Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 08:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5 - Be Leaving
Grounding Windlass Solenoid

I could use some electrical advice.
I just replaced a solenoid on an old Lofrans Windless. Attached is a sketch of the wiring as I currently have it. It works fine but:
There was an additional wire (12 gauge) that was crudely attached to the Main Ground wire on the Windless (dotted line). I checked the 12 gauge line with a meter while detached from the terminal by putting one probe on the ground terminal and one on the 12 gauge. it shows no resistance. Also when I put a lead on the hot terminal and one on the 12 gauge I get no voltage. This tells me that it is not a ground wire and serves no purpose.
Questions:
1)Is my assumption in the ballpark?
2)Should the windless system have a secondary ground and where should it be connected?
3)What are the possibilities as to what the 12 Gauge wire is? A ground wire gone bad? A jury rigged ground for another device?
Oh yeah, this is a single direction windless.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windless Wiring.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	10999  
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Is there no ground on the solenoid? It is just a relay and needs + and -.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
when you say 'no resistance' to the ground wire, do you really mean 'infinite resistance' (no connection) or 'zero ohms' (good connection) ??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The (large?) Wire that you’ve labelled Ground (-) is the 12VDC Negative Power return. Although the DC Negative is grounded, it shouldn’t be called a ground wire.
The (dotted?) #12 wire may have been a bonding cable, intended to go to the ground bus.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 15:33   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5 - Be Leaving
Thank you all.
I tracked down the 12 gage wire and found that it is a ground wire for the solenoid as Gord said. The wire is broken so I'll have to pull another through the bulkheads. Just got a wiring diagram from a tech guy that sold me the solenoid. I attached it for posterity sake. Also added the wiring diagram for two direction wiring.
When I said resistence, I used the wrong term. I meant to describe tthe condition of infinite resistance.
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windless Wiring.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	11015  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring diagram for Separate Solenoids for motor.pdf (226.6 KB, 177 views)