Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 15:45   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
IInstallation of Muir VRC1250 Anchor winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Coopec43, without wanting to derail er9's negative busbar thread, can you post your planned wiring diagram (either here or a new thread) because it doesn't sound like you are following best practice - but this might be my misunderstanding of what you have written.

For instance, is your isolation switch in the low current or high current circuit of your solenoid (assuming you are fitting a solenoid)?
Thanks for your advice. I am attaching the wiring diagram for the winch.

When building the yacht I have learned to think of one thing at a time otherwise you go into information overload. I installed the winch, deck switches, the 24V 100A cabling and the the solenoid a couple of years ago. I then decided I wanted to control the winch from the helm but have yet to pull the wires for that. Then I moved on to installing a myriad of other components on the yacht. Now I'm back to wiring up everything.

So that's where I am at as of today.

This morning I will locate the circuit breaker (somewhere in a locker near the front of the yacht) and install that but under the floor-boards?

In a couple of days I hope to have the winch working (using the deck switches), the microwave, power to the HWS and power to the galley, power to the instrument panel: I'm looking forward to that!

Thanks Wotname.

Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TEMP Winch 2.jpg
Views:	2179
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	181512  
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 16:40   #2

Re: IInstallation of Muir VRC1250 Anchor winch.

Thinking about it a bit more I could install the circuit breaker beside the inverter (under the companionway steps) without too much trouble. That would be within a meter of the batteries.

I just looked at the circuit diagram and realised the isolating switch is closer to the battery than the circuit breaker.

The way I propose doing it the circuit breaker would be closer to the batteries than the isolating switch. My logic tells me it doesn't matter..... ??

Clive
Old 30-11-2018, 22:12   #3

Re: IInstallation of Muir VRC1250 Anchor winch.

The chandlers market the switches as circuit breaker/isolating switch but when you read the Muir manual:

Circuit Breakers (Must be fitted to ensure warranty)
If the windlass is overloaded or stalled the circuit breaker will automatically cut power to the windlass and protect the wiring and motor. The circuit breaker should not be used as an isolating switch

Isolating Switch
This should be fitted in an accessible position for safety, ideally close to the battery or switches. The isolating switch is not a circuit breaker.

Tags
anchor, installation, winch