Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 06:56   #31

Boat: C&C 44
Re: Cleaning grimy shore power cable

Sailingveteirnarian has it right. Marine strip is a paint remover that also works very well and is recommended for cleaning power cables and fenders. Available at Boat Owners Warehouse, in Florida or direct from the manufacturer. Use a WHITE rag and a 3M scrub pad. Avoid acetone at all cost, it will make your problem worse.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 06:57   #32

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Fast Orange- that stuff that they sell in hardware and autoparts stores works great on plastics and doesn't damage them. I use it to clean my dinghy, fenders, anything plastic. You can just rub it on with your hand. Cheap and harmless and amazingly effective.
That Fast Orange works well, has limonene as its solvent.

If Fast Orange doesn't cut it, you might try MEK before Acetone, simply because MEK doesn't evaporate as fast as Acetone, so can work on the surface. MEK is a strong solvent, and toxic like Acetone.

Either way you go, glove your hands with medium nitrile gloves for either solvent, the chemicals will defat the epidermis and cause skin damage.

A possible probable cause of the crusty film on the sheath of the cable is that the plasticizer is leaving the plastic, which portends that the plastic will become increasingly brittle.
Time will tell, everything ages.

Cheers ~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 06:57   #33

Capt. Ray - I'd forgotten about Island Girl. It was great. They still have a web site but you can't order right now because the founder is on "an ocean voyage". They say it will open again in August. Island Girl SeaGlow was what I used. SEA GLOW? -"Seeing is believing". The original and best treatment to remove and prevent yellowing of Nike Sports Shoe soles and marine vinyl items.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 07:00   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

My Cable was really bad from the previous owner. I just used Clorox Clean up and a Gritty sponge. Results were spectacular. Will never look new again, no matter what you use, but it is not greasy and brown, but a bright yellow
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 07:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just spend the $40 for a new cable.. if the plugs are not moulded remove and fit to a length of appropriate cable for less cost.
The type of cable one use's for electric garden tools outdoors is perfectly adequate.
A bottle of Starbrite dinghy and fender cleaner is gonna set you back $19 so just bite the bullet now and replace the cable.

This was my thought too... although... where are you getting $40 shore cables?!?! Up here, they are $120 - $170 depending on length.

The way I figure it, the amount of time to clean a 30' or 50' shore power cable + the cost of cleaning materials + aggravation of having to do it again in one or two years... I would look seriously hard at all of that to see if it's more expensive than just buying a new one. At $40, it's a no brainer to buy a new cord. At $170... well... I might see if I could extend its life.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 07:04   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I was prepared to ignore this thread until I saw the acetone, MEK suggestions.

Please no.

These are strong solvents. While they may make short work of grime they also strip the plasticizers out of the PVC cover. This makes them brittle and seriously shortens life.

If ours get in greasy stuff I might use mineral spirits but the Agent Orange suggestion is great, preferred. Ordinary liquid soap undiluted is also good.

We normally use nothing but a damp rag and wipe off surface dirt. It doesn’t really matter what the outside looks like. The electrons don’t care.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 07:06   #37

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

For fenders and shore power cords I go with Don Casey's recommendation of paint brush cleaner. The old stuff not designed for water base paint. I've had good luck with it but things need to be recleaned every couple of seasons.
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 07:07   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
This was my thought too... although... where are you getting $40 shore cables?!?! Up here, they are $120 - $170 depending on length.

The way I figure it, the amount of time to clean a 30' or 50' shore power cable + the cost of cleaning materials + aggravation of having to do it again in one or two years... I would look seriously hard at all of that to see if it's more expensive than just buying a new one. At $40, it's a no brainer to buy a new cord. At $170... well... I might see if I could extend its life.
Have you $hopped for the$e lately? $tay away from We$t Marine.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 07:39   #39

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The type of cable one use's for electric garden tools outdoors is perfectly adequate.
If you are thinking of following this advice, please don't!

Your shore power cable needs to be made of the gauge (diameter) of wire rated to carry the expected current. That would be #10 for a 30 amp cord and #6 for a 50 amp cord. It also needs to stand up to temperature, weather, oil and grease and other conditions. It also needs a certain flexibility.

If you think it's a good idea to make up your own shorepower cord, I would strongly suggest buying cable intended for marine shore power cables and connectors intended for use as shore power connectors.

I believe that you will find that the parts purchased separately will cost as much or more than an assembled shorepower cable with molded, waterproof ends, something that you cannot duplicate with separate parts.

Bottom line is, the electricity doesn't care if the cable is dirty or not so if you cannot clean it without damaging it (acetone, solvents, etc.), your choice is to either continuing to use it as it is or replace it with a new, store bought cord.
Old 13-08-2021, 07:56   #40

Boat: C&C 41

Z cleaner has worked for me.
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 08:17   #41

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

303® AEROSPACE PROTECTANT is essential for longevity of the yellow power cords and fenders after cleaning.

Clean with the citrus based hand cleaners, a Scotch Brite pad if necessary, Finish wash with a little Dawn and then dry. Apply the 303. Let it sit for a couple of hours and then wipe off any excess. The 303 (with UV protection) helps to maintain the surface plasticizers. Apply every month, and wash the cord if necessary between with soap and water...
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 08:43   #42

Dollar Store lavatory cleaner. Wear rubber gloves and don't get it in your eyes (or mouth) Finish with wash in fresh water (or salt water if fresh not to hand)
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 08:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Have you $hopped for the$e lately? $tay away from We$t Marine.

Yes... Binnacle is my go-to shop and they are amazing. Like I said though, a new cord there is $120-$170cad. That's what... $96-$136usd. For some yachties, that's the price of a meal. For others, that's half a year's boat budget.

I'm just staying, if you're going to spend a beautiful day, scrubbing a cord, inch by inch... is it really worth it? You'll need to do it again next year.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 10:47   #44

Try Purple power degreaser, incredible stuff Cleans my fenders. Does not damage the finish.
martin.purser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 10:51   #45

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
What's a good cleaning agent to remove builtup grime from a disgusting looking shore power cable? Regular boat soap doesn't seem to do it... lots of scrubbing and very poor result.
209 will do the job. Actually any cleaner with a beuttle (sp?) cleaner will do. It has a distinctive odor and once you smell it you can always tell if a cleaner has it in the mix...
justjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, shore power