Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 01:54   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Lighting Circuit Breakers / Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
I have been out of the electrical game (workwise) for a while but to me it would be a very unusual circumstance to have a CB just as a switch. I found the following which I believe sums up the situations nicely

Using circuit breakers as switches?

An interesting issue we come across too regularly in installations, usually older ones, is where circuit breakers in a breaker cabinet are used as switches to turn lights and sometimes even exhibits on and off. Here’s an article that tries to explain that this is not a good idea. Breakers are there for the protection of your wiring and they are intended to disconnect a circuit when something goes wrong. If nothing else, using them as on/off switches will reduce the longevity of the breaker, and worst case there is a concern over the level of (fire) protection that a worn out breaker affords your venue. Circuit breakers, according to the National Electric Code (NEC) are overcorrect protective devices, NOT on/off switches. We therefore strongly recommend against this method of turning power on and off. ( Mad systems technology website)

The other comment I would make is the use of the word switch in the description of Circuit breakers. I and many other electrical proffesionals I knnow have always taken that definition as being able to turn the breaker on an off which by definition makes it a switch but not designed for use as a switch for turning electrical devices on and off. A circuit breaker is a safety overcurrent device.

Ozsailer

Don’t apply domestic and industrial “ code “ to DC circuit breakers on a boat. Carling, ETA and others specifically make breakers that are rated as switches . End of story.
Old 17-12-2021, 02:03   #17
Nearly an old salt

Lighting Circuit Breakers / Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Yeah, those are the real deal. Ive also gotten the bat handle version with the internal water seal for dashes.

I use the carling V series externally and internally I’ve used Chinese toggles. On my last boat ones I replaced 14 years ago we’re still working great

Currently all my cabin and reading lights are led types with touch sensitive some with dimming , I then use battery based 433mhz “wall” switches in two places to allow selected lights to be switched on centrally this also facilities exterior courtesy lights so that when boarding the boat at night ( from dock or dinghy) I can switch on the lights from a key fob

I’m just redoing my DC breaker panel over thde winter. Currently cabin lights are broken up over three breakers ( FWD, STB,PORT ) and nav lights are on separate breakers. I’m adding switches to allow me to select the correct nav switch combinations both below and at the helm .

I don’t get het up about Chinese stuff as an long term EE I can evaluate what I’m looking at. In the main most major components companies are making low tech components off shore anyway.

Medium term I’m replacing all the dc circuit breakers with electronic e-fuses of my own design this will remove much of the actual physical breaker switches and free up some DC panel space. Major functional electrical consumers will have dedicated switches.
Old 17-12-2021, 03:20   #18

Boat: Currently boatless

FWIW, when totally rewiring with a Bluesea panel, I installed separate breakers for lights (all LEDs) in the V-berth, saloon port and starboard (if one side goes for whatever reason, I still have some light) and the engine area. The V-berth has P&S reading lights and there are two red/whites on each side of the saloon. May be a bit of overkill on a small boat but that's my choice. Separate breakers for running, steaming, deck and masthead lights as well as individuals for depth, log, etc.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 05:35   #19
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
FWIW, when totally rewiring with a Bluesea panel, I installed separate breakers for lights (all LEDs) in the V-berth, saloon port and starboard (if one side goes for whatever reason, I still have some light) and the engine area. The V-berth has P&S reading lights and there are two red/whites on each side of the saloon. May be a bit of overkill on a small boat but that's my choice. Separate breakers for running, steaming, deck and masthead lights as well as individuals for depth, log, etc.

Breakers are typically protecting a wire run rather then a function hence typically the navigation lights are on separate circuits heh e separate breakers

Switches on the other hand can be arranged electrically and have ganged operation hence in my I will have switch to select navigation lights ( and to avoid incorrect sequences ) but the breakers perform a separate circuit protection feature.

Tags
lighting