Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 08:30   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Powering an electric dive compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
Those Victron units is what I was thinking but I am certainly not tied to a brand.
Mastervolt also a good one, but pricey and not as well supported.

Magnum definitely worth looking at too, I think that's pretty much it.

Spending that kind of money should get you a fair bit of included hands-on education and ongoing support from a real expert professional; choose your vendor on that basis.

Same with other pricey gear, don't try to save pennies DIY, the seller should be making enough margin so they are eager to help.

Nice thing about a boat you're not limited to local providers.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:40   #17

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Mastervolt also a good one, but pricey and not as well supported.

Magnum definitely worth looking at too, I think that's pretty much it.

Spending that kind of money should get you a fair bit of included hands-on education and ongoing support from a real expert professional; choose your vendor on that basis.

Same with other pricey gear, don't try to save pennies DIY, the seller should be making enough margin so they are eager to help.

Nice thing about a boat you're not limited to local providers.
I put Outbacks in my RV but not sure about them in a marine environment as no one seems to mention them.

I would agree with spending=education time. A follow up post of mine will include requests for electrical designers, preferably in Ft Lauderdale, to whom I can go with these issues and, hopefully, some more basic knowledge so as to not look like a dolt.

I would like to do some basic DIY, like run an outlet or upgrade an alternator, but I don't feel safe doing it at this point.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:47   #18

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Excellent! Is that an old model? Googling gets me a 10 but not 10E. I use HP steel tanks and would want to get the full 3445 psi.

Did you have to make any mods or do you just fire up the generator and turn on the compressor?

Aaaaaand, if the Panda did the job I wonder why the people selling the compressors are trying to steer me in a different direction.....
Yes, it is an old model, only mod I have on it is adjusted the filter cutoff to fill steel DN tanks, and I put a little 110 muffin fan on the motor to keep it cool because there was no airflow in the Laz. I had a small hose on the intake filter so that it had fresh air.

if fills a tank in about 18 minutes, and you have to manually bleed the water collectors about every 15 minutes. Here is the motor I have on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lable 2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	153530  
Old 06-08-2017, 08:52   #19

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

I run a bauer junior 2 off a northern lights 10kw and it doesnt even make it grunt fwiw.....
Old 06-08-2017, 08:53   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Looking at Victron, they claim the Quattro's PowerAssist is unique

But some googling shows Magnum has a line with what seems a similar feature.

I think Outback at the high end focus is on stationary systems.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:55   #21

Boat: KP 46

here is what the whole thing looks like, sitting in my garage on a furniture dolly. Case of Corona next to it so you can see the relative size .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp3lr.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	153531  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:02   #22

I ran a Bauer off a 7.5 Westerbeke as well (220volt) with no issues. That being said, I'd go with the 12volt hookah rig these days.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
I ran a Bauer off a 7.5 Westerbeke as well (220volt) with no issues. That being said, I'd go with the 12volt hookah rig these days.
Hookah won't help with a wreck dive. Maybe great for hull cleaning though.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:38   #24

I carried a Bauer compressor around on my 35ft sail boat for 3 years and used it maybe 4-5 times. Mostly I free dived, had way more fun and didn't have to lug tanks around.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:42   #25

I thought you may be interested in the reply I got from the compressor sales person. Does anyone know offhand how you can get 3 phase power from a standard generator?

I've reviewed the electrical requirements with both manufacturers and my technicians.
Basically your looking at an 8KW for a Bauer or Coltri that has a 3HP/3PH, if they have 1PH it may not be enough as 1PH draws more AMP'S at start up. Its all about starting the equipment…
They highly recommend that you have a larger genset in order to start up and run the equipment efficiently after start up. If you do this with the bare minimum you will not be able to run anything else on the boat while you run the compressor and you would be very unhappy with the compressors performance.
I want to give you the best advise I can so that you are happy with your purchase and all parties recommend that you have 12KW for the electric compressor. If your electric is 3HP/3phase you could consider a 9KW generator if you were willing to turn off everything to start up and keep it running efficiently. Let me know if this is an option...when we spoke you were not sure if you had single or 3 phase electric on the vessel (that will make a difference in start up power required).
Old 06-08-2017, 14:13   #26

Boat: Moody 49

I have a Coltri that runs off my 6Kva Fischer Panda. Same genset will run the smaller Bauers. If this is for private diving you will not need more nor I expect have the space.

It is very simple spec your compresser for your needs then spec the genset to meet the requirements.

I seriously doubt that inverters will meet even your possibly small Compresser start up requirements.
Old 06-08-2017, 16:20   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Powering an electric dive compressor

It will both start and run fine off of your generator, but not while your heating water and running a few airconditioners, and that is what the sales guy is worried about, most people really do not have enough sense to watch electrical loads and not try to run AC's and heat water while they cook with an electric stove.
They expect the boat to be like their house, plug everything in and run it all at the same time.
Once you get it going it will easily pump your tanks to 3600, which is where many people fill their steel exemption tanks cause once they cool you'll lose a couple of hundred PSI.

Also once you get it going, you should be able to run an AC or two, just watch the amp meter.

However you may have to wire the compressor to the generator direct, cause it's a 9KW gen. Divide 9000 by 120 and you get 75 amps.
I assume the boat is a 50 amp electrical system, if so the limiting factor is not the generator, but the boats electrical system.
Old 06-08-2017, 16:39   #28

The motor will have a far easier time starting if you always make sure to bleed off any remaining pressure from the intermediate and final stage air-water separators and filter housings. On my gas powered Bauer the difference in required "grunt" on the pull cord is considerable between pressurized and empty.

Be careful over-filling your tanks on the assumption that they will cool and be right at the desired pressure. In hot environments such as a boat, it doesn't take much heating to increase tank pressure enough to rupture the burst disc and that might be very inconvenient if you don't have a spare readily available.
Old 06-08-2017, 16:41   #29

Quote:
However you may have to wire the compressor to the generator direct, cause it's a 9KW gen. Divide 9000 by 120 and you get 75 amps.
I assume the boat is a 50 amp electrical system, if so the limiting factor is not the generator, but the boats electrical system.
Wire the motor for 240vac and your current will be half.
Old 06-08-2017, 17:03   #30

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I have dived may years with tanks, then I tried a hookah diving, what a joy. No tanks to lug a round or store no large compressor taking up space nor fuel to run it or tanks to refill. I got rid of my dive tanks replaced with a 12 volt electric hookah unit that is the size and weight of a tool box, it serves 2 divers easily to 15 meters. and has a 125' hose split in a Y with two 25' hose connected with two regulators.

The hookah runs of the boats battery bank, which is recharge by solar panels while diving!. It is the most amazing economic weight saving solution for sports diving. Even though it is hookah for safety I recommend taking a certified diving course.

I would stay away from buying single hooker air pump, insure to purchase a unit with a double pump output. or a gas powered ones, they are nosy heavy and difficult to setup as well as store.

Happy navigation experiences,

Kryg Skoiern IV

Quote:
We hope to sign the contract on a Leopard 45 this week and will outfit the boat with a compressor. I don't wish to have the noise, maintenance or fuel consumption of the gas or diesel models and a place that installs dive compressors has told me that a 9kw generator isn't enough to power the compressor. Huh? I have read here that several are doing it, though a search is not specific on how you are wiring the electric one.

In addition I plan to have two 3kw inverters on an lithium battery bank and lots of solar. Can you tell me how to get the oomph needed to start the electric motor on the compressor so that I can start sourcing parts and planning?
Closed Thread

Tags
compressor, electric