Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 09:40   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Portable Battery Charger for Equalization

Hello,

My Mastervolt Charger has an equalization setting but this would require me take all my 12 volt devices off line to avoid damage... some of which are wired directly to the battery gang and fairly inaccessible (e.g. Bilge Pump, CO2 detector, etc.).

I really want to take the batteries off the boat for equalization... is there a consumer charger that runs off 120 volt that allows me to set an equalization voltage and is still transportable in the boat?

Thanks!

- z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 09:40   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Portable Battery Charger for Equalization

I was going through a similar search and concluded that most of the readily available portable chargers are designed for the automotive market and are aimed at the novice user. The few that have an equalization program get mixed reviews. I haven't decided yet but will either buy a second marine battery charger with an equalization setting or an adjustable power supply as described in the linked articles.

Marine batteries

Battery Equalization Power Supply - SailboatOwners.com
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 11:06   #3

Boat: Amel Euros 41
Assuming that your boat is wired correctly there are fuses protecting the cables going to bilge pump and other devices that are connected directly to the battery. Pick out these fuses and switch off the main switch and use the equalizing feature on your on board charger.
ullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 17:37   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Portable Battery Charger for Equalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
Assuming that your boat is wired correctly there are fuses protecting the cables going to bilge pump and other devices that are connected directly to the battery. Pick out these fuses and switch off the main switch and use the equalizing feature on your on board charger.
That would be the plan but unfortunately, I would have to move the batteries (not an easy task) to get to some of the fuses. Thus, since I am moving the batts, I would rather just pull them out and equalize using an external charger. Also, I have not completed tracing all the wires from the battery bus.

I found a guy on my dock that works on boats who has an industrial charger, so I am going to do that and while the batts are out, work on tracing out the wiring and move/clean up the existing wiring.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, equalization