Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 18:30   #46
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,048
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Right now reading the LiFePo4 threads for me is like a pig looking at a wristwatch...

Actually it isn't hard, but I don't want to have to spend time monitoring anything like that, that should be done automatically, I don't want my battery bank to be another hobby, I want to forget about it. You can charge your lead acids manually also, but most of us of course have automatic chargers for that, little model airplanes use a BMS, my dive scooter uses a BMS for it's kilowatt hour battery, I think even rechargeable tools have a BMS.
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 18:53   #47
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Some day there will be a conversion kit for $5000 + batteries, some time after that the prices will come down...
Heck I'm installing a 400AH LiOn bank now and I'll come in easily under $2500, so the cost is coming down. Once the BMS gets plug and play there will literally be a revolution for power management for cruising boats! Game Changer.

The 400AH LiOn bank will be replacing a 675AH Trojan T-105 bank.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 18:57   #48
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually it isn't hard, but I don't want to have to spend time monitoring anything like that, that should be done automatically, I don't want my battery bank to be another hobby, I want to forget about it. You can charge your lead acids manually also, but most of us of course have automatic chargers for that, little model airplanes use a BMS, my dive scooter uses a BMS for it's kilowatt hour battery, I think even rechargeable tools have a BMS.
Yup - Wouldn't be too many Prius' on the road if the owner had to spend 3 hours a day d!cking around with the batteries.

Hell - Owners don't even want to have to plug electric cars into a socket in the garage - LOL...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:13   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 153
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Hasn't this thread gotten a little side tracked?

Anyone have a good < $1500 high output alternator to recommend?
__________________
Foo and Bar
JoeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:38   #50
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Sorry about the thread drift JoeFish - Maybe it's anchor dragging...

But you are probably missing the deal of the week...

For Sale: 125A High Output Yanmar Fit Alternator - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:51   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 153
Re: Highest Output Alternator

125A is not what I'd consider high output these days for charging LiFeYPO4 banks. 200 outputting 160 would be about the least output I'm looking for.
__________________
Foo and Bar
JoeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:54   #52
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Anyone have a good < $1500 high output alternator to recommend?
I see you haven't been paying attention.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:00   #53
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 153
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Actually, MaineSail seems to be the only one paying attention. His two comments in the last three pages have 99% of the useful information in this thread.
__________________
Foo and Bar
JoeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:01   #54
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,060
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
Hasn't this thread gotten a little side tracked?

Anyone have a good < $1500 high output alternator to recommend?
See post #17... Balmar AT series for a small case alt is really difficult to beat... If you have room for a heavy duty off engine bracket then there are bigger alts but they will be more than 1500.00...
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:01   #55
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Highest Output Alternator

get yourself a delco 55, 420 amps at 14 volts, hairpin stator, about 80% efficient. Requires a 12 rib serp., be-careful of the nm side load. not many front engine power take offs can handle this but some can, you need a radial graph from the manufacture. you will absolutely need a spring tension idler.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
125A is not what I'd consider high output these days for charging LiFeYPO4 banks. 200 outputting 160 would be about the least output I'm looking for.
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:08   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 153
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
get yourself a delco 55, 420 amps at 14 volts, hairpin stator, about 80% efficient. Requires a 12 rib serp., be-careful of the nm side load. not many front engine power take offs can handle this but some can, you need a radial graph from the manufacture. you will absolutely need a spring tension idler.
Lloyd
I am almost certain our 3 cylinder L26 is not going to be able to push that, especially if I want anything left over for propulsion. We have big tides here too where we cruise (SE Alaska, etc.) so I need the HP from time to time.
__________________
Foo and Bar
JoeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:13   #57
Jd1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Posts: 1,096
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
Actually, MaineSail seems to be the only one paying attention. His two comments in the last three pages have 99% of the useful information in this thread.
I feel so unloved I was the first person to suggest an AT-200 and MC 614 regulator plus I pointed out that flooded lead acid batteries can't fully take advantage of that output.

BTW, one reason for choosing that alternator is case size and available room. Even with the small case size I had to shorten the positive output stud. So not only do you have to match the alternator mounting but also think about the entire installation.
__________________
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:19   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 153
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I feel so unloved I was the first person to suggest an AT-200 and MC 614 regulator plus I pointed out that flooded lead acid batteries can't fully take advantage of that output.

BTW, one reason for choosing that alternator is case size and available room. Even with the small case size I had to shorten the positive output stud. So not only do you have to match the alternator mounting but also think about the entire installation.
Sorry mate! You did mention the AT first so you get credit for good info as well.

It's just that I have had a couple Balmar alternators rebuilt by the guy who does our friends Porsche race cars (which need exceptional low drag, high output units) and his comment was, 'these Balmar units cost how much? There's nothing here that's anything special by any measure other than the white paint.'

That's when I decided that, at least as far as alternators go, I was done with Balmar. That and the fact I've had to have two of them rebuilt.
__________________
Foo and Bar
JoeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:24   #59
Jd1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Posts: 1,096
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
Sorry mate! You did mention the AT first so you get credit for good info as well.
__________________
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 22:14   #60
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
125A is not what I'd consider high output these days for charging LiFeYPO4 banks. 200 outputting 160 would be about the least output I'm looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
Actually, MaineSail seems to be the only one paying attention. His two comments in the last three pages have 99% of the useful information in this thread.
I think you may have stumbled into the "free" internet.

You probably want the "pay for use" internet where people can read your mind, and all the advice exactly matches what you want.

If you want perfect answers try writing perfect questions. This is like the dance of the seven veils - we get one parameter at a time as we keep failing to meet your expectations for a perfect answer.

Now we know the answer can't be Balmar... Oh and that Fitzall alternator you asked about on page one? Why don't you install one and let us all know how it works.

Honestly - I didn't see any bad customer reviews (at least on the free internet) except one dude who had a hissy fit about a return issue. They do seem to be aimed at the automotive market and think that painting it gray is all it takes to marinize it. Butcha prolly knew that from you own google search...

In the meantime it's OK to keep throwing rocks at all the free opinion and advice. No one really takes the free internet seriously anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	internet is wrong.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	85040  
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alternator

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
high output alternator on 3YM30 Yanmar? c.spots Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 01-04-2012 15:53
Alternator and Tach Output Issue harbin2 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 2 05-05-2010 00:16
Alternator Output Amps captain465 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 13-04-2010 12:40



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.