Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 10:01   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Heart Pathmaker switch making noise

My still "new - to me" boat has a Heart Interface Pathmaker 100A, 3 Battery automatic switch which I do not yet fully understand (along with a Heart 2000 inverter)
While still on the hard, I connected shore power BEFORE I had any battery connected and I heard a loud clicking which I am sure came from the automatic switch. Now, several months later (with a 4D AGM battery connected plus 2 starter batteries), I got another almost as loud clicking from this when I plugged in the shore power cord last WE. After a few hours, the sound level decreased but still a steady clicking (inverter always connected). Is this normal? And why would I get a loud clicking to start?
Second, there is always a LED or 2 on and at least a "hum" from this even when I have EVERYTHING turned off, a parasitic draw. Do I have a problem?
thanks,
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heart switch1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	91057   Click image for larger version

Name:	heart switch2.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	91058  

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:33   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Heart Pathmaker switch making noise

Google has the manual on-line, if you didn't know.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:51   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

These were problematic devices. Manta used them for a couple of years and I think all of them failed. Sorry, I can't help with your specifics, as our boat was not one of the ones with them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:05   #4

It should click once when engaged. (Charger turned on). If its constantly clicking it's probably bad.

Sounds like the first time with no batteries you allowed the charger to be on still. Which powered up the unit even though you had no batts. Making things live anyways. You need to be more carefull and understand what's going on when doing work.

Replacing it with 2 acrs would be easiest fix.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:19   #5

Blue Stocking - on-line manual does not mention this at all.

Smac - I had been disconnecting the battery while on the hard and forgot to reconnect battery before plugging in the shore power when arriving in the wee hours after a 7 hour drive.

The unit seems to work, green light is energized. Anyone know how I can verify?
thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
My still "new - to me" boat has a Heart Interface Pathmaker 100A, 3 Battery automatic switch which I do not yet fully understand (along with a Heart 2000 inverter)
While still on the hard, I connected shore power BEFORE I had any battery connected and I heard a loud clicking which I am sure came from the automatic switch. Now, several months later (with a 4D AGM battery connected plus 2 starter batteries), I got another almost as loud clicking from this when I plugged in the shore power cord last WE. After a few hours, the sound level decreased but still a steady clicking (inverter always connected). Is this normal? And why would I get a loud clicking to start?
Second, there is always a LED or 2 on and at least a "hum" from this even when I have EVERYTHING turned off, a parasitic draw. Do I have a problem?
thanks,
Ed
Not knowing squat about one. It sounds like it is old enough to have a relay in it with carbon on the lock in contacts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 19:34   #7

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Heart Pathmaker switch making noise

I have one of these. No loud clicking. I worried about the draw, given the LEDs are always on, as you mention. But my new Victron monitor indicates it is negligible; I have a 0.05 amp draw with the main breaker off. At least my concern prompted me to install the Victron, which I have found to be a great addition.

I keep an eye on what is going on, via the Victron, and for now it seems to be working ok. Replacing it is on the list. I think if it starts making a lot of noises, I might bump it up higher on that list. It does hum a little.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 23:14   #8
Marine Service Provider

Loud click is the relays connecting. Happens each time when a low SOC battery is connected to the charge battery. ='s high inrush current, check the parasite bats, one may be failing, or has a constant discharge drain???

Multiple clicking ='s relay chatter, likely a high resistance connection, either in the bat main, or the relay sense wire.

Looking at the pics, things seem high resistance. A big problem is in the lower picture where the bottom three wires, are not stacked properly.

Always stack the big main lugs first, then stack the smaller wires last.

If you have a high resistance issue its only a matter of time until something burns.

Please correct the stacking order first, as you do this inspect each of the crimp connections. Use a small SS brush, to brighten each lug, and all terminals, then torq.. to proper.

Lloyd

Quote:
thanks,
Ed
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 20:45   #9

Thanks Flying Cloud - I will do just that next trip. This weekend was just a minimal hum, no clicking. Same for the Heart inverter.

Cuttyhunk - I was thinking of adding a monitor also. Any issues connecting it with the Pathfinder? No worries plugged in at teh marina but once we are off, the parasite draw would be a concern.
Old 10-11-2014, 19:32   #10

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Thanks Flying Cloud - I will do just that next trip. This weekend was just a minimal hum, no clicking. Same for the Heart inverter.

Cuttyhunk - I was thinking of adding a monitor also. Any issues connecting it with the Pathfinder? No worries plugged in at teh marina but once we are off, the parasite draw would be a concern.
The Victron monitor connects to the negative cable on the house battery via a shunt, with a very small positive wire lead to the battery. It is completely separate from the Pathfinder. It was not difficult to install, but I did need another negative battery cable from shunt to battery. I can't monitor the start batteries with it, but I am mostly concerned with the house draw.

I found a noticeable increase in draw with the main breaker switched on, even with no panel breakers on. Perhaps it is from the backlights for the analog voltmeter and ammeter. I will investigate further, but not until the spring. Everything is disconnected for the winter while the boat is on the hard.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 18:24   #11

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Just Now I discover this forum .Anybody can give me a link toa manual of Heart Interface 220v 3-12/24 .It came mounted in my boat and works fine but I don't understand how to work .

Thanks Surazo
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise