Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2016, 12:07   #1

DIY diesel generator

Has anyone tried/have any experience with marinizing small Kubota diesel engine (e.g. Z482-E) and use it to drive hi-output alternator (e.g 300A/400A) to charge LiFePo battery bank? Opinions?
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 12:26   #2

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: DIY diesel generator

I did something like that. Take a look at my profile there are a few pictures of my generator that I put together to charge my LifePo4 bank .

O, and check out my you tube channel at the bottom of my posts , you can see it running

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 14:33   #3

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30
Re: DIY diesel generator

Nextgen out of Jacksonville, FL uses that engine in some of it's generators. They could probably help you.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 17:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
DIY diesel generator

Just be sure to use a Large frame High output alternator, or maybe even two of them, like a Leece Neville (sp)?
Through Nexgen you can get a heat exchanger and wet exhaust, maybe Murphy switches for oil pressure and water temp too, I use an electric water pump. Cruise RO uses one for a boost pump that runs continuously and has a fan mounted on it to cool it, ought to work here.

The little engine ought to be very robust as it's a ball bearing crank and an I believe a wet sleeve, and full pressure lubricated too, the ball bearing crank sort of confuses me though, with an oil pump it literally ought to never wear out.
It has an oil screen to catch carbon, no real filter. Change the oil at 100 hour intervals
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator