Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 01:25   #16

Re: Powertech MPPT controller - is it working as it should?

Yes we can easily disconnect 1 controller so that only 1 is charging the battery bank and then compare the input current displayed on the controller with the input shown on the battery monitor (adjusted for consumption). Is this what you mean? We will do the test when time allows for monitoring during the next few days.

Do you have any comment on whether its possible for 2 good quality MPPT controllers to charge 1 bank without sensing each others charging volts on the battery and 1 going to float too soon? If we upgrade controllers we have to make decision whether to replace with a single controller or stay with 2 for redundancy/ comparison?
Jill on Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:39   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Regarding the monitoring, is it possible to REALLY isolate the controller so you absolutely can be sure you are sensing only the power the controller is producing? If you are really confident you can do so then great, but my first instinct is to move the sensing shunt so that it sits between the controller and the rest of the boat electrics just to be sure.

Regarding the multiple controllers and float/bulk/absorption, I personally have not done it but plenty of people seem to do so without difficulty. My gut feel says once the battery bank is full enough to trigger either controller to step from bulk to float then it is kind of academic as to whether one source or multiple sources provide the input since they will limit themselves automatically to maintain the right voltage anyway.

I had a different issue with our boat where the very old wind generator regulator was actually draining the battery bank into the dump load and preventing the solar regulator from reaching float mode but thankfully I spotted it straight away because the regulator buzzes very loudly when dumping. The only solution was to switch off the breaker between the wind generator regulator. But this shouldn't be a problem with solar regs as they don't have or need dump loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-12-2016, 01:45   #18

Boat: between boats

Re the testing the unit like i said hand held ampmeter over wire from panel gives you amps in. do same on amps out on the wire to battery. Shows you if the unit is effectively turning volts into extra amps as it should. Gives you an almost real time read on whats happening.

If you see no uplift in amps going out then you can send it back as not fit for purpose. I had this issue with my very first "MPPT" controller off ebay. it was just a pwm controller which i kinda knew but since I could test it i gave it a crack and this test proves it.

I was in the minority returning it which was interesting.

I have the victron unit and the powertech so can compare them. They both seem about the same level of efficiency at least to my basic comparison (i suspect the victron may cope better with moving shade issues but really thats just cos they say it will)

The victron is usually the one going to float too soon but thats cos I cant adjust the volt setting wheres on the powertech as you know you can do it in a jiffy). Nothing to do with the logic as far as i can tell.

When you say the unit is putting out zero amps per the panel is it also in night mode? thats the only time ive had that issue and that was due to an intermittently loose wire from the panels.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:25   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Do you find it takes about five minutes just to sense the voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No, seems to have no problem sensing voltage. Ive just moved on, haven't even got a multimeter yet so haven't done any real checks etc.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:53   #20

[QUOTE from Barra
When you say the unit is putting out zero amps per the panel is it also in night mode? thats the only time ive had that issue and that was due to an intermittently loose wire from the panels.]

The manual is a bit vague. My interpretation is that the night mode symbol, despite its name, is actually displayed whenever the unit is not charging either because there is inadequate sun or because the battery is full. I didn't take note of the symbol displayed when the faulty unit showed zero amps in. I would expect it showed the night mode symbol. Proof of fault was that when we swapped the controllers around (i.e. swapped panels connected) the other controller immediately started in putting at 10 - 15A whereas the faulty one had been showing 0.00A all morning.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:06   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill on Maya View Post

Thanks for suggested alternatives. I will take a closer look at the Victron 100/30. I thought that charging profiles on the Victron could only be done by selecting one of the programmed options rather than entering bulk and float separately. Not so says Mitiempo. And does it have a display? It would seem a retrograde step to have only limited option dip switches and no display on the units.
All Victron MPPT controllers can be adjusted. This can be done with a computer and free software from Victron's site. Or it can be done with Victron's MPPT monitor purchased separately.

If you are living aboard and using current the controller may go into float too soon. The easy solution to this is to turn float off.

Install the shunt between the controller and batteries to monitor exactly what the solar output is.

If you had a good quality brand name controller on one panel the comparison would be interesting.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:36   #22

Boat: halmatic ? 37 ft

hi i looked up jaycar mppt controllers . I do not believe they are mppt the Chinese have a habit of exagerateing no make that outright liying about charge controllers . I suspect you have a pwm controller

Solar Panel -Victron compatible charge controller MPPT 100/50A 100/30(fangpusun)
Solar Panel -Victron compatible charge controller MPPT 100/50A 100/30(fangpusun)
Buy it now price:
£125.00Buy it now
Your offer price: £115.00
Your terms: --
Offer expires: 28-Jul-16 21:41:44 BST
View item | Go to My eBay
this is what i bought and it is what it says it is and works on 600w panels .fangpusun supply victron
soloauditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 17:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloauditor View Post
hi i looked up jaycar mppt controllers . I do not believe they are mppt the Chinese have a habit of exagerateing no make that outright liying about charge controllers . I suspect you have a pwm controller

Buy it now price:
£125.00Buy it now
Your offer price: £115.00
Your terms: --
Offer expires: 28-Jul-16 21:41:44 BST
View item | Go to My eBay
this is what i bought and it is what it says it is and works on 600w panels .fangpusun supply victron
I love it. You dont have one but happy to write it off all the same. Please read my posts. It is an MPPT controller. I have tested it per my posts above as well a a "real fake" chinese MPPT that i did send back for a full refund.

Frankly these kind of posts smack of the way my folks used to write off anything from japan as inferior back in the day.

Also ive been in the position to compare it to the victron 15 A controller on my other smaller array. There is no noticable difference in real time efficiency. I like the victron less because it has no display and you need a laptop to adjust it.
Old 02-12-2016, 17:16   #24

Quote:
[QUOTE from Barra
When you say the unit is putting out zero amps per the panel is it also in night mode? thats the only time ive had that issue and that was due to an intermittently loose wire from the panels.]

The manual is a bit vague. My interpretation is that the night mode symbol, despite its name, is actually displayed whenever the unit is not charging either because there is inadequate sun or because the battery is full. I didn't take note of the symbol displayed when the faulty unit showed zero amps in. I would expect it showed the night mode symbol. Proof of fault was that when we swapped the controllers around (i.e. swapped panels connected) the other controller immediately started in putting at 10 - 15A whereas the faulty one had been showing 0.00A all morning.
From memory the night mode shows when there is less than 0.5 amp current from the panels only. If batteries are full but there is current i think it shows day mode still from memory. So if its showing night when theres full sun then there is either a problem with the unit or there is a problem with the wiring from the panels to the unit.

Intermittent wiring problems can be a tricky thing. The simple act of swapping the units may have "fixed" the problem so I would really make sure you have that 100% sorted before moving on.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:01   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post

I like the victron less because it has no display and you need a laptop to adjust it.
Unless you have the Victron MPPT Control/display which allows easy adjustment of any parameter.

Old 02-12-2016, 19:41   #26

True that Mitiempo but extra wiring runs, finding a spot to put it etc put me off. And of course the cost of the controller nearly doubled the total outlay for a small 15 amp second controller.

If I was going to go 100% the victron way i liked the look of the bluetooth dongle and the smart phone app but again these are adding muchly to the install.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:00   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
True that Mitiempo but extra wiring runs, finding a spot to put it etc put me off. And of course the cost of the controller nearly doubled the total outlay for a small 15 amp second controller.

If I was going to go 100% the victron way i liked the look of the bluetooth dongle and the smart phone app but again these are adding muchly to the install.
I think you would have to find room for any display, not just the Victron display. As far as wiring only one cable between the controller and display.

Yes, it adds to the price but I think the Victron is competitive with the competition from the other major brands even with the display. At least it is in Canada.
Old 02-12-2016, 21:35   #28

Barra is your 15A controller a Bluesky (per your initial post) or a Victron?

The Victron Ive been looking at is the Victron Blue Solar 100/30. And now Mitiempo has referred us to the "Victron compatible" 100/50 controller marketed by fangpusun.
Old 02-12-2016, 21:43   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
And now Mitiempo has referred us to the "Victron compatible" 100/50 controller marketed by fangpusun.
That wasn't me, that was Soloauditor in post #22.

Victron does make a full range of MPPT controllers, all the way up to 150/85.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers

I have no idea what he meant by "compatible" though.

I work for a Victron distributor in Canada.
Old 02-12-2016, 22:02   #30

Correction noted Mitiempo.

Tags
mppt