in the electrical/electronics test equipment industry. Today they are just a shell of what they once were but so far as I know they still have the quality, performance and features for reliable test and measurement. They still make temperature, vibration, and other equipment that most non-techs probably do not require BUT a basic VOM should be on everyone's vessel.

So why would I spend $100. or more for something that looks similar and is for sale at Harbor Freight or Amazon for $10.

1. The equipment is designed for reliable operation for YEARS not weeks or days so the switches, indicators, and test leads are are good quality.
The failure I have had with every cheap meter I have owned is the liquid crystal display will fail because of the cheap way the liquid crystal glass is connected to the controller. The switches are made for 100 cycles or so and then become iffy. The test lead connectors and test leads are about like the switches. Whatever connects the battery to the controller will erode away.

2. Flukes are very rugged and very weather resistant
3. Flukes meet or exceed OSHA requirements for portable test equipment.

My current FLUKE VOM model 83 is a 1998 model. It has been used 100's of times in every environment that supports animal life and except for a fuse and batteries it has been trouble free, exception was I caught the positive lead in the alternator belt and the test leads had to be replaced. It is ready for testing now.
Buy a good test tool once, be confident that what it indicates is what is there and that when you require it's use it will be ready.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:36   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

For general trouble shooting, if you need to ask the cheapest VOM you can find.
That was not meant to be demeaning. A Fluke is top of the line but the need for one questionable.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:39   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

You need a DC ammeter, not just voltage

Maine Sail has suggested this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B005VUBGZW/

in the past as a cheapie.

Also have heard the Uni-T one is OK.

But Fluke is best if you can afford it, 376FC with the iFlex is handy maybe $250 on eBay
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, purchase