Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2022, 19:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28
Amp Hours used overnight while at anchor

Hello,

When we are at anchor, which is a bunch, we usually run the genset an hour or so in the morning too top up the house bank some and maybe use coffee maker, toaster etc. and again later in the early evening when making dinner and some hot water for showers.

When we hit the sack the battery SOC is usually around 93 to 96% and in the am its usually down to around 85 to 90% SOC.

(We have a single LG 375 watt PV panel that is enough, on a fairly sunny day, to actually provide around a 5 to 7 DC charging amps even while running basic daytime things to include the fridge/freezer.)

Just wondering if 80 to 85 amp hours consumed overnight would be considered similar to most cruisers based on a House bank 440ah AGM bank (2 8D) and your nighttime loads, and all those dang parasite mini loads.

It looks to me that when everything is shut down for the night the only load showing is about 5 or 6 amps which is the fridge running and maybe a DC fan and anchor light.

This screenshot is a 30 day graph showing the AH usage (there are 2 days in the middle where we were at a marina and plugged in and did not use any AH)

Thanks for your comments...

JeffClick image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20220908-221525_VRM.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	264164
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 19:54   #2

Re: Amp Hours used overnight while at anchor

That's about what we use every evening.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 20:06   #3

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

That’s about what we use too. More if AC or something else is on.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 20:27   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Hello,

When we are at anchor, which is a bunch, we usually run the genset an hour or so in the morning too top up the house bank some and maybe use coffee maker, toaster etc. and again later in the early evening when making dinner and some hot water for showers.

When we hit the sack the battery SOC is usually around 93 to 96% and in the am its usually down to around 85 to 90% SOC.

(We have a single LG 375 watt PV panel that is enough, on a fairly sunny day, to actually provide around a 5 to 7 DC charging amps even while running basic daytime things to include the fridge/freezer.)

Just wondering if 80 to 85 amp hours consumed overnight would be considered similar to most cruisers based on a House bank 440ah AGM bank (2 8D) and your nighttime loads, and all those dang parasite mini loads.

It looks to me that when everything is shut down for the night the only load showing is about 5 or 6 amps which is the fridge running and maybe a DC fan and anchor light.

This screenshot is a 30 day graph showing the AH usage (there are 2 days in the middle where we were at a marina and plugged in and did not use any AH)

Thanks for your comments...

JeffAttachment 264164
I don't completely understand your graph but it looks like an average of 70 ah which is what you'd expect for a 12 hour night with average use of 5-6 amps.

However, the nights are cooler than days, right? So why does your refer run all night? I'd look at your refer insulation.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it ran all night, I imagine it cycles on/off as necessary but certainly less when its cooler...
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Fridge freezer units should run with about a 50 percent duty cycle or so I have been told. If yours is running more than that it would be worth checking out. I have hour meters hooked up to both of mine so I can monitor how much they are actually running.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 13:33   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Sounds about right to me. We do the same thing, run the genset once or twice a day (morning and/or evening) for about an hour. Our overnight use is in the same ballpark, depending of course on how much we use big loads like the toaster, instant pot, coffee maker, etc. while on the inverter.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 13:37   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

280 AH bank , runs down to 85% SOC worst case at night, ie 40AH fridge , anchor light , IT gear recharging, cabin fans
Old 24-09-2022, 17:06   #9

Boat: Allmand 31

I have a 440 amp battery bank. Overnight use 30 amps..running fridge/freezer making two ice trays, fan, led lights in the evening. I do not charge devices overnight. Using 80 amps seems like maybe the fridge isn't cycling right.
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 17:21   #10

If 80 amps is for an est 24 hr period that's in the normal ballpark (not far from what I use) with a similar battery capacity.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor