Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-10-2014, 05:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Lightweight Simple Portable Generator/ Battery Charger??? Ideas???

Ok, getting ready to shove off for the Bahamas for a few months....

My fridge demands are pretty minimal at say 40 amp hrs per day and other loads slight. Should be using under 80 amp/ hrs day.

BUT, I have gone super KISS with this boat. 180 (rated) battery capacity 6V gels tend to perform more like Trojan T-105s at 225 amps/hrs. Will have about 190 watts solar and maybe a air marine wind gen assuming I get it mounted and it still works/ $100 off Craigslist.

In addition, I have outboards that put out maybe 7 amps charging and no inboard AC system or AC charger.

SO, I'm thinking if buying a small petrol generator to help on those lean sun/ winds periods.

The obvious problem is an EU1000 basically puts out jack direct to 12V about the same as the outboards. Since I don't have a battery charger I'd have to fit a separate charger.

Does anyone have experience with an alternative setup with a generator that puts out a decent say 20-30 amps DC. It know Tanaka and a few other used to make some small 2 stokes, but they were noisy as hell and no doubt impossible to find parts for and some blokes will be paying the price of a new honda for ones on EBay.

So to make a long story short, looking for a standalone petrol 12V charger OR a small AC with small reliable charger. Don't really need it for gels as it will not be left plugged in unattended on the dock, so voltage will never get out of control.

cheers,
Jeff

Tags
battery, charger, generator