Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 06:28   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Muir Hercules Manual Winch - How Do I Lube it ?

I have an old 540kg muir hercules manual anchor winch on my 38' ketch, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to lube it? Doesnt seem to be any way to get into it other than pulling it off the deck and stripping it down, it works ok except the fast gear is pretty stiff (even without a load)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 00:19   #2

Muir Manual windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
I have an old 540kg muir hercules manual anchor winch on my 38' ketch, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to lube it? Doesnt seem to be any way to get into it other than pulling it off the deck and stripping it down, it works ok except the fast gear is pretty stiff (even without a load)
Hi,

I have the same problem (Roberts Spray 33) and am interested if you solved yours.

My local workshop say that they can do it for $AUD700 if I bring it in. If its coming off the deck then I would prefer to have a go at it myself.

Regards

Philip
halcyonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 00:54   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
E-mail muir for a drawing/parts/service manual or just pull it apart photographing it as you go for reference.

if you need bearings or anything major it should be obvious. Don't be afraid to do it yourself as i can't imagine it is too complicated.

I don't have one and haven't done this myself.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 05:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, charliehows & Philip.

See the article:
Muir Hercules HM1200 manual windlass re-build
s/v Bella Star: Windlass Rebuild

And/or contact Muir ➥ Australian Distributors - The World Power In Anchoring Systems - Storm, Atlantic, Compact Winches

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 17:56   #5

Re: Muir Hercules Manual Winch - How Do I Lube it ?

thanks a mill gentlemen, the sv bella article answered any questions i had. as the old girl is still working ok and i mainly haul the anchor by hand anyway, i'll put a clean up of the winch in the 'when i get round to it' basket.
Old 29-08-2011, 05:22   #6

fyi - have the winch out, so far - it still had oil in it - probably 30 years old, very sludgy but still there. at the moment the winch is sitting in a corner upside down full of diesel - I think the stiffness is in the still very good seal between the shafts and bushes, not sure what the next step is, if i strip it and ease the bushes the trick is to get it loose without starting it leaking. I'll let you know how i get on.
Old 28-09-2011, 10:07   #7

Re: Muir Manual windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyonv View Post
Hi,

I have the same problem (Roberts Spray 33) and am interested if you solved yours.

My local workshop say that they can do it for $AUD700 if I bring it in. If its coming off the deck then I would prefer to have a go at it myself.

Regards

Philip
hi phillip, I decided after taking the base off the winch and soaking it with diesel to get all the old oil out, that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the internals - the gears are so big and heavy for a manual winch that you could crank it for 100 years and not wear anything. A guy at the aluminium suppliers gave me a piece of marine grade aluminium that fit the base perfectly and i bought some 80 grade gear oil. Its back in place. Can i make the following recommendation to you - (this is what i did) - take the handle to a steelcutters and spend $20 on one about twice as long. I think the fast gear is stiff on all these damn winches.
Old 20-06-2012, 16:07   #8

update - i dont know when it happened but i recently noticed that the winch has freed up and now works beautifully - i hauled the anchor with one hand on the long gear yesterday, didnt even notice the extra load when it came out of the mud, realised i havent used the long handle for months. Worth persevering with these old winches, one thing you can guarantee, you'll never get stuck cos of a flat batt.
Old 01-11-2014, 22:28   #9

Boat: Alan Payne sloop, 12.5m, Sylph VI

Interesting post. I have a Muir Hercules, bought it second hand fifteen years ago, and have serviced it twice now, ie pulled it off the deck, taken the bottom plate off, completely stripped and overhauled. Interesting that the top gear is stiff in other winches, as is mine. I have often found it just as easy to haul the chain in by hand as use the top gear.
Re lubrication, I drilled two holes in the casing, top and bottom, threaded them, and inserted a bolt so I could lubricate the thing without pulling the whole thing apart.
I am now having a problem with the chain holder/gypsy, as the chain is slipping off it. Not sure of the solution, I think the gypsy needs to be replaced but where does one get parts? My winch has done a lot of work, but I am very wary of making the move to an electric windlass.
Sylph VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sylph VI.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 13:47   #11

Boat: Morgan Heritage 36 1977
pirate Re: Muir Hercules Manual Winch - How Do I Lube it ?

Thanks for the ideas, the bottom plate was silicone sealed so it took a little gentle prying along the edges to get it up. Once opened the grease was thick and lots of water was present in the grease I dumped it all out and will put in some 80 weight gear oil! I hope that's not too light may be I should use some 160 weights. The big thing is to get the water out , one medium speed seal was leaking but I think the bolt was loose, or not t.hight enough.
Good luck
jpsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 16:58   #12

worth persevering with these old winches - mines still working perfectly 5-6 years after i changed the oil and baseplate and i dont expect it to need much attention for a few more years.