Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2006, 00:16   #1

Electrical Panels/ Circuit Breakers

On my 1973 Catalina 27 sailboat. I have a electrical/circuit breaker panel. And there are two columns of switches.

On the right hand column of switches. I have two switches borken off. Could they be replaced without replacing the whole panels compliment of switches? Like I said. There are only "two" switches broken. The remaining others are fine.

Just wanted some imput on this subject. Since my time is coming up soon, to move and go start fixing her up.

Any welcoming imput is very welcomed!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 00:42   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
It really depends on what you want to use the boat for and how old is the pannel. The Pannels are not expensive. If you plan on cruising or kepping the boat for some time then replace the pannel and look at replacing the existing wireing as well.

If you need the broken breackers, you can temp put in inline fuses until you do the entire remodel.

Good luck.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 00:50   #3

I posted the photo of the electrical/curcuit breaker panel, on my photo page on this site shortly. Then you'll see what I'm talking about?

Maybe that'll help anyone to help me assess this out?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 14-05-2006, 01:22   #4

The photo of that electrical/circuit breaker panel is "now" posted on my members photo page, in the photo gallery.

I hope when someone reads my first post. And then looks at the photo. Then maybe we could come up with a good solution?

Old 14-05-2006, 02:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Kevin:
Yes, replacement Circuit Breakers are available, to replace the broken ones.
West Marine (for one) carries ‘Blue Sea Systems’ (& sometimes ‘Ancor’) Breakers, at just under $20/ea (about $11/wholesale).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 06:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
As an FYI, they can be obtained in 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 amp limits. Installation is with two screws on the front side of the panel. Do NOT buy the cheap "switches" - they are not breakers. This is an easy fix and doesn't cost much.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 08:46   #7

Thanks Thomas & Gord.

I figured that looking at it in person. And studying the photos that I took of the boat, while I visited Kai Nui in March.

The switches looked like they were apart from each other from the front of the panel. "Only" two switches needed replace. So I will only replace what is needed. And I'll visit West Marine or equivilant store!

Thanks guys!!

Old 14-05-2006, 09:33   #8

Per your post you stated that you had two broken switchs, I had a Catalina 30, and I replaced several switchs, on my panel. I do not recommend using a c/b as a switch. If you can not locate a replacment switch check with the Catalina Association.
Old 14-05-2006, 09:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
John:
Kevin’s (pictured) panel is definitely utilizing Circuit Breakers (for cct. protection), not switches.
Blue Sea Systems (& most other) “A” Frame Magnetic Circuit Breakers are Switching Duty rated.
You can safely use a (switch rated) Circuit Breaker as a switch ~ but NOT a Switch as a breaker.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 09:55   #10

Sorry Gord, I did not see the picture, just going by the post.
John
Old 14-05-2006, 12:03   #11

Thanks Gord.

I'll add that to my list of parts needed.

Old 14-05-2006, 17:15   #12
cruiser

Captain K: Your issues is completely solved here already. But... I had to put in some new switches (really breakers) in my panel when I installed those Iota 90 battery chargers. West Marine even had them in stock. It was a very simple procedure to replace them. Couple screws in the front, holding it in place, and the screws in the back to wire to. You'll have no trouble at all.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 20:29   #13

Thanks Sean.

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about them switches. And considering that I will be fixing that boat up. I wanted that very item taken care of, ASAP.

Tags
electrical panels